My “playing” days were the 80s. The decade of bad hair, synthesized music, lots of blue eyeshadow, orangey-bronzed skin, polyester and shoulder-pads, major shoulder pads.
Those of us who remember the 80s were influenced by those icons that influenced us how to dress and be cool. Olivia Newton John inspired us to GET PHYSICAL and yes, I wore lavender leg warmers.
Both sexes had hairdos that defied gravity. I have pictures of myself where my eyelashes look like spiders and my hair so Farrah-like, when the wind blew it, it did so in clumps. We loved Aqua-Net. (BTW, that’s hairspray.)
I tried to find out exactly where the term “cheesy” came into play and I couldn’t find its original origin, but we all know what it means.
It’s the guy who uses corny pickup lines, wears heavy cologne and lots of gold jewelry nestled in a thick thatch of chest hair.
It’s the lounge singer that thinks he’s Robert Goulet or Tom Jones (RG and TJ are kind of cheesy, but in a good way).
It’s the woman with a terminal tan and talon-like nails (with sparkles) who drinks sloe gin fizzes in a jelly-jar glass.
Cheesy isn’t exactly campy; it’s a kind of dichotomy. Cheese-sters think they are ultra-cool, which they are, really, because they most certainly have a confidence of not giving a freaky-deaky what people think.
We love the cheese and most likely we’ve all been there at some point in our lives. Seriously, I have the pictures to prove it.
That brings me to some of my favorite cheesy songs (from all decades and genres). Press the play button below each title of the respective cheese classics to listen (if you want to go to the next song of the list, hit the arrow button). I bet you’ll find yourself grooving to them — it’s okay, just go with it.
Pour yourself a glass of wine, smart cocktail (or beverage of choice) enjoy and pass the cheese, please.
Nibble on Some Martini Lounge Cheese:
- What’s New Pussycat by Tom Jones
- Danke Schoen by Wayne Newton
- That’s Amore by Dean Martin
- The Impossible Dream by Robert Goulet
- Mack the Knife by Bobby Darin
- Fever by Peggy Lee
- Soul Bossa Nova by Quincy Jones
Chew on a Few Slices of Rock/Pop Cheese:
- Let’s Get Physical by Olivia Newton-John
- True by Spandau Ballet
- Cold Hearted by Paula Abdul
- Hit Me with Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar
- Magnet and Steel by Walter Egan
- Kung Foo Fighting by Carl Douglas
- These Boots Are Made For Walking by Nancy Sinatra
Take a Titillating Taste of Romantic Cheese: (bow chika bow wow)
- I’m Gonna Love You Just a Little Bit Longer by Barry White
- Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye
- Three Times a Lady by Lionel Ritchie
- Lost in Love by Air Supply
- Use Me by Bill Withers
- Babe by Styx
- Can’t Stop This Feeling by REO Speedwagon
Get Down on Some Funky Cheese: (disco ball optional)
- Word Up! by Cameo
- Ice, Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
- Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) by C and C Factory
- Brick House by the Commodores
- Get Down On It by Kool & The Gang
- U Can’t Touch This by MC Hammer
- Get Up! by James Brown