Fiction, Literary Ramblings and Thoughts, Other Musings, Why Not?, Writing & Writers

I’ve Been Tagged — Now You’re It!

Elizabeth of Scribbling in the Storage Room was “tagged” by a writer at The Writer Coaster.  Elizabeth paid it forward by tagging me and a couple of other writers to answer eleven questions she’s come up with.

Below are my answers to the questions she’s “challenged” me to answer — Thanks, Elizabeth!  After my answers are a new set of eleven questions to other writers that I’m tagging.

Now, please, come up with some of your own and pass them along to others…who knows, it may just spark some ideas.

  1. Where do you write?

I have a designated space/room where I write.  After rearranging a few times, I’ve shoved my desk underneath a window but my back’s to the doorway which annoys me, but this way seems to be working best.  If I can’t write here, I’ll take my laptop and a portable desk onto my front porch (weather permitting) and write there.

2.  What is your favorite writing guide book?

I have a few.  John Gardner’s The Art of Fiction, Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style, Stephen King’s On Writing and a few favorite short story anthologies.  Oh, and Terah Collins’ The Western Guide to Feng Shui because it helps me create a nice flow and energy within my writing space, so I consider it a “guide” as well

3.  What kind of book do you love to read but are afraid to write?

I love crime, mystery and suspense books.  Serial killer type ones that get into the minds of these characters.  I’m currently reading Faye Kellerman’s Day of Atonement where the protagonist is male, recently converted to Orthodox Jewish because he married a woman of that faith.  It’s set in Brooklyn and I’m learning so much about a subject I didn’t know about.  It’s fascinating

4.  What social media outlets do you use to promote your writing? Has it been a good experience?

This blog, Linked In and word of mouth from people that like/know my writing.  Contemplating Facebook, but haven’t jumped in yet.  It’s been great so far.  Blogging motivates me and I’ve “met” some other great writers from everywhere that are kind and encouraging

5.  Would you rather write a villain or a hero?

I guess I like a combination of both.  I love characters that are flawed but the reader likes.  Would like to try to write about a dark, evil person but haven’t tried it yet.  :)

6.  Do you set writing goals for yourself?

Yes, I’m a structured, organized person and I make lists.  If I don’t do what’s on my list, I berate myself for not doing it.

7.  Do you talk to your family and friends about what your writing or do you keep it to yourself until it’s done?

I share bits and pieces with my writing group and my husband, but I don’t go into alot of detail about what’s going to happen.

8.  What comment from a critique partner has changed your writing the most?

Years ago I attended a writer’s conference and a published author actually agreed to take my then too-long short story with him and mail back to me with comments.  He actually mailed it back to me and he said he thought it showed alot of promise, but it needed to be a novel, not a short story.  Turned out to be a blessing and a curse.  :)

9.  What kind of scenes do you find the hardest to write?

Ones that are emotionally draining.  I don’t care what any fiction writer says, there are pieces of one’s self in fiction and revisiting those emotional ups and downs can be exhausting!

10.  What is your favorite writing music?

Fleetwood Mac, Beyonce, Gwen Stefani, Collective Soul, Edith Pilaf, classical and even opera sometimes.  Depends on my mood and my characters‘ mood.   Sometimes the television is on in the background…

11.  When do you know a piece is done and ready for the world?

I don’t think I’m ever sure!  Sometimes I just let it out to the world and see what happens.

Here are my questions for you:

  1.   How old were you when you realized you had a way with words?
  2.   Would you rather write one extraordinary novel that wiped you out and changed the way people think (think Truman Capote after he finished In Cold Blood) or publish several, not-so-noteworthy novels that bring in a nice income but don’t necessarily make you a “famous author?”
  3.   How many stories/novels have you “temporarily” abandoned?
  4.   Do you work on more than one short story at a time or do you finish one before beginning another?
  5.   What author has inspired you the most?
  6.   If you could go anywhere to write and not worry about anything else, where would it be? (besides where you are now?:))
  7.   What author would you love to interview and shadow for a week?
  8.   Do you edit along the way as you write or just pound a story out and then edit?
  9.   What time of day is the best time for your muse to visit you — morning, afternoon, wee-hours –when do you do your best writing?
  10. Name one of your favorite characters you’ve created and tell me who would play him/her in the movie version.
  11. Who would you want to play you, (author extraordinaire) in the movie version of your life as a writer?

I’m tagging:

Brinda Banerjee’s Blog

Chitra Chatra

Mallisonwhat’s Blog

Aileen McGee – Write Now

6 thoughts on “I’ve Been Tagged — Now You’re It!

  1. What interesting answers, Brigitte! Thanks also for introducing me to some great blogs.

    Posted by Elizabeth | February 20, 2012, 2:23 am
    • You’re very welcome, Elizabeth and thank you as well. I’ve checked out the blogs you’re referenced and they are interesting as well. Hopefully, this will gain momentum; if not, it was fun anyway and thanks for including me!

      Posted by Brigitte | February 20, 2012, 2:29 am
  2. This was great! The questions were very good, and I love hearing writers opinions on such things. Well done!

    Posted by Ron Stempkowski | February 20, 2012, 3:10 am
  3. Wow! your answers make me think. It’s funny how we are all doing the same thing with different processes. Fascinating.

    Posted by Elisabeth Crisp | February 20, 2012, 5:30 pm

Enter your email address to keep up with all the latest Banter...I'll pop up in your email when you least expect it...

Join 1,561 other followers

Nice people who've visited

  • 60,803 visits

Copyright 2012 - 2014/All Rights Reserved unless noted
%d bloggers like this: