//
you're reading...
Good Things, Humor, Literary Ramblings and Thoughts, Love and life, Motivations, Other Musings, Why Not?

Monday Musings and Motivations – Part Twenty-Four – Adventure

I’ve been feeling a little mundane lately.  Too comfortable.  I feel the need for an adventure.

Ocoee. The same one that the Olympians trained upon. You get wet.

Throughout my life, no matter what’s been going on, I’ll get that itch to kind of stir things up.  You know what I mean?  Do something to get out of my comfort zone.  I think it’s good for the mind, body and spirit.  When I was younger, I rock climbed, rappelled down a mountain and went white-water rafting on the Ocoee.

I even once danced on top of a piano to the song, You Can Leave Your Hat On.  In a business suit.  Just because someone dared me to do it.  I was much braver then (and younger).

But the need for adventure doesn’t change just because we get older.  I think it’s even more important the older you get.  Elderly people have said to me:  “Everyday that I’m above ground is a good day.”

It’s much easier coming down than it is going up. Wheeee!

Hellz, yes, but I want more than that.  And if you don’t have an adventure every once in awhile, you forget how to.  If you stay away from one too long, you get too scared to try.

So, this week I’ve decided to give myself an adventure.  Hubby, as a rarity, has some time off and we’re thinking of all kinds of stuff we can do.  I’m going through a kind of dry period so the planets seen to be lining up just right, the iron’s hot and everything seems to be falling into place to do just that.

Have an adventure.

What to Do, What to Do….

An adventure doesn’t have to be some grandiose thing.  It can be just doing something, anything that is different than your normal ritual or routine.  We’re creatures of habit — we humans are.  We like our routines and before you know it, we’re ten years older and we still haven’t gone on that trip to India or Italy or Bali or wherever you’ve been telling yourself you’re going to go.

You’ve not finished that book (guilty!) that you keep saying you’re going to finish.  Or taken acting lessons for the hell of it.  I’m very good at making excuses but I’ve run out of them lately so I figure the best way to shock my system is have myself a little adventure.

I’m going to do that this week and I’ll let you know how it goes.  What adventure have you been wanting to do?  Share it with me and who knows maybe you’ll find inspiration from someone’s else’s idea of her/his adventure.

Even if it’s just an hour before or after work, why don’t you work it in this week?  You just never know what that little jolt will do for you.  Where it may take you and what you may learn about yourself.

I hope you’ll open yourself up to some kind of adventure this week and let me know how it went for you.  Me, I’m spreading my arms open wide (and my mind/body/spirit) and saying to the Universe:

Here I am baby — I’m yours.

Happy Monday everyone and listen to a nice tune below — it ought to get you going.  ;).

About Brigitte

Writer/Editor/Wanderer

Discussion

59 thoughts on “Monday Musings and Motivations – Part Twenty-Four – Adventure

  1. I don’t want to make anybody uneasy or give you a scary visual but that song is amazing and just caused me to dance in my chair for the last 2 minutes and 39 seconds. Okay, shake it off. haha!
    Great post Brig!! You got my blood moving and my mind racing. I was much more of an adventurer when I was young. Now I need a mini bar, room service, and a wake up call for any kind of adventure. LOL!
    I’m gonna try and keep this in mind and come up with something fun for this weekend. Maybe a road trip to Nashville? I’ve never been and I’ve always wanted to check it out.
    Thanks for helping me rev my engine this morning!
    Grippy
    xoox

    Btw… I’d love to see the table top dance of You Can Leave Your Hat On. Bet that was hotttt!

    Posted by A Gripping Life | October 1, 2012, 9:14 am
    • Grippy, isn’t that one of the best songs ever? It ALWAYS makes me feel good — always. I was too — when I was younger I was less fearful but I don’t want to stop having adventures and I know exactly what you mean!! I hope you will and share/write a post about it. I’ll let you know what I come up with but it won’t be dancing on a piano. :). That was long ago but I’m proud of it and I didn’t have to buy one single drink the entire night plus people threw money on the piano so I got tips. All that and not one stitch of clothing off but my jacket. Ah, memories. ;). Thank you my friend — rev it up, baby! xxoo

      Posted by Brigitte | October 1, 2012, 9:27 am
  2. ADVENTURE – I will have to put some thought into it — some small ones for now–the big one though is Paris (how the heck I will get there without taking a plane it the question)

    Posted by on thehomefrontandbeyond | October 1, 2012, 9:40 am
  3. Dear Brig,
    Sounds exciting! I may go and have lunch with the Littlest at School.
    I am scared.
    Is that enough adventure???
    hahaha!!
    🙂
    Love, LIs
    xoxo

    Posted by Carr Party of Five | October 1, 2012, 10:54 am
  4. Brigitte, we must have been channeling each other’s brains. I’ve been thinking lately that I need to shake things up a bit too. I’ll have think of a good adventure too. And Mr. Weebles could use an adventure too, I’ll drag him along.

    And the image of you dancing on a piano in a business suit is too, too good.

    Posted by Madame Weebles | October 1, 2012, 11:25 am
    • Yep I really need one! I was in my thirties when I did that — ha! It was fun and hey, I can say I did that. It was in Atlanta I think and sometimes you just gotta throw caution to the wind. What the heck, right? Here’s to adventures — lemme know what you get into. ;).

      Posted by Brigitte | October 1, 2012, 11:33 am
  5. Brigitte, Madame Weebles,
    Have you thought about a trip to Montreal? I know a certain clown who would love to see you both…
    Le Clown

    Posted by Le Clown | October 1, 2012, 11:31 am
  6. I am all for an adventure as long as it doesn’t entail bodily harm. Or disrupt my schedule too much. Or take too much effort. Or…

    Just kidding, really. Enjoy yourself, and I look forward to hearing about your adventure!

    Posted by Carrie Rubin | October 1, 2012, 12:40 pm
  7. I’ve had plenty of adventures to last a while. But, I’m always up for one more. Maybe I’ll be adventurous and go to the grocery store again. For me (if you’ve read any of my grocery store stories) this is truly an adventure! hehe 😉

    Posted by changeforbetterme | October 1, 2012, 2:15 pm
  8. Brilliant! I agree 100% and I’m excited for your challenge. Does it make me sound adventuresome to admit I’m wearing Crocs in public today? Probably not (in defense, they’re not the ugly kind). My vote for you, as well as my challenge for me is… Geo-caching!

    Posted by michelleatplay | October 1, 2012, 2:45 pm
    • Hi Michelle — thanks! Yeah that Croc-wearing thing is adventurous alright! They were so popular in Charleston, SC and I tried wearing them once. I felt like a duck. I think they’re better suited to tall people. Seriously there are some that aren’t ugly?? HA — you adventurer or adventuress. I had no idea what Geo-caching was so I googled it. I don’t think I could do it — sounds too much like a “Great Race kind of thing.” But it sounds like you’re in good company — five million people do this — how do you find the time? Happy Adventures, Michelle and thank you for your comment. 😀

      Posted by Brigitte | October 1, 2012, 4:35 pm
  9. Great, non-jarring music today!
    I agree with you wholeheartedly about needing adventure in one’s life. However, adventure is where you find it. My wife has tried sky-diving, but I never will. Nor do I imagine i’ll ever bungee-jump or climb a mountain. Those things just aren’t for me.\
    I think life can be an adventure if you live it right. The trick is training yourself to find things which are new and wondrous.

    Posted by Smaktakula | October 1, 2012, 4:19 pm
    • Good, Smak — glad you enjoyed. I would never jump out of an airplane or bungee-jump. The rock-climbing was a phase and I wouldn’t do that now either. Scuba-diving? NO. This is exactly my point — an adventure doesn’t have to mean completing an Ironman or climbing Mount Everest — it can be a simple thing and like you said, finding the new and wondrous in those things that we may overlook sometimes. Thank you!

      Posted by Brigitte | October 1, 2012, 4:31 pm
  10. Hmm, an adventure on top of my baby steps out of my comfort zone this last weekend. That would be an eventful week for me! But you’re right. We need to take them or we get too scared to do it in the future. I’m looking forward to hearing about yours, and I’ll see if I can come up with something for me. 🙂

    Posted by jmmcdowell | October 1, 2012, 4:45 pm
    • You’ve already started yours. I guess it gets easier with those baby steps? I hope so. Look forward to hearing more about yours too, J and thank you. (P.S. I bet you’re rocking those RED jeans, aren’t you?) ;).

      Posted by Brigitte | October 1, 2012, 4:48 pm
  11. I want to play ice hockey again!

    Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | October 1, 2012, 7:09 pm
  12. dancing? rock climbing? rafting?rappelling? Mmmm I am way to vanilla for adventures. Boring with a capital B. However I loved the positive vibes in this post and the music is always something I look forward too. 🙂 You never fail to make me smile. I look forward to your adventure post– and everyone else’s too. As for me, going to the mailbox is an adventure (smile)

    Posted by unfetteredbs | October 1, 2012, 7:46 pm
    • Audra, that’s was many moons ago — alas youth! That’s replaced with biking, fast-walking and occasional trips to the gym (yuck) but it’s time for something fun. Adventure can be many things. Seems to me you have plenty from reading your haikus and poems. ;). Thank you for saying that — positive vibes are a good thing.

      Posted by Brigitte | October 1, 2012, 7:49 pm
  13. I don’t think I really am on an adventure until I’m smack dab in the middle of it. And then I’ll look around and think, how the heck did I get here?? I’m like you in that I don’t like things to stay the same for too long. Not everyone can understand this but I think we make our own lives more interesting that way. 😉 Lovely post once again, Brigitte.

    Posted by lillianccc | October 1, 2012, 9:47 pm
    • Lillian, I never thought of it that way but you know, you’re so right. I’ve experienced that as well! You, my friend, are on an incredible adventure — one that took a lot of confidence and strength. You just never know what’s around the corner — that in itself, is an adventure. ;). Thank you!

      Posted by Brigitte | October 2, 2012, 7:52 am
  14. Adventure…I like that Brigitte! Recently, I’m endeavoring to draw/paint. Since stick figures have, traditionally, been my specialty, doing a watercolor of a column in the subway or the flower box in the cafe garden has been quite the adventure in expression! Also, now that I remember that my cell phone is a camera, every time I set foot outdoors becomes a photo op adventure. And this weekend, my sweet husband and I will spend a couple of days by the ocean. Looks like these days Adventure’s my middle name! xoxoM

    Posted by Margarita | October 1, 2012, 11:52 pm
    • Margarita, you do have much adventure going on right now. That’s a good thing. Everything you’ve mentioned are things I love to do. Can’t wait to hear about more of your adventures! Thank you.

      Posted by Brigitte | October 2, 2012, 7:53 am
  15. I wish I could say I feel adventurous….I want to go get a massage. That’s an adventure, right? I’d like to do a beautiful hike somewhere….I think I would be really happy with that. Somewhere, totally away from it all. Hope you find the perfect adventure for you and your hubby. Have fun!

    Posted by The Bumble Files | October 2, 2012, 1:26 am
  16. I have strayed into too much play time since my paddleboard adventure turned to obsession. This week’s adventure is to focus on work and the house. Have fun!!

    Posted by Katie | October 2, 2012, 6:55 am
  17. I’m too settled to get adventurous 🙂

    Posted by Roly | October 2, 2012, 7:18 am
  18. Great post, Brigitte. I look forward to hearing about your upcoming adventure. My favorites are my adventures with Peter for our annual Scuba trip. As I write this I’m on a high speed ferry to Provincetown on Cape Cod. I’ll let you know how it goes!
    Cathy

    Posted by Cathy Ulrich | October 2, 2012, 9:12 am
    • Thank you, Cathy. Your adventure sounds like a great one!!! I can’t wait to hear more about it. I’ve been to Provincetown — it is sooooo nice. xxoo

      Posted by Brigitte | October 2, 2012, 9:41 am
      • I’ve never been, even though I lived in Boston for three years. Peter and I want to rent bikes and ride over to the national seashore as well as to check out the town. Should be fun!

        Posted by Cathy Ulrich | October 2, 2012, 9:47 am
      • Oh you will love it!! The Cape is beautiful…been there are few times. Can’t wait to hear about your adventures, Cathy.

        Posted by Brigitte | October 2, 2012, 10:02 pm
  19. Great stuff, and too true! Things have gotten cozy… too cozy. I know that I, personally, am long overdue for a dose of something to reinsert that joie de vivre into my daily goings on. Thanks for getting my brain stirring on the topic!

    Posted by Keenan Rodgers | October 2, 2012, 10:24 am
  20. Adventure is definitely one of the reason to wake up in the morning! even if we have so much to do that the society tells us to, we need to keep that part of us that needs and craves for the adventure and we need to find a moment to make it happen. I’m currently living my own adventure, moved to Mexico, being with the love of my life, getting ready for the next trip, I love this!

    Brigitte, everybody, don’t let routine sink in! there’s always an adventure wainting for you at the corner of the street! Go! I’ll be waiting your report on next week-end adventures, Brigitte!
    Cheers!
    Jul’

    Posted by Les Petits Pas de Juls | October 2, 2012, 11:31 am
    • Hi Jules, I feel you, I do my friend. Have loved your pics lately, btw and voted for you. You sound as if you’re in the middle of a great adventure and I so wish you well! I am on an adventure now…stay tuned. xxoo

      Posted by Brigitte | October 2, 2012, 10:06 pm
  21. Thanks for the push, Brigitte. I’m a “nester” and a mad lover of routine. Mulling over an out-of-my-comfort-zone adventure now. . . It’s high time. I’ll report back! T.

    Posted by Theadora | October 2, 2012, 5:07 pm
    • T, seriously you are on an adventure every day with your beautiful Paris pics and musings. I LOVE your blog and you’re brought one of those places that I will see to a much more beautiful and personal level for me — simply from reading you. Thank you and I look forward to more of your adventures!

      Posted by Brigitte | October 2, 2012, 10:08 pm
  22. So what are you going to do??

    Posted by Maggie O'C | October 2, 2012, 6:38 pm
  23. Sorry to again get to this Monday Musings post so obscenely late … For me, a lame adventure (my specialty) can happen anywhere from the confines of my sanctum santorum or any place I happen to go in the vast metropolis that is New York City. I’ve recently hurt my left knee so I’m a bit hobbled these days, or dare I say it, I’m lame, so I’m taking it easy until I can see a doctor next week.

    Posted by lameadventures | October 3, 2012, 12:54 am
    • V, please…whenever you stop by is appreciated! I thought of you when I wrote this post because you are Queen of Adventure! I’m with you, an “adventure” can occur right at home. I hope you feel better soon! Did you hurt your knee on one of your adventures? Relax and baby your hurt knee and hope you get all better soon. :D. Thank you!!

      Posted by Brigitte | October 3, 2012, 9:33 am
      • I have no idea how I hurt my knee. One minute it was fine and for the next three weeks it’s been throbbing. There goes the conga line dancing for the time being.

        Posted by lameadventures | October 3, 2012, 10:15 am
  24. I wish I could DOUBLE or TRIPLE click the like button on this. “If you stay away from one too long, you get too scared to try” is where I am at, and trying to create small acheivable adventures when you have been trapped in CrazyTown a long time is hard.

    I applaud your adventures!! I keep making lists of mine, and someday will cross them off. 😉

    Posted by reptilesintheicecream | October 3, 2012, 12:33 pm
  25. I love the vision of you on a piano dancing to that song — sexy!

    I’ve been threatening to take guitar lessons. Reading this reminds me to get on that!

    Posted by Sword-chinned bitch | October 3, 2012, 11:22 pm
  26. Great blog, Brigitte. And a great reminder that we all need to mix things up once in a while.

    Posted by Ron Stempkowski | October 8, 2012, 6:56 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Pingback: Monday Musings & Motivations — Part Twenty-Five — Home « Brigitte's Banter - October 8, 2012

Leave a reply to Brigitte Cancel reply

Join 1,794 other subscribers

Archives

For Monday Musings

Copyright Notice

Copyright 2012-Infinity/All Rights Reserved forever and always, unless noted

Words of the Day

sheesh
/SHēSH/
exclamation

INFORMAL
exclamation: sheesh
  1. used to express disbelief or exasperation.
    “Sheesh! Why can’t you talk to me, you know, like normally?”
Origin
1950s: probably an alteration of jeez.