Non-Fiction, Other Musings, Why Not?

More Cheese, Please

Formula for Success for Ladies of the 80’s: Smarts, shoulder pads, lacquered hair and cigarettes.

My “playing” days were the 80s.  The decade of bad hair, synthesized music, lots of blue eyeshadow, orangey-bronzed skin, polyester and shoulder-pads, major shoulder pads.

Those of us who remember the 80s were influenced by those icons that influenced us how to dress and be cool.  Olivia Newton John inspired us to GET PHYSICAL and yes, I wore lavender leg warmers.

Both sexes had hairdos that defied gravity.  I have pictures of myself where my eyelashes look like spiders and my hair so Farrah-like, when the wind blew it, it did so in clumps.  We loved Aqua-Net. (BTW, that’s hairspray.)

I tried to find out exactly where the term “cheesy” came into play and I couldn’t find its original origin, but we all know what it means.

Hey Baby, got a quarter? My Ma told me to call her whenever I found the perfect woman.

It’s the guy who uses corny pickup lines, wears heavy cologne and lots of gold jewelry nestled in a thick thatch of chest hair.

I’m living the Impossible Dream with this mustache.

It’s the lounge singer that thinks he’s Robert Goulet or Tom Jones (RG and TJ are kind of cheesy, but in a good way).

It’s the woman with a terminal tan and talon-like nails (with sparkles) who drinks sloe gin fizzes in a jelly-jar glass.

Cheesy isn’t exactly campy; it’s a kind of dichotomy.  Cheese-sters think they are ultra-cool, which they are, really, because they most certainly have a confidence of not giving a freaky-deaky what people think.

We love the cheese and most likely we’ve all been there at some point in our lives.  Seriously, I have the pictures to prove it.

That brings me to some of my favorite cheesy songs (from all decades and genres).  Press the play button below each title of the respective cheese classics to listen (if you want to go to the next song of the list, hit the arrow button).  I bet you’ll find yourself grooving to them — it’s okay, just go with it.

Pour yourself a glass of wine, smart cocktail (or beverage of choice) enjoy and pass the cheese, please.

Nibble on Some Martini Lounge Cheese:

I like my gin sloe and fizzy.

1. What’s New Pussycat by Tom Jones

2. True by Spandau Ballet
  3. Cold Hearted by Paula Abdul
  4. Hit Me with Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar
  5. Magnet and Steel by Walter Egan
  6. Kung Foo Fighting by Carl Douglas
  7. These Boots Are Made For Walking by Nancy Sinatra

Take a Titillating Taste of Romantic Cheese(bow chika bow wow)

1. I’m Gonna Love You Just a Little Bit Longer by Barry White
  2. Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye
  3. Three Times a Lady by Lionel Ritchie
  4. Lost in Love by Air Supply
  5. Use Me by Bill Withers
  6. Babe by Styx
  7. Can’t Stop This Feeling by REO Speedwagon

Get Down on Some Funky Cheese: (disco ball optional)

1. Word Up! by Cameo
  2. Ice, Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
  3. Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) by C and C Factory
  4. Brick House by the Commodores
  5. Get Down On It by Kool & The Gang
  6. U Can’t Touch This by MC Hammer
  7. Get Up! by James Brown

23 thoughts on “More Cheese, Please

1. A fun list, no doubt! Play that funky music! ;^)

Posted by finally_write | May 9, 2012, 11:55 am
  2. I need a LOVE option for this (Love button sounds wrong). Seriously “Magnet and Steel” Ohmahgawd I love that song!!! Get Down on IT , I will get down on it. Brigitte, you have made my good morning even better! I used to get up two hours before high school started to get the hot roller in my stick straight hair so I could Farrah up.

I. Loved. The. 80s.!!!! Remember all the bracelets, there were times that I had 10-20 bracelets on.

Thanks, love this!

Posted by Maggie O'C | May 9, 2012, 11:58 am
    • Soooooooo glad I made your day, friend. I know what you mean. Magnet and Steel — so cheesily delicious!!! And yes, I was bangled up, fluffed and Sudden-Tanned myself. So nice to get appreciation and hope you’ll get one of those cheesy, sweet songs stuck in your head and it’ll take you back. That was the intention. Many thanks, Maggie! :).

Posted by Brigitte | May 9, 2012, 12:10 pm
  3. That is some excellent cheese. I may have to put together a cheese playlist on my iPod because of this. I miss the 80s very much, so thank you for the trip back!!

Posted by Madame Weebles | May 9, 2012, 1:48 pm
  4. This may be a litttle strange – but I listened to these and then put them on my iPod for my roadtrip today. I was one of those people you end up next to at a red light and they’re just going nuts in their car – dancing, air-drums/guitars, blasting the music. It was AWESOME. :)

Posted by Emi | May 9, 2012, 5:09 pm
    • Oh, Emi — you are such a sweetheart! Thanks so much and if you didn’t know about these songs, then I’m glad I introduced you to them. Good, good fun. And so glad I made your road trip better. It’s my b’day today and I just felt like groovin. :).

Posted by Brigitte | May 9, 2012, 5:20 pm
      • Well I’d say these are PERFECT songs to be groovin too!! :)

Happy Birthday!!

Posted by Emi | May 9, 2012, 7:14 pm
  5. I’ve always admired people who can look at a evade and pick out 5 or 10 memorable songs; where to begin? Good job; I could never do that!

Posted by morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer | May 11, 2012, 6:52 am
  6. I meant “decade” not evade. But some decades were good things to evade.

Posted by morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer | May 11, 2012, 6:53 am
  7. I’ve always enjoyed 80’s music – great post Brigitte!

Posted by BrindaBanerjee | May 13, 2012, 9:15 am
  8. Oh my God I am not ashamed to say I love the cheese music! As long as they get you up from your chair and get you dancing, they are fine by me :)

Posted by EdHarrison | May 18, 2012, 3:01 pm
  9. Ahhh yes the good old days! Thanks for the lovely memories.

Posted by Silverfox | May 21, 2012, 11:33 pm
  10. This made me realize that it was the 1980s when I still got around in a car and listened to the radio – and that’s why your musical selections are familiar and affectionately remembered. Thanks!

Posted by Margarita | May 24, 2012, 8:26 pm

Enter your email address to keep up with all the latest Banter...I'll pop up in your email when you least expect it...

Nice people who've visited