//
About Me

brigittebw
Brigitte works as a real estate editor and writer for a Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper. She has been a freelance writer/editor for several years.  She has written numerous articles, ghostwritten an ebook, written website content, jacket covers and bios for authors (and other professionals) and penned her own column at one time.

Her writing has appeared in the Post and Courier, Charleston Style & Design Magazine, Skirt Magazine,  Navel Expo magazine and others.

Her other life experiences include winning lightweight bodybuilding competitions (albeit, very long ago), working in sales/marketing, public relations and fundraising; and as a traffic reporter and on-air personality. Her philosophy is that every life experience provides endless material for her writing (and she has the 30 plus journals since the age of 13 to prove it).

She works in stops and starts on her ever-present, ever-evolving, need-finish-it-at-some-point (!!) novel.

Hobbies:  Writing, reading, painting, renovating furniture and traveling.

She lives with her husband and two kids with paws.

Discussion

82 thoughts on “About Me

  1. blimey, you’ve written lots! I am jealous! I wonder if you have any advice on how to get a foot in the door of freelance writing? It seems tricky 😦

    Posted by Robotic Rhetoric | February 28, 2012, 11:38 pm
    • Hey there — work, work, work and work more. :). I’m much older than you so I’ve been doing this for awhile. Find a local paper and write some human interest stuff (for free – yes, I said free). It’s fun and you’ll get your name in print. How? Walk into a local newspaper/magazine — whatever interests you and ask to talk to the editor. Tell her/him you’ll offer your stellar, world-changing writing for free for a certain amount of time and write. Interview. Apply on all writing you can. Build up a portfolio online by writing a few articles for a content mill (try Suite101.com) — it’s a good one, looks professional and you’ll build up a presence online that way. With your humor, talent and writing skill, it shouldn’t take long. But, a word of advice — freelance is crazy busy one minute and drip, drip, drip the next. Not for sissies, if you know what I mean. Good luck — your blog is hilarious!

      Posted by Brigitte | February 28, 2012, 11:44 pm
  2. Love the pic! and I do LOVE your profile image…I did read about it on your blog…I would love to freelance a whole lot more… or pay the bills but its difficult writing books and freelancing..how do you organize your time…May Baxter and Sopie are very well behaved and walk themselves…Wonder could I try that with my lot!

    Posted by ailialana | March 17, 2012, 10:12 pm
    • Thanks! Freelancing comes in waves — either crazy busy or nothing! But I’ve done it for a several years now and can because of my husband who supports my writing, but more than anything wants me to finish my book!

      Posted by Brigitte | March 17, 2012, 10:52 pm
  3. Here’s looking at you kid. ;^)

    I’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award . . .

    http://swimminginthemud.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/versatile-blogger-award/

    Posted by finally_write | May 4, 2012, 3:58 pm
  4. I am SO happy I found this blog! And you!! I have loved writing since I figured out how to use a pen, and I have so many ideas swirling around in my head. I just can not seem to figure out how to get them on the screen or on paper. I will be following you. Your last post was awesome btw! Thanks for this!

    Posted by mommahasapottymouth | May 17, 2012, 5:23 pm
  5. I agree–writing is writing – and you seem to have found just the right niche – enjoy reading you.

    Posted by on thehomefrontandbeyond | May 17, 2012, 8:38 pm
    • Hi Lou Ann, fellow freelancer! You get where I’m coming from. It’s not glamourous and it’s great sometimes and not so much sometimes, but it IS writing. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy writing schedule to comment. It’s much appreciated!!! :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 8:56 pm
      • I think I have found a soul friend. I have found myself doing a lot of writing that is nowhere close to literary–or even creative–though I try to put that last element into everything I write–even if it is about sewers and drains when I don my municipal reporter hat.

        Posted by on thehomefrontandbeyond | May 18, 2012, 8:03 am
  6. That is wonderful. “After all writing is writing”- so true- I hope I would be able to become a professional writer one day.
    I loved your bio and I’m looking forward to exploring more of your blog. 🙂

    Posted by howanxious | May 18, 2012, 10:20 am
  7. Nice to see you, and what great advice you give, you have such a good way of sharing knowledge in an honest and clear way. No nonsense from you and that’s valuable. Good luck with your book I’m sure you’ll do great. 🙂

    Posted by Tinkerbell | May 18, 2012, 10:35 am
  8. I found your blog today and like what I see! How have you been successful in getting so many responses and followers in only a few short months? I’ve been blogging since August of last year and although I have 100 followers, only 2 or 3 comment some of the time. I have it set up to post to Twitter and Facebook too, so what are you doing to gain such a readership and awards too??

    Posted by dawnreneefreelancewriter | May 18, 2012, 1:27 pm
    • I don’t have a Facebook or Twitter account. Being freshly-pressed has helped tremendously! I bet that’s how you found me! I do try to find other like-minded bloggers, follow them and comment frequently. You never know when you make a comment on a blog you like, someone else that’s commenting also will find you. That’s how I’ve found several bloggers/friends/followers and they have found me. I’ve had to good fortune of some of those kind souls bestowing awards on me and then I pay it forward. Hope this helps, Dawn. As a freelancer writer, you know that sometimes the tide comes in and sometimes it’s out — know what I mean? Good luck to you and thanks so much for your nice comments. ;).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 1:42 pm
  9. I am blogging for the first time and I am hoping to earn some money from it. But I am just a newbie with a long way to go! Wow! You are a ghostwriter! That’s so cool! Reading your blog I realise that I have so much to learn!

    Posted by Silverfox | May 20, 2012, 7:11 pm
    • Welcome to the blogging world. I think you have to approach blogging as just something you love to do and share with others. I’ve ghostwritten for business and nonfiction type things — never fiction (I wish). I too have much to learn. That’s what it’s all about, right? C’est la Vie!! :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 21, 2012, 8:50 am
  10. Hey I’m soo loving your bog! You are so inspiring. I really love IT! Please keep up your amazing work!

    Posted by SmilingCat01 | May 21, 2012, 6:49 am
  11. Your blog is fantastic, and I shall stride to follow your “five rules” to support other bloggers.
    Thanks for the support you showed me so far as well. It’s much appreciated.

    Posted by Mesnard | May 28, 2012, 10:13 am
  12. Great to find your blog! I’m gladly following.. 🙂

    Subhan Zein

    Posted by Subhan Zein | May 28, 2012, 7:05 pm
  13. Great blog. I have a degree in English and a lot of unpublished work, but am wanting to break into the freelance world. Any books to suggest? Do you think tech writing courses or certificates would help?

    Posted by Recovered Baptist | June 9, 2012, 2:57 pm
    • Just get something — anything published and build your portfolio from there. It takes a lot of discipline, hard work and ability to take rejection. Thanks so much for your nice comment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | June 11, 2012, 10:23 am
  14. Dear Brigitte,
    I came to this page to ask you about music, and helping me…helllllllllllllllllllp!!! (I did the upgrade…still struggling)…but I loved your advice about freelance writing. I’m taking it. Thank you♥
    But..back to that music. ARGGGHhhhh!!! If songs didn’t go so well with everything I write..I’d say..PHOOEY!! but they do!
    I’ve gotten to the part of uploading a song. It says it’s 100% loaded…but then doesn’t give me any options, like in an image, you know? I would love some help. Thank you!!!
    Love, Lisa
    Your desperate blogging friend♥

    Posted by Carr Party of Five | July 5, 2012, 9:43 am
  15. Brigitte,
    Blogrolled. It was overdue.
    Le Clown

    Posted by clownonfire | July 31, 2012, 3:05 pm
  16. Hi Brigette! Szaboinslowmo at her blog http://shecantbeserious.com/ has nominated me for Illuminating blogger award, which she received from you. As part of “the rules” to accept, I’m to visit the original award blog so here I am. Thanks Szabo!!!! You’re the best!

    Posted by Tina | August 23, 2012, 2:01 pm
  17. I’m happy to be following your blog now – I see you commenting on a slew of other writers I love – i’m glad I checked you out! I’m from Long Island (and miss it daily) – my entire family is from Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island (as if it’s its own city/town) and Canada…I feel like we’re kindered spirits. I too believe that all events have something meaningful in which to write about.
    Ta!
    Rutabaga

    Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | September 13, 2012, 10:23 am
    • Hi Ruta, I’m glad you’re following me and I am you too! Small world, huh? Yes, we’ve been here for a little over three years and came from some of those wide open spaces and now you’re in one of those so I agree with you. It’s so nice meeting a kindred spirit and I agree with you — I so look forward to reading your posts and more about you.

      Posted by Brigitte | September 13, 2012, 12:08 pm
  18. From body building to book writing and blogs. Sounds like a fascinating human we have here.

    Posted by becca3416 | September 18, 2012, 1:52 pm
  19. How is it that I’m not following you?!? I fixed that tout suite! I love to restore furniture too.

    Posted by robincoyle | September 20, 2012, 11:48 am
  20. Hi Brigette, It’s nice to meet you. I admire you for all the writing you’ve done! I look forward to reading your blog.

    Posted by The Bumble Files | September 27, 2012, 8:47 pm
  21. Love the blog 🙂

    Posted by msuworld | September 28, 2012, 5:17 am
  22. I just wanted you to know that I nominated you for One Lovely Blog Award. Thanks for having a great blog! Have a wonderful weekend.

    Posted by exceedingspeed | September 29, 2012, 11:02 pm
  23. You have been tagged by me in this week’s Tag Blogathon.
    Visit my post for more details: http://ohmsweetohmdotme.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/the-tag-blogathon

    Posted by Allan G. Smorra | September 30, 2012, 4:30 pm
  24. how is it that I never read this page?

    Posted by unfetteredbs | October 13, 2012, 6:11 am
  25. Hi Brig. Just wanted to let you know that I’m thinking and praying for you. Hope you and yours are warm and dry and that life will resume some sort of normalcy soon. <3, Emily

    Posted by The Waiting | November 8, 2012, 9:22 am
  26. You have an intimidating résumé. I’d love to pick your brain on writing as a profession sometime.

    Posted by bharatwrites | January 15, 2013, 2:28 pm
    • Bharat, not so much but thank you for saying that. It has to do with some talent, luck and being in the right place at the right time. Freelancing can dry up quickly and it takes alot of time and patience to get yourself out there. There are so many talented writers out there — much more so than me, but I’ve had the good luck to get some sweet gigs from time to time. Now, if I can just write a best-seller, I can pick and choose. :). Seriously, you can pick my brain anytime and if I can answer any question for you, I’m happy to do so. Thank you!

      Posted by Brigitte | January 15, 2013, 5:39 pm
  27. Hi sweet lady. Beautiful bio. I hope to be a writer someday. (I shamefully think that being a writer means you have to get paid to write…)

    Posted by Sarah | April 2, 2013, 11:42 am
  28. Fantastic!
    Will love being here!

    And I am laughing as I had 50 journals which began at age 6 and several years ago threw them all out under the influence of my pragmatic husband ( who gave me the “these boxes are taking up space in our tiny basement” speech) and yoga teacher ( the “simplify your life by ridding yourself of the clutter” speech). At first it was cathartic getting rid of the written angst of my youth and young adulthood….now I could kick myself as I would have loved to read them and be reminded of how I have “evolved’ now that I am middle aged!

    Posted by brie | April 15, 2013, 10:49 am
    • Why thank you! I’ve thought about throwing mine away, but I’d probably want to burn them. What the heck do you do with them? Sometimes I’ll pull one out and read how “she” was thinking and that’s when I think, nah, I’m going to hold on to these…
      Thanks, Brigitte.

      Posted by Brigitte | April 15, 2013, 11:09 am
  29. Hey Brigitte, we’d LOVE to have you join us over at Support-a-Writer. It would be wonderful to have some of your insights and advice. We are a lovely, friendly group of writers, bloggers and poets – so some interesting talent going down! Please have a wee look and I hope you join us, https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/104309611203675402853?cfem=1
    Glad I discovered your blog! 🙂

    Posted by alanamunroauthor | May 5, 2013, 7:00 am
  30. Hope all is well, Brigitte. Looking forward to some more banter. 🙂

    Posted by Swimming In The Mud | June 6, 2013, 12:52 pm
  31. Ah ha! was it you that restored the ‘creaking antique chest’ Brigette??!

    Posted by wordswithnannaprawn | October 23, 2013, 6:06 pm
  32. Great blog. Would love to get advice on how to get people interested in my blog. I just recently started it and would love others input on what you think. You have a wonderful blog. Just want to bring positivity to others.

    https://livingkindlydotorg.wordpress.com/2015/10/09/welcome-to-living-kindly/

    Posted by Margarita Hansen | October 16, 2015, 5:04 pm
    • Hi Margarita and welcome! Thank you. I’m no expert but the more you comment on others’ blogs, the more you’ll get them to yours. That’s been my experience anyway. Thanks for your lovely, kind words.

      Posted by Brigitte | October 16, 2015, 6:38 pm
  33. Emily, you are wonderful. Thank you so much, my dear friend. Much love!!

    Posted by Brigitte | January 28, 2013, 10:08 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Pingback: A Word From the Author | A Clown On Fire - June 21, 2012

  2. Pingback: Canvas Print Giveaway Winner! | Go Jules Go - October 15, 2012

  3. Pingback: You’ve been sainted by Emily. Alternate title: Holier Than Thou | Brother Jon - January 28, 2013

  4. Pingback: A Wonderful Team And The WordPress Family | jmmcdowell - June 4, 2013

Leave a reply to Silverfox Cancel reply

Join 1,794 other subscribers

Archives

For Monday Musings

Copyright Notice

Copyright 2012-Infinity/All Rights Reserved forever and always, unless noted

Words of the Day

sheesh
/SHēSH/
exclamation

INFORMAL
exclamation: sheesh
  1. used to express disbelief or exasperation.
    “Sheesh! Why can’t you talk to me, you know, like normally?”
Origin
1950s: probably an alteration of jeez.