News Worthy, Non-Fiction, Other Musings, Why Not?

Monday Musings and Motivations — Part Fifteen – Enough

54 thoughts on “Monday Musings and Motivations — Part Fifteen – Enough

1. Brigitte,
    There are so many meaningful posts today about the Colorado tragedy, it’s humbling. Yours is, of course, one of them. Much love my friend.
    Eric

Posted by clownonfire | July 23, 2012, 9:10 am
  2. you summed it up perfectly – and the final quote you used merely backed up what you said – thank you for this–and I will join you in chasing unicorns and rainbows–we all need to get a little lightness to shine on the darkness
    you are just an excellent writer

Posted by on thehomefrontandbeyond | July 23, 2012, 9:15 am
  3. Love the Thomas Paine quote and love this very thoughtful caring post Brigitte. Good luck with the rainbows and unicorns. I am thankful for a nice rainy day off….filled with quiet and great reading
    Audra

Posted by unfetteredbs | July 23, 2012, 9:17 am
    • Thanks, Audra. and yeah, the rainbows and unicorns — they show up in different ways…:). Though a rainy day filled with quiet and great reading sounds absolutely wonderful. Thanks, friend.

Posted by Brigitte | July 23, 2012, 9:23 am
      • the rain is my rainbow today ;0)
        we need the rain and
        my soul needs the quiet.
        My heart needed your post :0)
        Cheers to you!

Posted by unfetteredbs | July 23, 2012, 9:25 am
      • You are the best, Audra. Cheers to you, friend and thank you. xxoo (if we want to get really poetic here, I’d say your soul is the unicorn — effervescent, lively and lovely).

Posted by Brigitte | July 23, 2012, 9:30 am
  4. As dismal as our world sometimes looks, I mentally appease myself with the thought that at least I’m not a woman trying to survive Black Plaque Europe in the 1340’s. I know it’s quite a reach, but for some reason it helps me see the blessings all around me???? Depression = isolation, in my experience. And, isolation gets me no where FAST.

Posted by i mayfly | July 23, 2012, 9:23 am
  5. Whenever these tragic, incomprehensible events happen, I always see the rallying together of well-wishers, activists, human beings all, expressing love, concern, outrage, too. I am always heartened by the positive responses, the volume and intensity of them, that follow so quickly on the heels of the negative. That is the energy I align with.

Amy Goodman of Democracy Now (www.democracynow.org) offered the viewpoints of people who have been directly affected by this sort of tragedy in the past. They, in turn, offer a perspective tempered by reflection, experience, and time. Excellent teachers all!

Thanks for your thoughtful post, dear Brigitte. It reminds me to move through my day more mindfully. xoxoM

Posted by Margarita | July 23, 2012, 9:29 am
    • As always, you’ve said it so beautifully and spot on, M. That good energy — I love that. I will check out the link you provided — thank you. And if I have anything to do with YOU moving more mindfully through your day, then I’m am more than grateful. xoxo

Posted by Brigitte | July 23, 2012, 9:35 am
  6. Dear B,
    I’ve been hanging on to teachers of the light these past few days. One of my favorites if Marianne Williamson. She posted this on her facebook…and truthfully I don’t know if she said this, or if it’s a quote from someone else:

“Every form of darkness is a veil of illusion before an extraordinary light. Just knowing that the light is there, even when we can’t see it, give us power to invoke it. “Blessed are those who have faith who cannot see.”

Either way, I love those words♥
    Love, lis
    xoxox

Posted by Carr Party of Five | July 23, 2012, 10:01 am
  7. What a lovely, reflective piece. Perhaps even more than ever, now is the time to celebrate what’s right with the world. Thank you for reminding me to seek the good, to notice the light, to chase a few rainbows myself, as I start my busy day.

Posted by Deliberately Delicious | July 23, 2012, 10:05 am
  8. Thanks for that beautiful post. Well said. I believe the good in this wonderful world, far out weighs the bad.
    Here’s to living on the bright, sunny side of the street!
    Lisa

Posted by A Gripping Life | July 23, 2012, 10:21 am
  9. Always hard to wrap one’s head around these things. I can’t imagine what those affected by the tragedy as well as the community itself must be going through. Thanks for a thoughtful post devoted to the subject.

Posted by Carrie Rubin | July 23, 2012, 10:34 am
  10. I’m not so deep today … but hey well done you :-)

Posted by jensine | July 23, 2012, 11:20 am
  11. Beautiful, Brigitte. I haven’t done an Aurora-related post because I just didn’t want to give more energy to the badness. It was terrible but unfortunately it was only one of the latest examples of the hatred and evil in the world—we’ll never be able to comprehend the Why to any satisfactory degree. And there *are* good things in the world. They’re the little things that happen, or even big things that don’t merit a news story. Maybe if we knew more about them, the world would be a little less angry.

Posted by Madame Weebles | July 23, 2012, 12:03 pm
    • Thanks, MW and I hesitated to do so as well. I really did, but sometimes writing about what good can come out of a situation helps me makes some sense of it and maybe it will do the same for someone else or at least realize that there is more good than bad. And you’re right, little and big — goodness going on all the time. For some reason, it doesn’t make headlines, but I wish it would — more. Have a wonderful day and thanks again, friend.

Posted by Brigitte | July 23, 2012, 12:08 pm
  12. Nice post about a difficult subject. I tend to one that doesn’t turn on the news when horrible things happen. I think getting too caught up or obsessed is unhealthy. People should see movies if they want to and not live in fear. I hope the guy that did it gets the maximum sentance or a death penalty. Mental Illness is not an excuse they have psychiatrists and the health industry for that.
    Thanks for posting,
    Matt

Posted by mallisonwhat | July 23, 2012, 2:23 pm
    • Hi Matt, thank you. I think we all process things differently, so whether it’s healthy to or healthy not to, it’s a individual’s choice. I agree with can’t let these horrible acts cause us to stop our lives, but they do make us pause. There’s no explanation nor excuse for what this person did.

Posted by Brigitte | July 23, 2012, 4:00 pm
  13. Thank you for such a thoughtful post about this subject. It’s so difficult to comprehend the actions of such a person. But you’re right—we often see the goodness of others come through as well.

Posted by jmmcdowell | July 23, 2012, 4:12 pm
  14. It has been nice to see such grace being displayed and people supporting each other. Shock and grief will yield to healing, it is a process for sure, and we just have to remind each other to look for the good. Thanks for reminding us Brigitte.

Posted by Honie Briggs | July 23, 2012, 6:33 pm
    • Honie — it has been, I think it’s always there though and I’m certain you’ve experienced that lately with your recent volunteer/Red Cross work. And you’re very welcome — you do always do the same, lady — reminding people about the good. :).

Posted by Brigitte | July 23, 2012, 7:53 pm
      • Sweet! We’re like a couple of glittery bookends, aren’t we? :) I have to tell you I am in awe of those people. Energy and dedication, compassion and omg did I mention their energy? What a privilege for me to meet such amazing people.

Posted by Honie Briggs | July 23, 2012, 8:15 pm
  15. “What a Wonderful World” really is a sublime song, and a perfect choice to end with.
    Regarding your point about the news not talking about the good people do, I think that’s largely correct. Sure, you have inspiration, human interest stories–they’re often gone the next day. These stories inspire the most beautiful and noble emotions in people. But as humans are a reactive species, we stop talking about good things because we stop thinking about them as they first become the norm and then something which is taken for granted. But when something troubles or scares us, it stays in our minds. Hence the prevalence of ugly stories. They had a saying in print journalism (RIP), “If it bleeds, it leads.”

Posted by Smaktakula | July 23, 2012, 7:21 pm
    • Yeah, it is a cool song, always have loved it. Always works for me. I understand what you mean though and your perspectives/opinions always make me think, Smak. I mean that — and in a good way. As far as that saying, well, I guess it’s true but it’s still kind of gross, I think.

Posted by Brigitte | July 23, 2012, 7:54 pm
  16. Sigh…it was a dreadful event but you are right there are also good things happening the world that we don’t hear about because, I think, they don’t bring good ratings…for example, I read a paper that said that crime in LA has actually gone significantly down, but the reporting of crime has risen….

Posted by dianasschwenk | July 23, 2012, 7:28 pm
  17. Lovely post, Brigitte. At some point in all our lives, we really just have to stand up and say when enough is enough. And when we do that, we realize that life does go on, however difficult it might be. Glad to be starting out my Tuesday on such a thoughtful note. :) And that picture of the yin and yang symbol? Totally love it.

Posted by lillianccc | July 23, 2012, 9:57 pm
  18. Have you caught any unicorns yet? I’ve caught two, and you wouldn’t believe the mess they’re making of my backyard!

Posted by Kathy V. | July 24, 2012, 1:26 pm
  19. Well said, honey. All of it. And the best thing we can do as survivors of a major tragedy is sometimes to simply force our way through the pain and insist (for ourselves and for all who suffer and have suffered) that we live our lives well, in the moment and ever appreciative of whatever it is we have been blessed with–which, with some real effort and summoning up the best attitude we can muster, is quite a lot even in the worst of cases.

Posted by finally_write | July 24, 2012, 8:05 pm
    • Well, Sue you just said very well and elegant yourself. Thank you, friend for that. “Living our lives well” is certainly something we can do to honor. Wonderful, lovely comment and thank you so much.

Posted by Brigitte | July 24, 2012, 9:12 pm
  20. Live life well, breath in and out every day is all we can do. I have something to write on this later this week.

Posted by reptilesintheicecream | July 24, 2012, 11:11 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Following in the Footsteps of Some of the Great Bloggers « Someone Fat Happened - July 23, 2012

2. Pingback: Invitation To A Banquet…Of Ideas « Oh Yeah, I Remember Now… - July 25, 2012

Talk to me, tell me what you think....

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s