Fiction, News Worthy, Other Musings

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller is 50!

Henry Miller

Did you see this past Sunday’s New York Times Book Review section?  The famous (and some considered infamous) Tropic of Cancer is 50 years old.  Wow!  Remember the first time you picked up and perused through that?

Read the story by Jeanette Winterson of the New York Times.

(If you have trouble with the link below and it takes you to the New York Times sign in page, simply google “The Male Mystique of Henry Miller, New York Times.)

The Male Mystique of Henry Miller

2 thoughts on “Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller is 50!

  1. I read this too! I’m happy for the information, but the critique didn’t highlight the actual book on Miller at all, but gave her own history of Miller. And the last sentance of the article irked me. Paraphrasing it is said something like ‘the real question is why men want to mistreat woman?” Is she really judging Miller that much on today’s standards of sexism? That book is so much more then sex with themes about starving, and philosohpy. The reviewer seemed a little harsh, but I wonder what the book’s opinion of Miller was. I find that a lot of NYT reviews. I’ll read a review, and not really know much about the book being reviewed.

    Posted by matt | February 2, 2012, 7:06 pm
    • It did seem to be a diatribe about the man/author — more about that than the actual book! I think it’s known as a kind of “fictional” autobiography. I’m sure he did go through some of those trials and tribulations (and magnified those experiences), but it is known as a revolutionary book. But I agree, the title was misleading — I thought it would be more about the book, not so much Miller, the man. Didn’t get the last sentence myself; seemed a bit out of place to me as well.

      Posted by Brigitte | February 2, 2012, 7:33 pm

Talk to me, tell me what you think....

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture

Facebook photo

Google+ photo

Connecting to %s

Word of the Day:

harmony
noun har·mo·ny \ˈhär-mə-nē\

the combination of simultaneous musical notes in a chord

the structure of music with respect to the composition and progression of chords

the science of the structure, relation, and progression of chords

pleasing arrangement of parts : congruence

agreement, accord

internal calm : tranquility

an interweaving of different accounts into a single narrative

a systematic arrangement of parallel literary passages (as of the Gospels) for the purpose of showing agreement or harmony

Copyright Notice

Copyright 2012-2017/All Rights Reserved unless noted
%d bloggers like this: