//
you're reading...
Literary Ramblings and Thoughts, Non-Fiction, Why Not?

Missed Monday Musings and Motivations – Part Nine – Family

Family Time

I’ve been out of my blogging family for brief period and I’ve missed everyone!  I’ve not been commenting on blogs as much or posting.  I had a good reason for doing so; I was visiting family and when I do, I unplug, for the most part.

There are those times when it’s necessary to do so, I think.  Put aside all those distractions (blog-wise, work-wise and all) to focus on family.  I don’t get to see my immediate family that much, once a year, twice if I’m lucky.  When I do, that week is filled with catching up.  I see the changes in my loved ones and they in me.  Some things stay the same while others knock you for a loop, know what I mean?

Ch-Ch-Changes…

I see the biggest changes in my nieces and nephews.  A year can make an enormous difference in an adolescent’s life.  My nephews, all sinewy, man-like with deeper voices.  My nieces, tall and slender — becoming beautiful young women.  I can see who they are going to be — the people they will become as adults.  It’s so bittersweet because I was there for two of their births — I held them in my arms when they were just a few hours old.  I have those pictures on my fridge.

My sisters all have children and they’re rushing around doing this and that for them. When I was a child, my summers were playing in the backyard, writing, painting, drawing.  Simple things.  Now, there’s lacrosse, music lessons, cheerleading camps, school activities, SATs, ACTs and all the enormous preparation that goes with trying to apply for college.  One nephew is a year away from that, the other three.   I’m amazed they can do it all.

When I come home, their lives are disrupted.  We all get together for family dinners.  We cooked out, went downtown for lunch, explored an 1800’s estate.  My husband and I visited the place where we had our first date and the neighborhood we lived in when we decided to move in together.  We drove by the house we lived in — we were married in that backyard.

Two of my sisters have lived there their entire lives.  One left for years and is back again, living and raising her children there.  I always had a wanderlust; leaving home at 18, but always “coming home” to visit.  Funny, how it hasn’t been “home” for the majority of my life, but I always refer to it as that.

We drank wine, laughed, argued, made up and when I left, we all hugged each other, saying, “The next time we’ll do this, or that…”  The things we meant to do, but time got away from us.  So I’ll spend the next week, decompressing and missing them and I’d like to think they’re doing the same.  Then our lives, the ones we all chose, will go back to normal until the next time.

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Up in the clouds on my way home…

When I hugged my Mom and Dad, I saw myself in them.  My Dad’s fairness, my mother’s wavy hair, the shape of my eyes so like her’s, the color of mine, blue like his.  I always cry.  My heart nearly bursts with loving them.  In the back of my mind, I’m thinking…they’re getting older and I’m missing all this.  But they want me to be happy, so they’ve always accepted, Brigitte’s the one who has to go different places, so we’ll be here whenever she wants to visit.

So, I tuck those memories and moments away to pull out when I’m missing them.

We all have those great things we’ve done in life — awards, professional milestones, a great vacation, but it’s really those moments with the people that know and love you the most that are the most precious and most likely the ones you’ll remember at your life’s end.  Not the great job, but those big belly laughs, those fights when you each get so passionate about trying to get your point across and then making up and loving each other — despite all that, no matter what.

Baz Luhrmann’s Everybody’s Free has a couple of points relevant to this post:

Get to know your parents.  You never know when they’ll be gone for good.  Be nice to your siblings.  They’re the best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on.  Work hard to bridge the gap in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Manhattan at 4,000 feet

Can you tell I’m a little misty and emotional?  The weird thing is I’ve missed this blogging thing — this strange (and I mean that in the best way) little family I’ve come to know since I began doing this.  So, I’m back, back in the New York groove and I’ll get to back to my life now — working, playing, blogging, writing — the life I’ve chosen.

Happy late Monday (and Tuesday) everyone, and I just had to do it.  Press play below and listen to Everybody’s Free.  Warning:  it’ll make you all misty.

~   ~   ~

Photo creds:  Family sculpture

About Brigitte

Writer/Editor/Wanderer

Discussion

26 thoughts on “Missed Monday Musings and Motivations – Part Nine – Family

  1. Yay, welcome back, I’ve missed you! And I got a little verklempt reading your post. It’s wonderful that you have this kind of relationship with your family, not everyone does. It’s very sweet and uplifting to read about. 🙂

    Posted by Madame Weebles | June 12, 2012, 12:45 pm
  2. Welcome back Brigitte.

    Posted by Honie Briggs | June 12, 2012, 12:55 pm
  3. Welcome Back! You need to unplug and connect with the physical beings in your life – ha! Have a Great Week:)

    Posted by cravesadventure | June 12, 2012, 1:31 pm
  4. Welcome back Brigitte. Your post SO resonated with me. Have been feeling a little misty myself this week. Thank God for Skype. 🙂

    Posted by floatingwiththebreeze | June 12, 2012, 2:56 pm
  5. welcome back, you are a lucky lady and thanks for sharing your trip 😉

    Posted by unfetteredbs | June 12, 2012, 7:49 pm
  6. You’re right. I know the older I get the more important it is for me to connect with my family. Welcome back online!

    Posted by dianasschwenk | June 12, 2012, 10:09 pm
  7. I wish I had that kind of relationship with my family. We can make it about two days in the same place before the fighting starts, and not the kind of fighting that ends with loving each other. I have to admit, I’m a bit jealous of you right now. But I’m glad you’re back!

    Posted by Kathy V. | June 12, 2012, 10:13 pm
  8. Glad you had a good family reunion!

    Posted by drewpan | June 12, 2012, 11:46 pm
  9. I’m back, too… in CA, that is! So much to catch up on now, but it’s worth the mad rush as I reflect on the new memories made in NY. The older I get, though, the more choked up I get on the good-byes. I know every time might be the last time, and truly take it to heart. So happy for you that you reconnected with those you love.

    Peace. Love. 🙂

    Posted by finally_write | June 12, 2012, 11:49 pm
  10. I’m just back from visiting my parents and can so relate to what you said.. loved it..:)

    Posted by hemadamani | June 13, 2012, 9:16 am
  11. I am jealous of you…..I never had a family so loving and caring and welcoming as yours. Atleast you feel the need to go and meet them, I have dried up of all those feelings.
    Welcome back 🙂

    Posted by shimmeshine | June 14, 2012, 3:00 am
  12. At least you know how lucky you are with your loving family. So many only realise it when it’s too late and the bonds are stretched too far, or some do know how lucky they are and their parents die young (as in my case)…either way a tragedy. Wonderful blog, brave and emotionally honest – welcome back.

    Posted by blarneybounce | June 20, 2012, 3:06 pm
    • I do know how lucky I am — thank you. I think this happens as we get older and realize what’s really important. Thank you so much for your kind, kind comments — they are so greatly appreciated. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | June 20, 2012, 3:16 pm

Leave a reply to Brigitte Cancel reply

Join 1,794 other subscribers

Archives

For Monday Musings

Copyright Notice

Copyright 2012-Infinity/All Rights Reserved forever and always, unless noted

Words of the Day

sheesh
/SHēSH/
exclamation

INFORMAL
exclamation: sheesh
  1. used to express disbelief or exasperation.
    “Sheesh! Why can’t you talk to me, you know, like normally?”
Origin
1950s: probably an alteration of jeez.