//
you're reading...
Literary Ramblings and Thoughts, News Worthy, Non-Fiction, Other Musings, Why Not?

A Gracious Guide to Benevolent Blogging — Five Tips

I’ve been in the blogging world for almost four months now, so I don’t claim to be an expert at this way we find ourselves communicating in the 21st century.  I do, however, consider myself a gracious and nice human being and try to extend courtesies when someone takes the time to acknowledge my work.

With that in mind, I’ve come up with a few tips that I believe all bloggers should keep in mind when they have something to say, whether that be from their own writing or when they comment on others.

1.  Find other blogs that you like and comment

I’ve found those blogs by exploring, sometimes through Freshly Pressed blogs, friends’ blogs or just by accident.  If I find one that I think is interesting, funny or inspiring, I make a comment.  I figure if they’ve taken the time to write something, I can do the same.  If someone decides to follow me, I follow them.  With the way in which we can control those alerts/comments, I don’t see a reason why one shouldn’t.

BTW, if you’ve got thousands of followers — congrats, I know it’s hard work — but some of your blog’s success stems from other bloggers paying homage to yours.  Please take the time to visit your supporters’ blogs every once in awhile to leave a comment, share the love please!

“Likes” are great, but if possible leave a comment and a “Like,” why not? Yes, I’m guilty of the same thing — just leaving a “Like” (I WELCOME all “Likes” and thank you so much to all who have taken the time to like my posts) but a comment, now that’s good stuff.

2.  Be nice/positive when leaving a comment

This should be a given and we do have the opportunity to ignore or disapprove comments, but they still hurt (negative comments) the one who receives them.  I’ve not received any mean-spirited comments; everyone in the blogging community has been wonderful, but I’ve visited other blogs where I’ve seen rather unkind comments.  Even if you critique someone’s work or disagree, start out with what you liked about a post and then cite what you may not agree with – in a constructive, kind manner.  Judith Martin (Miss Manners) says:  When virtues are pointed out first, flaws seem less insurmountable.

3.  Reply back to those who take the time to comment

Another thing that I think should be a given, but alas, it doesn’t always happen.  If someone comments on my blog, I reply back with a thank you and a few words of encouragement to them.  It’s just good manners.  From Emily Post:  Manner is personality—the outward manifestation of one’s innate character and attitude toward life.  You get back what you give.

P.S. (If I’ve inadvertently not done so to anyone who may be reading this, then my heartfelt apologies).

4.  Give credit if someone inspires a blog you write–help a blogger out

We get ideas from current trends and from reading fellow bloggers’ posts. Someone’s musings help us create our own — say thank you, it only takes a sentence or two.  If you find yourself writing a blog that was prompted by reading someone else’s, then mention who inspired you with a link back to their blog.  From Anne Lamott:  Here are the two best prayers I know:  Help, help me, help and Thank you, thank you, thank you.

BTW, read the excerpt from blogger Rachel Bertsche and best-selling author of MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend who was the inspiration for my post.  She gleaned inspiration from another blogger to share her tips.

5.  Share your wisdom

There are so many talented people out there!  Great writers, poets, photographers, musicians, satirists, comedians, spiritual souls and hobbyists who share their time and talents.  A couple of bloggers have asked me for advice and I replied back to them — quickly.  I was flattered that they valued my opinion and hopefully, I helped them in some small way.  Share what you know; you never know when you may need a little help to inspire you.

That’s my five tips for courteous blogging.  Do you have any to share?

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.  — Erin Majors

About Brigitte

Writer/Editor/Wanderer

Discussion

843 thoughts on “A Gracious Guide to Benevolent Blogging — Five Tips

  1. I agree – the blogging community seems lovely. Really enjoying the connections I’m making – it is not hard for me to feel and express the gratitude for the comments made. 🙂 Thank YOU for yours. x

    Posted by rococonnor | April 6, 2012, 7:01 pm
  2. Nice post, Brigitte. I would also add that if you actually read through to the end of someone’s post, you should automatically hit the ‘Like’ button. Whether you truly like what you’ve read is irrelevant. The fact that a writer commanded your interest enough to get you to read to the end is a skill and an accomplishment worth acknowledging.

    Also, I’ve read comments on my own posts where someone might say, “I’ve liked reading your posts,” which surprised me as they never commented or clicked on a ‘Like’ button even once. Nothing stings more than knowing you’ve had 70 hits on a post and seeing hardly any ‘likes’ or ‘comments’. Was it really that awful that nobody made it to the end of my post?

    That is all… for now ;^)

    Posted by finally_write | April 6, 2012, 7:45 pm
    • Thanks, Sue — glad you enjoyed it. Great point about the “like” button; I never thought of it that way but I understand what you’re saying. Thanks for sharing a different viewpoint! As far as hits, I think it may be someone sees your comment on another post and they may click over and just don’t devote the time to read. I don’t think it has anything to do with your post or your writing, both of which are great! Thank you again for taking the time to comment AND to “like.” Have a wonderful weekend! :).

      Posted by Brigitte | April 6, 2012, 9:48 pm
    • That’s a good call!

      Posted by Maggie O'C | May 17, 2012, 4:32 pm
    • Great advice on when to like. I obviously read all the way this post to find the comments. Should there be a “like” button at the bottom of a post for that very principle?

      Posted by Mesnard | May 18, 2012, 1:20 am
    • Loved the post and reblogged you. I want to follow your blog but there’s no email option? I don’t use feeds as I prefer to read blogs at gmail. I’ll stop in from time to time in that case. Have a nice day and congratulations on being Freshly Pressed!

      Posted by mye1212 | May 18, 2012, 11:41 am
      • Hi and thanks so much for the reblog. You hit the little plus sign by “Follow” near the top left corner if you’d like to follow and thanks again for you nice comment!

        Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 11:44 am
      • Thanks Brigette, I’m a newbie, as you can probably tell.

        Posted by mye1212 | May 18, 2012, 11:46 am
    • Hmmm… good point! I’ve wondered, too, if most of the few people who are “following” liked the post or even finished it.

      Posted by seapunk2 | May 18, 2012, 6:39 pm
    • I’ve never thought of it like this – I don’t think I’ve ever “liked” a post. Perhaps it’s because of my aversion to liking things on facebook (because they start spamming me with posts). I’ll bear it in mind in future!

      Posted by May | May 19, 2012, 2:54 pm
      • Hi May, I don’t have Facebook or Twitter so not sure of those “rules.” Not sure if that invites spam on or not…so far, so good, plus WordPress does an excellent job of weeding out the spam. Anyway, thanks so much for stopping by to comment and hope you’ll come back and visit. Be well and happy blogging! ;).

        Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 4:47 pm
      • 🙂 It seems you might have been in good company with your aversion!

        Posted by finally_write | May 20, 2012, 3:52 pm
    • Good point, and one that is commonly overlooked. 🙂

      Posted by realcarpentier | May 21, 2012, 9:58 am
  3. Great post….think there are a lot of people out there who could benefit from being reminded of those points 😉

    One thing I would say though is, I’m not sure I could follow everyone who follows me. At the moment I’m keeping on top of it, but, some blogs I follow have 400+ followers…..I’m not sure I would be able to keep up with that many. It’s a lovely idea….but, I have to sleep lol 😉

    I totally agree with you about commenting though. If someone has taken the time to comment on one of my posts I ALWAYS reply back 🙂

    Xx

    Posted by Vikki (The View Outside) | April 7, 2012, 6:42 am
    • Hi Vicki, Thank you! I am fairly new at this blogging thing and understand what you mean about following — it’s nice to get other viewpoints — thank you. I can certainly understand what you’re saying. It’s amazing how it begins to branch out. Thanks for your insight and comments. Much appreciated!

      Posted by Brigitte | April 7, 2012, 11:57 am
  4. Now I am starting to wonder if you really mean any of your comments or are you just being nice?? *raised eyebrow* LOL.. speaking of compliments though I really like your blog and hope I will one day be able to write almost like you..xx

    Posted by luckyluwi | April 11, 2012, 4:04 pm
    • Goodness, where would you get that impression? Of course I mean it when I make nice comments on your blog! Glad you liked the post and rest assured I mean what I say. :). Thank you for your nice comment!

      Posted by Brigitte | April 11, 2012, 4:37 pm
  5. It is amazing that in the short time that I have been blogging, I’ve met a lot of lovely people here like you. I’ve learned a lot too. Your writing style for one, is something that I really admire and is very inspiring. 😉

    Posted by Malou | April 16, 2012, 9:22 pm
    • Malou — Thank you so much for your kind words! I too am new to blogging and like you, am grateful to all the kind souls who happen by and are kind enough to leave words of encouragement or to say they’ve enjoyed something I’ve written. Thank you so much and your pictures are always breathtaking.

      Posted by Brigitte | April 17, 2012, 2:06 am
  6. I love love LOVE that you’re sharing your wisdom after four months — you really do learn a lot (mostly through trial and error) in those beginning days, don’t you?

    Of course, I have some feedback to offer to point #3. I’m at a bit of an impasse. I have the world’s BEST readers/commenters (my latest post has something like 120 comments), but I’m finding myself unable to write posts if I respond to every comment. But up to this point, I’ve ALWAYS done it … so now my readers expect it. And I personally miss the dialogue, so I’m resenting myself for not responding. UGH!!!

    As you can see, it becomes something of a Catch-22. Once your readership increases, so do the comments. Once the comments increase, so does your commitment to respond. Once your commitment to respond increases, so DOESN’T your time to do other things (like write the paid articles I’m working on, or future blog posts).

    Anyhow, again, great insight here. Just thought I’d share the corollary to one of your points. I’m SO grateful for all of my wonderful readers, but I’m perplexed as to how to move forward without alienating those who’ve come to expect responses — or myself, who loves to do it!

    Any ideas?

    🙂

    Posted by Mikalee Byerman | May 17, 2012, 1:57 pm
    • You have an excellent point here and I don’t have the problem you have (obviously) as I’m fairly new to this. But I appreciate your comment. Someone reblogged this post and I’m getting all sorts of responses which is a wonderful thing, but I’m hearing what you’re saying now. Thank YOU for your insight and thanks for stopping in. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 2:03 pm
      • This whole conversation is wonderful. As a new blogger, and on my own little island, I really appreciate this post, AND the comments. I’m the only person in my circle of friends writing a blog.
        And I have harshly judged those that do not reply to my comments. (How rude!)
        but of course, that’s because I never stopped to consider how long it probably takes to write 120 responses!
        I will take off my judgement cap. Keep doin my thing. And print off all of your wonderful pieces of advice.
        Thank you!
        Lisa

        Posted by Carr Party of Five | May 18, 2012, 2:21 pm
      • Isn’t it??!! So glad you get it and appreciate it, Lisa. You are so nice and I appreciate it much, much, much!!!

        Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 2:23 pm
    • Mikalee, I answered you before I realized I was Freshly Pressed. I understand now, but it is thrilling, nonetheless! So perhaps I’ll have to rely on your wisdom. Amazing this thing, huh? :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 5:09 pm
  7. You know? I’ve oftened wonder why no one ever comments on my blog and I guess it’s because I don’t comment on theirs. Thanks for opening my eyes a bit.

    Posted by J. Curtis Rice | May 17, 2012, 1:58 pm
  8. wow, great tips thanks everyone! I just started my blog yesterday and I am so lost 😦

    Posted by kirstin2012 | May 17, 2012, 1:59 pm
  9. Good thoughts. I’m just starting out in the blogging world and have been looking around for good blogger etiquette. Thanks 🙂

    Posted by shinobiswordsman | May 17, 2012, 2:03 pm
  10. Great post! I’m happy to say I do most of these and I love making new friends through blogging!

    Posted by kerrycooks | May 17, 2012, 2:03 pm
  11. You are absolutely right. What I love about blogging is the community involved. It’s kind of funny because the computer and other digital devices have a reputation for being very alienating in terms of communication. This is true, but it also opens up a whole new avenue for building community with people around the world (or in our own backyards) who we may have never met otherwise. The best way to build community is to communicate and commenting, following, “liking”, or mentioning other blogs are all great ways to do this! Thanks for you post and your tips. I wish EVERYONE would read them so we could build an awesome community in this blogosphere of ours! Blessings!

    Posted by amberwideman | May 17, 2012, 2:11 pm
    • You are so right. I’ve made several “friends” through blogging and it’s much like life; treat others the way you want to be treated and it’ll all work out. Thanks so much for your comment and stopping by. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 2:15 pm
  12. Great tips! You seem to have a good handle on the blogging biz!

    Posted by The Hook | May 17, 2012, 2:14 pm
  13. I “liked” and now im commenting! 🙂
    You bring up some great points. I’m just starting with this blog thing… at times i comment on what i like but sometimes get no reply. It makes me feel like my comment was either unappreciated or not worthy of the blogger’s time. I may be wrong, but it feels so. I’ve never been a fan of spending much time reading ppl’s blogs, but ever since i joined wordpress, im so intrigued by all these wonderful blogs that offer a glimpse into a world i have yet to travel. great post!

    Posted by amoonfull | May 17, 2012, 2:15 pm
  14. Thank you for share. It has been very helpful.

    Posted by elbablogs | May 17, 2012, 2:15 pm
  15. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post! I’m new to the blogging world as well and I noticed that when i’m more active in taking time to appreciate the other blogs out there, it reflects on my stats as well 😀 Happy blogging indeed!

    Posted by crayonsandmilk | May 17, 2012, 2:17 pm
  16. Bingo, and thank-you, thank-you! I think many of us blog for community more than anything, so long, widespread protracted silence from readers can be disheartening. I’m new to your blog (found it on Freshly Pressed), and new to blogging, but I think I’m going to enjoy what you have to say. 🙂

    Posted by Connie Howard | May 17, 2012, 2:17 pm
  17. These are fabulous tips..esp numbers one thru three 🙂 I love reading comments and interacting with WP peeps worldwide, and also sharing positive feedback on something that really makes me smile, gives a laugh, or evokes a deep thought etc..Great job!! Thanks for posting this..I’m so tempted to reblog!

    Posted by iamlenise | May 17, 2012, 2:19 pm
  18. I agree with this etiquette completely. This actually is a great outline to benevolent blogging (nice wording, by the way).

    Funny thing, I was hoping to find the MWF Seeking BFF blog, and I couldn’t remember the name of her blog or her book (ironically!) and here you helped me by showing where some of your inspiration came from. Thanks.

    Speaking of comments and ‘likes’… there was a freshly pressed blog a few days ago I think about how not to focus so much on ‘likes.’ Maybe I’m an old school blogger or something, but not until I read that post, I almost had no value placed on ‘likes’ as much as actual comments from readers. ‘Likes’ meant nothing to me especially because I had no idea what they were. Appreciation of others reading my work translated best to me through comments, which I consider to be a real form of “feedback.” When I say I’m a bit old school, what I also mean is that I might end up commenting on several posts of a blog I like as a form of feedback, but then I kind of feel like a stalker.

    Of course, now that I know what ‘likes’ are, I appreciate them more and I think it allows those who are too shy (lazy, or distracted) to comment a chance to show their appreciation in the smallest way. It reminds us that the stats aren’t just random numbers on a chart and that there are real people reading my writing.

    Also, they give me a way to show appreciation to others work without feeling like a stalker.

    Posted by Tinkerbell | May 17, 2012, 2:27 pm
    • Thank you! Isn’t it funny the way we stumble across something? I’m the same way and visit blogs I love and comment frequently. I don’t think it’s necessarily a “bad” thing to just like a post. Sometimes one doesn’t have the time to leave a comment, but a like at least shows you appreciate the blogger and thank YOU so much for bringing up that point. I did feel the same way, but those likes add up and bring one a nice warm and fuzzy as well. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 2:36 pm
      • Sometimes I use “like” as “fave.” I wish there was also a “fave” button for those posts you not only like, but want to read over and over again, but “like” will do for that. I am also guilty of using the “like” as a bookmark too. “like” can mean so many things, and not just “I can’t comment right now.” I grew to love the “likes” pretty quickly!

        Yes, giving a ‘like’ is kind. And I have to say, I not only enjoy writing, but I also love reading the many wonderful blogs with great content that I find here on wordpress, just like your lovely blog here. I feel blessed for them, and they deserve to know they are appreciated.

        Posted by Tinkerbell | May 18, 2012, 10:24 am
      • Thank you, Tinkerbell.:). What a nice, thing to say — it’s much appreciated!!

        Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 10:45 am
    • Tinker bell,

      Though, I seldom”like”, an offering, …I do feel that, both “like” ing, and making a timely comment, are
      Ofttimes, well worn the author,

      TIME

      Lu Kathy

      Posted by lilkathy | May 18, 2012, 9:09 am
  19. Reblogged this on Sorting it Out and commented:
    I thought this was really, really good, and I liked the Erin Majors quote (A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.) What do you all think? Why are we sometimes so reserved and prone to conserving and hiding, a little resistant to emotional generosity and unreserved engagement?

    Posted by Connie Howard | May 17, 2012, 2:27 pm
  20. I am pretty new to the blogging world. Thanks for the post, it was well written and very informative to me. It’s nice to get a heads up on etiquette!

    Posted by Jennirific | May 17, 2012, 2:31 pm
  21. Nicely said! Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed!

    Posted by The Retiring Sort | May 17, 2012, 2:32 pm
  22. This is insightful! I’ve been blogging for about two years and although I’ve gotten comments, I have a small readership, and most of the people who read my creative writing don’t have a blog themselves. I think this can color the amount of comments one gets. I just wish I’d get more of them because I want to know if my writing reaches people on a personal level. Then again my husband and my mom are two of my subscribers to my blog;)

    Posted by jenniesisler | May 17, 2012, 2:33 pm
  23. This is lovely. I’m very guilty of reading a post, marking it with a star on my Google Reader, and then moving on. I rarely take the time to go to the site and comment… that may start to change 🙂

    My $0.02 on the likes… sometimes, I don’t know what to say, but want to acknowledge to the writer that I was here and totally dig what they’re saying… but have no real words, except to say “I like this.” 🙂

    Thank you for this great post!

    Posted by Stephanie at Visible and Real | May 17, 2012, 2:37 pm
    • Thanks, Stephanie. I TRY to always comment, but sometimes a like is a nice way to appreciate a blogger as well. As you know, heart and soul goes into these posts and it’s so great for others to acknowledge that. And you are most welcome. Happy blogging!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 2:58 pm
  24. I’ve been writing for several years but started with yahoo small business server and chose the blogging options to keep up to date writing. So it didn’t allow me to really be apart of the wordpress community. When I lost all my writing due to a credit card change I finally made the change to depend on the wordpress free services. I started writing for friends and family but never knew what I was missing by immersing myself in the blogging community. I’m learning so much reading other blogs and it’s very inspiring. So I actually started some of the tips you’ve offered on my own and was surprised to have other bloggers start following me. I’m now not just limiting myself to my friends and family but to a whole new world!

    Posted by Maribel | May 17, 2012, 2:38 pm
    • That’s great, Maribel! Glad you found the tips useful and the very best to you. In my experience, the blogging community has been wonderful — nice people such as yourself take the time to comment. Thank you!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 2:45 pm
  25. Great tips… I would add that you should always enjoy blogging…when it starts to feel like a job and not a hobby or an interest take a step back and remember why you started in the first place!

    I will also say that depending on how you read blogs like through RSS it is hard to like everything you read but it really is the best way to be in the community!

    Posted by green4u | May 17, 2012, 2:39 pm
    • Most definitely, enjoying a thing is part of it. It is hard to “like” everything, but there’s so many great blogs out there to choose from and the blogging community (in my experience) has been wonderful. Thank you!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 3:12 pm
  26. Those are definitely some great tips for building an audience and spreading the blogger love!

    Posted by Heather | May 17, 2012, 2:40 pm
  27. I loved the post. It sure is going to be a guideline for many like me 🙂

    Posted by shimmeshine | May 17, 2012, 2:42 pm
  28. Hear, hear! (Or Type, type in our case?)
    Well said!
    I am amazed after only 6 weeks at this online community that has “helped a blogger out”! (Chortle – if you ever make that into a t-shirt I have first dibs!) Keep writing. ~Regards, Dan

    PS – If I were to add (which clearly I am by commenting) I’d say:
    6. Personalize it! Put your name on the end like it’s snail mail or a memo. Let ’em know you endorse their site. It’s a little extra connection. [If you’re on about anonymity then I guess this step is out…]

    Posted by dpbowman | May 17, 2012, 2:42 pm
  29. Hello Brigitte. I have taken your advice. I ‘liked’ this post (because I genuinely like this post!) and instead of moving on as I normally would, I’m taking the time to write to you. I’be been bloggin 3 months less than you so advice like this is just what I need. Unlike some other blogging tips, these are tips a novice like me can actually follow and benifit from (hopefully ;-))

    Posted by hannah meiklejohn | May 17, 2012, 2:44 pm
  30. LOVE IT!!! Many congrats on being Freshly Pressed!!!

    Posted by Madame Weebles | May 17, 2012, 2:47 pm
  31. I seldom visit the FP page, but today…. today, I’m certainly glad I did. This read was a pleasure, and a helpful, friendly reminder to us all. It seems there was always etiquette with the spoken word and certainly it was there, too, with the written word. But God Almighty… was etiquette ever lost with the onset of the typed word! I’m currently reading “The Writers Art”, by James Kilpatrick, thus these principles of polite written/typed correspondence are a present interest of mine. Thanks for your thoughts. And I’ll even dare to flatter you a bit (sounding much like my grandmother patting Ireland’s greatest renowned cellist on the head and saying, “Good job tonight! Why, I don’t care what anybody says of you, I think you play very well.”), you really are a fine writer. But, beyond that, I tremendously enjoyed this work. And wouldn’t you agree that those are two quite separate compliments? 🙂

    Posted by dinkerson | May 17, 2012, 2:52 pm
    • Well, aren’t I the lucky one for your stopping by FP? I know exactly what you mean; words don’t translate sometimes because we don’t hear inflection or see expressions — that’s why those little emoticons are everywhere! Still, I think words have weight and most of us can figure out the humorous from the mean-spirited. I’ll take that pat on the head BTW and I do play well. :). You flatter me and I’m so glad you enjoyed my post. I’ll take all the nice compliments anyone cares to toss my way. As a writer, the “You are a fine writer” are sweet, sweet sustenance for my soul — thank you. Much luck to you and happy blogging!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 3:06 pm
  32. Hello! I’m new to blogging and this has given me an insight into it! Thank you 🙂

    Posted by Sabina Akram | May 17, 2012, 2:59 pm
  33. im just getting started in the blogging world.. and really enjoyed reading this post.. thanks ! I will certainly try to follow your advice 🙂

    Posted by incontrolatforty | May 17, 2012, 3:02 pm
  34. I have decided not to comment but merely “like” this post.

    Posted by versipellusfenris | May 17, 2012, 3:03 pm
  35. What a beautiful blog. Thanks so much for sharing your benevolent outlook – I hope it’s contagious! I’m looking forward to following your blog, as well – maybe it will inspire me to keep up with mine! Congrats on the recognition!

    Posted by mizpurplest | May 17, 2012, 3:04 pm
  36. Thank you so much for the advice and congrats on being Freshly Pressed! I agree with everything you have said, as a new blogger of about two months, it’s definitely hard to get your foot in the door, but I’ve been doing my best to read and comment on other blogs for inspiration. There is one blog I especially love and follow, A Beautiful Mess, in which she wrote a couple advice posts for blogging:

    http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/07/tips-for-bloggers-.html
    http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/05/how-to-start-your-blog-with-a-bang.html

    Anyways, best of luck with your future blogging adventure!
    http://booknerdpower.wordpress.com/

    Posted by Shay. R. | May 17, 2012, 3:04 pm
    • You are most welcome. It most definitely takes dedication and finding your “voice.” I think if you be yourself, you attract like-minded bloggers. Thank you for giving me a new blog to view. Love the name! I will check it out and the best of luck to you as well!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 3:20 pm
  37. I also enjoy Rachel from “MWF” and follow her blog. Thanks for these reminders and congrats on the Freshly Pressed! Well done!

    Posted by rachelocal | May 17, 2012, 3:08 pm
  38. As someone who is still finding her way around the blogging community, these are very helpful tips. Thank you so much for sharing!

    “Like AND make a comment”… You’re right, it doesn’t take but a few seconds to show someone else you appreciate their writing.

    Enjoy the rest of your week!

    Posted by Mama Bear Matters | May 17, 2012, 3:37 pm
    • Thank you, so glad you found them helpful. It’s difficult sometimes, but even a Thank you is a good thing. Have a great week as well and so appreciate your like and your comment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 3:38 pm
  39. Reblogged this on ThenBrown.

    Posted by thenbrown | May 17, 2012, 3:40 pm
  40. Great post and great advice! Congrats on being Freshly Pressed.

    Posted by Paprika Furstenburg | May 17, 2012, 3:43 pm
  41. It’s nice to read such a positive post, I agree that we definitely need to share the love! I’ve only been on wordpress for a couple of weeks so it’s great to read advice like this that reminds you what blogging is all about 🙂 my own life is rather mediocre at the moment, so reading and commenting on other peoples (usually more exciting) lives is where a lot of the fun is for me!

    Posted by tweedlealice | May 17, 2012, 3:44 pm
    • Not sure about the “more exciting life” part 🙂 but you are so nice to take the time to comment and like. I hope you found it helpful and you’ll find there are many benevolent bloggers out there. Good luck!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 3:47 pm
  42. Of course I feel compelled to comment on this! Thank you for such a straightforward and positive message to the blogging community! I especially enjoyed the ending.

    Be well!

    Posted by Kayla Mae | May 17, 2012, 3:45 pm
    • Hi Kayla, thank you so much. I’m astounded by all the wonderful bloggers/readers out there who share my sentiments. Glad you enjoyed the post and hope it will be helpful to you. Be well!!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 3:49 pm
  43. Hi Brigitte, great post! I’m new to blogging as well….congrats on being Freshly Pressed! best of luck to you!

    Posted by free.to.be.nina.g | May 17, 2012, 3:55 pm
  44. Excellent advice. Polite manners invite relationships.

    Posted by Michael J. Melville | May 17, 2012, 3:56 pm
  45. Wonderful bits of advice. I admit I’m more likely to comment on blogs that reply to my comments. Great post!

    Posted by J. G. Burdette | May 17, 2012, 4:07 pm
  46. Thanks … as a fairly new blogger it’s advice I needed.

    Posted by thejottersjoint | May 17, 2012, 4:09 pm
    • Great. I’m kind of a newbie — been at this for about three and a half months now, but am grateful for all those like-minded, kind souls out there. So appreciate your taking the time to comment. Best of luck to you and your blog!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 4:11 pm
  47. Excellent post and very practical advice!! You are right re the great community of bloggers out there- everyone can find something which appeals to him/her. I enjoy blogging and agree fully re the LIKES!!
    Congrats for being freshly pressed too!

    Posted by adiaryofanewife | May 17, 2012, 4:11 pm
    • Thank you! So glad you found the post interesting and that you took the time to comment. I plan to visit so many of these blogs; obviously there are so many kind and very talented people “out there.” :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 4:37 pm
  48. Great tips, and I definitely couldn’t agree more with everything you said. Soon it will make one year that I’ve been blogging (I can hardly believe that!), and it’s been an incredible experience as the blogging community really is wonderful. It’s a great way to meet amazing people and everyone is always so encouraging and supportive. Thanks for the great advice and congrats on being freshly pressed! 🙂

    Posted by Dounia | May 17, 2012, 4:13 pm
    • Glad you found the tips helpful and that you agree. Blogging is not only a way to communicate with great people, it’s a wonderful way of expressing ideas and finding your muse. I am humbled by this and again, thank you!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 4:39 pm
  49. Great post, and congrats on being FP’d after just four months! The blogging community has been so nurturing and positive and you are so right about spreading the love! I feel safe here.

    Posted by The Sandwich Lady | May 17, 2012, 4:15 pm
    • I was hesitant at first myself but I’ve found that most people are very kind and supportive. It’s really amazing and I’m like you, I feel “safe” as well. So appreciate your taking the time to comment.

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 4:40 pm
  50. Absolutely right Brigitte, I think you’ve just expressed, rather beautifully and succinctly, what a lot of us private feel, (or quietly hope for!) Very nice post. Keep up the great work. – Arran.

    Posted by arranqhenderson | May 17, 2012, 4:17 pm
  51. Thanks for such a good read and for your tips. Your passion for blogging shines through as well as your innate respect for human feelings. Best wishes and happy blogging from Ireland.

    Posted by socialbridge | May 17, 2012, 4:24 pm
    • I’ve have a few friends and followers from Ireland and it’s so great we have this incredible vehicle in which to communicate, isn’t it? So nice — your comments and thank you for that. Hope you’ll visit again soon. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 4:42 pm
      • Back already! It is quite amazing that we can cross the ocean in split seconds. I’m just wondering now what the vehicle looks like. How about we all try writing blogs describing it and sharing them???

        Posted by socialbridge | May 17, 2012, 5:15 pm
  52. Thank you for the much needed advice. Like many others, I started in the past few months. The main difference, is that I’m not posting interesting stories, anecdotes or great photos, but guitar licks, poorly done as I use them for therapy following a couple of strokes. I am literally relearning how to play guitar, and it shows.

    Congrats on your freshly pressed.

    Posted by Richard McCargar | May 17, 2012, 4:25 pm
    • You’d be surprised at the many things people find interesting. What is “mundane” to you may seem encouraging to others and “just what they need when they need it the most” advice. Keep those guitar licks up — you’ll be amazed at the like-minded people that find you. Be well and great, good luck to you. Thank you so much for the nice comment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 4:44 pm
  53. If you get bogged down from trying to manage all those people you follow and are being notified of every new post or comment, you can turn that off. Then, go to your blogs you follow or read page and… finally my point… you should visit those people on occassion and view, like and comment on those you follow. Although it looks good for them that you are a follower, what good does it do to follow and never read and comment? Just sayin!

    Posted by trail-hike-life | May 17, 2012, 4:32 pm
    • I understand what you are saying. It is difficult to manage, but I do try to reply to each and every person that takes time out of their day to make a comment. I plan to visit plenty of blogs in the next few days…Thank you for taking the time to comment and be well!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 4:47 pm
  54. Great message you sent out in your post. And I totally agree. I know everyone is busy with so much on their to-do list, but if you put it in your mind that you are going to devote one or two days a weeks for an hour, 30 minutes, etc., to just sit down and reply to people’s comment and comment on some new posts it’s just good karma (and like you said good manners) Also you can leave a gentle reminder on your blog letting readers know to press the like button or leave a comment if they really enjoyed your post. It just shows appreciation.
    Cheers!
    Nareen

    Posted by Nareen Luz Rivas | May 17, 2012, 4:32 pm
  55. I am duly impressed on your knowledge of the inactions between WordPress members on their individual blogs. All in four month of blogging yet with WordPress! Thank you for summing up great steps to a great blogging experience.

    Posted by John J. Rigo, Texas' Poet | May 17, 2012, 4:37 pm
  56. Great post! I totally agree with… most of what you said. 🙂
    I don’t follow very many blogs and I only follow those that I really want to read. That being the case, I definitely don’t follow someone just because they follow me.
    Other than that, I agree with you. Wouldn’t hurt if all bloggers would read this.

    Posted by Aerykah | May 17, 2012, 4:38 pm
  57. Very good advice. I use all of the tips you mentioned, and I find it makes blogging much more enjoyable.

    Congratulations on Freshly Pressed, BTW!

    Posted by What I Desired To Say | May 17, 2012, 4:40 pm
  58. Good advice, although now you’re going to have to reply back to like 300 comments after being Freshly Pressed!

    Posted by Rae | May 17, 2012, 4:45 pm
  59. Awesome. Very nicely said.

    Posted by nirupamaprv | May 17, 2012, 4:56 pm
  60. This is such a great post and something that I wished I would have read before I started a blog. Really good tips that hopefully I have been utilizing but when I look back at when I started my blog, I had no idea that comments and responses were the currency of this community and I could have done a much better job. Glad I found you on Maggie’s blog today and you will be one of my regular stops now for sure. Really good stuff. Doesn’t it catch you off guard to get freshly pressed for something you wrote a while ago? Big Congratulations, looks like WP is making you put your money where you mouth is. Good luck responding to all of the comments.

    Posted by Simon | May 17, 2012, 5:18 pm
    • Simon, thank you. I found you on Maggie’s blog as well. I was typing a response and hit something and it was so wonderful, so I’m writing it again. Sigh. I visited your blog briefly and loved your Mother’s Day post and the beautiful pics on your blog. I was at my computer today and kept getting comments and thought it was from someone reblogging my post and then found out I’d been freshly pressed. I understand that’s happened to you more than once. I wrote this blog weeks ago, so yes, it did take me by surprise. But, I love all the other creative, positive and humorous people out there that seem to be in tune with who I am. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment. It is overwhelming, but fun and a huge boost to the ego — especially for me, as I consider myself a “writer” of sorts. Writers are very sensitive, insecure and need affirmation every once in awhile, so thank you. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 5:36 pm
      • I didn’t know Maggie was going to out me like that but all in good fun. You are a really good writer and I have enjoyed finding you.

        Posted by Simon | May 17, 2012, 5:49 pm
  61. Well stated! You’re certainly deserving on being Freshly Pressed (congrats!) for these are some outstanding guidelines that I think all bloggers should subscribe to. Great job!

    Posted by One Baroque Girl | May 17, 2012, 5:21 pm
  62. You’ve made some great points…thank you!
    xx ~ http://www.tresorsdeluxe.wordpress.com!

    Posted by Trèsors De Luxe | May 17, 2012, 5:22 pm
  63. I loved reading this post.. especially the last quote by Erin Majors! 🙂

    Posted by Dafodil | May 17, 2012, 5:35 pm
  64. Loving your post – Congrats on being FP!

    Posted by cravesadventure | May 17, 2012, 5:36 pm
  65. What a wonderful and beautiful post. I have a confession to make: I’ve only been writing blogs for a few weeks, only 20 posts so far, and I enjoy it, but yours is the first blog I’ve ever read. I just have never done so. I like your advice, and I do have a few followers, I should check there posts out, and I will…it seems my little need to isolate in the real world has followed me into cyberspace.

    You write very well, and I will be reading more of your posts in the coming days…thanks for writing this, I needed to hear it! 🙂

    Posted by iamzion | May 17, 2012, 5:37 pm
    • I know exactly what you mean and where you are. Soooo glad I helped you in some small way and your taking the time to tell me that means so very much. I hope you will read more and keep blogging, reading and creating — your followers will come. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 5:42 pm
  66. This was a really nice read, I really enjoyed it, thank you 🙂 x

    Posted by KT en | May 17, 2012, 5:42 pm
  67. I’m really new to WordPress, having come over from LiveJournal, and I think the atmosphere is very different here- mostly because of the different features, I think.
    I defintely think this is good advice, because I know I at least am guilty of ‘liking’ a post quickly and then moving on. I think I need to take the time to think about what I’ve read and give a bit back. 🙂 I’ve noticed a lot of people don’t take the time to comment – I guess it’s a common failing.

    Posted by betheratgirl | May 17, 2012, 5:42 pm
    • It is, (the like thing) but I don’t think people mean it as simply a lazy way of doing things. Some people may not know how to express what they feel/think, but likes are a good thing as well. This (wordpress) was my first experience with blogging and I’m astounded that I’ve been freshly-pressed, but grateful for all the readers that took the time to not only like but comment. You are one of those people, so thank you so much. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 5:47 pm
      • : -) It’s always a good thing to read things that make you think.

        Posted by betheratgirl | May 17, 2012, 5:55 pm
  68. What a great post, thank you for those tips! 🙂

    Posted by vezinak | May 17, 2012, 5:52 pm
  69. Thanks for your thoughtful and thought-provoking post. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

    Posted by williamw60640 | May 17, 2012, 6:01 pm
  70. Wow! What a wonderful article! This is wonderful adivce, I hope everyone on wordpress follows your tips! Id love to hear your opinion on my site as well. http://annlivingston.wordpress.com/

    Posted by annlivingston | May 17, 2012, 6:14 pm
  71. I found you ‘freshly pressed’ and am now imagining you wafting a heavenly scent of laundry powder and warm linen in my direction! 🙂 Thank you so, so much for the helpful advice on your blog; I’ll be following you from now on and will endeavour to be inspired and not just one of those girls who sits next to you in class just so she can look over your shoulder and copy your work!! Very best wishes and have a lovely day, from Nanna Prawn in Aus-tray-lee-ahhhhh x

    Posted by wordswithnannaprawn | May 17, 2012, 6:25 pm
    • Thank you and glad you found the post helpful! I’m so glad you’ll be following and look forward to hearing more about where you are! You have a lovely day as well and thanks so much for the kind comments.

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 6:47 pm
  72. Great tips that could be applied if slightly to the real world too. Simple…just be kind

    Posted by triptracker | May 17, 2012, 6:26 pm
    • Thank you! Seems as if you’re exploring and taking many trips and I wish you well on all those journeys. My religion is kindness…so said the Dalai Lama. Good luck to you on your travels. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 6:51 pm
  73. I think what you wrote is insightful, and I am always looking for inspiration to make my blogging which is an extension of my being more constructive. Thanks for crafting this blog the way you did, it was meaningful but also easily drew me in! Nice work!

    Posted by tangentialromantic | May 17, 2012, 6:43 pm
    • Thank you and thanks so much for your service. I see that you’re in the Army, a woman and WOW, that is truly an amazing accomplishment. Thank YOU for taking the time to read and comment on my blog/post. I honor you. You are a hero and keep blogging and let those of us who don’t know about your world catch a glimpse of that. You are an inspiration!!!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 6:56 pm
  74. Hi, I’m relatively new to blogging and have been unsure of the etiquette. Almost everything you’ve said here is what I try to do anyway, but it’s nice to know my instincts were good ones! I’m still quite pleased when I just get a ‘like’ though.

    Posted by darkandbrightart | May 17, 2012, 6:57 pm
    • Hi there, explored your site briefly and must say you are an artist so thank you for your nice comments. Best of luck to you and thanks so much for taking the time the comment on my little blog. I’m like you, it thrills me to get a like as well. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 7:02 pm
  75. You can see from the amount of comments that this topic is long overdue. We all need social niceties and encouragement and your post has said it so well and looks so good! The point about acknowledging he inspiration of others is very important. I am reblogging this.

    Posted by sally07 | May 17, 2012, 7:03 pm
    • Oh Sally, thank you soooo much. I agree with you and am amazed at the like-minded souls (like you) who get it. Thank you, thank you and thanks for the reblog. Be well and good luck!!!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 7:05 pm
  76. Reblogged this on E-WOT and commented:
    This says it all. respect and acknowledgement of others help the blogosphere go round.

    Posted by sally07 | May 17, 2012, 7:04 pm
  77. I recently joined the blogging community. I am VERY appreciative of the advice given and would like to add one thing: share, share, and share other bloggers posts as well. Introduce reading back into the population 🙂

    Posted by musingsofthenichola | May 17, 2012, 7:11 pm
  78. Wow…thank you so very much! I’ve also been blogging for only a short time, but I’m learning along the way, often just fumbling along. I love how supportive and enouraging the blogging community is. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. And congrats on being Freshly Pressed! Peace and Blessings!

    Posted by dearsuburbia | May 17, 2012, 7:21 pm
  79. Like many others here, I’m a newbie and really appreciated the advice.
    Thanks!

    Posted by onehistorynerd | May 17, 2012, 7:21 pm
  80. Your remarks are helpful. Just getting started.

    Posted by Wanda | May 17, 2012, 7:24 pm
  81. Brigitte, how do you tell if something is a comment or spam? I seem to get very much spam … I think I do.

    Posted by kierkegaardschallenge | May 17, 2012, 7:33 pm
  82. I’ve also been blogging for only a few months and everyone is so nice and encouraging so far! Congrats on getting Freshly Pressed so soon 🙂

    Posted by Trish | May 17, 2012, 7:48 pm
  83. Just came across your blog on freshly pressed (congrats btw!) and completely love the way you write, articulate, concise and witty! Have recently started blogging too like many on here so thanks for the tips!

    Posted by saira777 | May 17, 2012, 7:51 pm
  84. As someone who has written a decent amount over the years, I’ve recently begun to blog consistently. I’m enjoying it. I’m also finding out that drawing in readers is difficult with so much great stuff out there… I exiled myself from social media for several years, and I am realizing that I handicapped myself by not being part of Facebook or Twitter.
    It is flattering to get positive responses and engage with bloggers who seem to value or find interest in ideas.
    Thanks for the tips!

    Posted by bluegrasspb | May 17, 2012, 7:54 pm
    • Hi and thank you. I’m not on Facebook or Twitter, (am old-school and only on Linked In). Just this little blog which I’m astounded about the responses. I’ve written all my life in some form or another. And you’re welcome for the tips. Hope that they resonate with you and you find them helpful. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 7:57 pm
  85. Great advice, you can always find something nice to say.

    Posted by Jim Norwood@Virtual Images 360 | May 17, 2012, 8:10 pm
  86. I’ve also only been blogging for several months, and found all of your tips to ring true. One of the things I’ve learned about the blogging world is a genuine sense of reciprocity. Be respectful and kind and you’ll get it back in return. Thanks for this.

    Posted by Isaac | May 17, 2012, 8:12 pm
    • Isaac, we are the same, only I happened to be chosen as a freshly-pressed. Your enormous education, insight and wit are greatly appreciated here. Thank you for stopping by to comment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 8:16 pm
  87. Thank you for taking the time to write this blog post. I feel there is a great deal of respect and appreciation shown in the blogging world as opposed to places like facebook or twitter. It’s not that these other places are inherently evil (though many would agree to a love/hate relationship with facebook) it is just that in the blogging world there is more appreciation, a thoughtfulness, for the sharing of ideas.

    I am proud to be a blogger and I’ve loved the support I’ve received. I notice every ‘Like’ and ‘Follow’ and when I do get a comment I always feel very excited. It’s a warm, almost loving feeling.

    The blogging community is so great that it’s helped me feel safe to be vulnerable. I have been posting poetry I’ve written. Just earlier today, I was thinking about how I am eager to publish a poem on my blog but I would never do that on my facebook.

    So I give you congratulations on being ‘freshly pressed’ and on the main page. That is the ultimate achievement! I laugh a little because now I’m sure you have a million comments and as your post recommends, you will have lots of writing back to do. Enjoy these moments for moments are opportunities and gifts and always a blessing.

    Thanks again,
    Ryan
    cozyblanketsnowflakerepetitioncompulsion

    Posted by cozyblanketsnowflakerepetitioncompulsion | May 17, 2012, 8:23 pm
    • Ryan, what a nice, thoughtful and beautifully-written comment. I don’t know anything about Facebook or Twitter! Just this blog and Linked In. I don’t know how one has time for all of them!! I find it very humbling I’ve been selected as freshly-pressed and have no idea how WordPress goes about making their selections and/or the criteria, but it is indeed nice and as you say, a blessing. I will enjoy these moments and again, thank you so much for your kind, kind comments. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:58 am
  88. Excellent advice – enjoyed reading this and learned some stuff too. Particularly like number 2 and your thinking man statue.

    Posted by on thehomefrontandbeyond | May 17, 2012, 8:36 pm
  89. You’re gonna have a busy time replying to all the comments on this post! 🙂 Congrats on getting Freshly Pressed. I really like this post and I totally agree with everything you have to say. 100%!
    I also like to visit someone who has followed my blog to check them out and at least say hey, thanks for stopping by! 🙂

    Posted by Cafe | May 17, 2012, 8:36 pm
  90. Thanks for the really useful tips and congratulations on being freshly pressed!

    Posted by thepreschoolchronicles | May 17, 2012, 8:37 pm
  91. I really enjoy this post. Like you, I have found that when ‘me’ becomes ‘We’, good things happen.

    Thanks for sharing these tips.

    Allan

    Posted by Allan G. Smorra | May 17, 2012, 8:42 pm
    • Isn’t that always the way? It’s very hard to not focus on the “me.” And you’re very welcome. I’ve never visited San Fran but have been on the West Coast. My sis says it’s grand. Thank you!!!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 17, 2012, 8:52 pm
  92. Hi Brigitte. Great post! It’s an easy read and seems to attract kindred spirits — the type of bloggers who are just starting out, appreciates good writing, and values graciousness and establishing connections. That’s it for now. I’m off to reading your old posts 🙂

    Posted by simplycessie | May 17, 2012, 8:55 pm
  93. Hi Brigitte
    Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed, especially after just four months – that’s inspirational in itself! I’m new to blogging too and really enjoying the online community.
    Enjoyed reading your post and look forward to reading more.

    Posted by Michelle Childs | May 17, 2012, 8:58 pm
  94. Good tips. Nice read. Thanks for sharing.

    Posted by Deborah Hutti | May 17, 2012, 9:04 pm
  95. Great post! I could not agree more! Congratz on FP!

    Posted by zorgor | May 17, 2012, 9:17 pm
  96. Thanks, I am just learning!

    Posted by marirambles | May 17, 2012, 9:38 pm
  97. SO guilty. Even just now. I was reading this, agreeing with EVERYTHING and thinking, yeah, I wish people commented more on my blog, especially the “bigger” bloggers that I support. A little love would be nice. And then you know what I did? Went to click and move on. Nope. Not gonna be that person! So here is some love. Hope everyone in the blogging world reads this!

    Posted by The Orange Rhino | May 17, 2012, 9:54 pm
  98. Great tips – thanks for sharing them!

    Posted by dianasschwenk | May 17, 2012, 10:00 pm
  99. Great post and thanks for the reminder that above all blogging is a social activity. Not long into it myself.

    Posted by the curtain raiser | May 17, 2012, 10:04 pm
  100. How can I not comment after reading that? Found you on Freshly Pressed. Interesting tips. I will keep them in mind. I am (relatively) new to blogging. I try to reply to most of the comments I receive and check out the blogs of my (very few) followers. From this post I’m going to take away that I should try to leave more comments on their blogs.

    Posted by Karen | May 17, 2012, 10:12 pm
  101. Thanks Brigitte 🙂
    It’s so refreshing to see someone encouraging manners, encouragement and positive interaction. Sometimes it seems people let fly in the internet world where they wouldn’t dare to face to face. At the end of the day, we are all still human.

    Posted by FlutterbyBear | May 17, 2012, 10:29 pm
  102. I love this post! Thanks for your positive online perspective, and for encouraging gracious interaction!

    Posted by LivinTheDream | May 17, 2012, 10:46 pm
  103. Some great advice, especially for a starting out blogger like me 🙂 Thanks so much

    Posted by dashcooray | May 17, 2012, 10:47 pm
  104. Brigitte, Loved your post! I’m new to the blogging world too and have been trying to follow many of these manners myself… you definitely opened my eyes to a couple new ones too! Congrats on making it to “Freshly Pressed” in such a short amount of time!!! I’m definitely hoping to reach that milestone at somepoint too…. right now I’m just happy with my steady increase in followers each day and still get excited each time I see a new view, like or comment on one of my posts! This stuff is ADDICTING! 🙂

    Thanks for the insight! I’ll be back!

    Posted by keepnupwithj | May 17, 2012, 10:48 pm
  105. Thank you so much Brigitte for sharing this advice. Today was a difficult blogging day for me, and I really needed some reminders on how to be gracious. Also, I love your use of photos and choice of quotations.

    Posted by thetickthatbitme | May 17, 2012, 10:52 pm
  106. You’ve written a lot of very gracious and polite things for comments. I wonder how many of all the wonderful people you got replies from are under 30? The younger generation can be rather rude. I’ve also seen some mature people get rather snotty because of the anonymity of the internet. I really enjoyed your article and read a few of the very favorable comments.

    Posted by pctipster | May 17, 2012, 11:06 pm
    • Not sure about the ages of the commenters/bloggers, but I’ve learned there are great, nice people in the blogging world of all ages. I’m so glad you enjoyed the post and thank you for taking the time to do so! :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:51 am
  107. It’s nice to see some suggestions for kind interaction online…all too often we use the internet as a place to spout off our own views without looking at or considering others. I love that your ideas all aim towards fostering a community of bloggers, too – we can all share wisdom, readership, and good writing!

    Posted by Lauren | May 17, 2012, 11:12 pm
  108. Excellent post. I agree to the tips you have enumerated. Thank you!

    Posted by guen | May 17, 2012, 11:16 pm
  109. Hi 🙂 All the five points are like the golden rules to blogging. Thank you 🙂

    Posted by theliteraryshack | May 17, 2012, 11:17 pm
  110. Thank you for these tips. It is nice to see that there are people out there that promote good manners. I really like your blog and your style of writing. I am a newbie at blogging so need all the tips I can get. cheers Judy

    Posted by judysp | May 17, 2012, 11:23 pm
  111. Great tips! I agree with them all! I do believe some blogs get so big that it is impossible to respond to all your fans, but I find fellow bloggers very engaging and funny and don’t have that problem, so I love responding to my comments. Congrats on getting Freshly Pressed!

    Posted by char | May 17, 2012, 11:35 pm
    • You are right about that, Char — some blogs become so large that responding to all comments are impossible. Thank you so much — I’m quite surprised about the Freshly Pressed thing and finding out just what that means to respond — it does take time! So appreciate your thoughtful comments. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:45 am
  112. Good reminder (and love the candle quote). It’s about the same as leaving a review on a book you read. Authors like to know that their hard work wasn’t in vain.

    Posted by J M Gallagher | May 17, 2012, 11:41 pm
  113. Great read, Brigitte. These are some good tips; I agree with them confidently. Fourth point is also often overlooked. Glad you took the time to emphasize!

    Posted by Sinfully Samantha | May 17, 2012, 11:42 pm
    • Hello Samantha — young optimist! (love that) and so glad you’ve found the tips useful. There are so many great blogs out there and they spurn ideas…so inserting a link back to their blog (even if you find it accidentally) is just good karma and courtesy. Thank you!!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:20 am
  114. Those really are great ideas and etiquette. I too am “relatively” new to the blogging world, and so far this community have been the most interesting, kind, polite, and supportive of many which I have came across. Very nice piece indeed! Keep it up~ =)

    Posted by OperationJA | May 17, 2012, 11:42 pm
  115. Thanks for writing this! sometimes when we are all ‘relatively’ anonymous on the internet, its easy to get lazy with etiquette and encouragement. I will definitely pay it forward by increasing my own interactions on wordpress. we are after all a community. 🙂

    Posted by noirxchat | May 17, 2012, 11:48 pm
  116. I think all these can be applied to everyday life – not just blogging! I don’t know if I agree that you should follow everyone that follows you. I think you should follow those who’s blogs provide something for you. In “real life” we aren’t friends with someone just because they want to be friends with us. It would be a fake friendship and this would be a fake follow. But maybe I’m not qualified to make judgements because I’m so very new to blogging – I don’t even think I have any followers (I don’t know how to check!). In the end I like kind words, giving credit where due, being positive, sharing your knowledge, etc are all things we should incorporate into our everyday lives. Thanks for the reminder 🙂 Happy Blogging!

    Posted by myhonestself | May 17, 2012, 11:48 pm
    • I think you have made an excellent point here. One can’t possibly follow all blogs that follow them. I wrote this post before becoming freshly pressed! I do try to comment and reply to other fellow bloggers that take the time to follow and comment on mine. You’ve made some great points here, ones I didn’t think of. BTW, your blog is so bright, warm and inviting and I see you’ve stopped by a blog I visited — your project looks beautiful and I LOVE the title, Just Me and My Peanuts, so great! Be well!!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:14 am
      • Thanks for taking a peek 🙂 and I have to say one final thing – I am very impressed that you’ve managed to reply to all your comments even after being Freshly Pressed. That is another thing we need more of in life: Not just saying something but doing what you say! Your point has been proven, great job 🙂

        Posted by myhonestself | May 18, 2012, 10:40 am
  117. Nice post, Brigitte. I agree with everything you said, and always try to adhere to those principles. In doing so, I’ve made a whole load of new friends in the blog world, and am part of a wonderful community of fellow bloggers. xxx

    Posted by ailsapm | May 18, 2012, 12:00 am
  118. A lovely post, and it would be nice if everyone could remember to give a little encouragement or positive feedback when it is deserved. Congratulations on FP!

    Posted by Kookith | May 18, 2012, 12:10 am
    • Thank you! BTW, your King Crab and Grapefruit salad on your blog looks soooo delicious. Going to have to try that. Have a great day!!!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:06 am
      • Thank you for visiting my blog 🙂 I too, am quite a newbie in the blogging world. As for the King Crab and Grapefruit salad, it is not mine at all (I wish it was!). I reblogged it from This French Farmhouse. I think you’ll enjoy that blog, the pictures are stunning!

        http://thisfrenchfarmhouse.com/

        Posted by Kookith | May 20, 2012, 3:49 am
  119. I have been blogging about the same amount of time, and it seems to me you are right on track with these tips for showing courtesy to one another! It is a pleasure to get to know other like minds through this medium. Thanks for your excellent post.

    Posted by mark lloyd richardson | May 18, 2012, 12:11 am
  120. Tonight, I read a grumpy comment that someone left on my blog and had the impulse to write an even grumpier reply, but there’s really no point in putting the negativity out there. My blog’s just meant to be fun, not contentious! Perfect timing. Thanks!

    Posted by hungrylindsay | May 18, 2012, 12:18 am
    • Wow, that’s impressive. I agree with you absolutely! There just no reason to respond to a negative comment or have it on your blog. Best to comment to those nice people that take the time to respond in a generous and positive way. Good luck to you and thanks for leaving you nice, positive comment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:03 am
  121. Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed! Your energy is inspiring to respond to all these comments, love your Pollack background too. 😀

    Posted by matermusearts | May 18, 2012, 12:26 am
    • Thank you! Not sure about the background thing — ?? But how nice to say my energy is inspiring. That’s a great thing. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:01 am
    • I’m dense sometimes — you mean Jackson Pollack background. Actually this is one of my paintings! I’ve done a couple where I just get a huge canvas and dip my brushes and hands in paint and sling on a canvas. It’s fun and liberating. Must be why JP did it that way. Thanks for the HUGE compliment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 20, 2012, 12:40 pm
  122. My blog is still a work in progress and your comments were helpful. My nature is to be critical and I have learned this is a weakness and searching for the positive is what will assist me in my own writing.

    Posted by writerspathway | May 18, 2012, 12:32 am
  123. Everyday I come across a blog which inspires me. WordPress is a wonderful community where we can share our ideas, learn something new everyday and make certain beautiful connections.
    I loved your tips; these are the ones I try to follow everyday.
    Great post, congrats on being freshly pressed. 🙂

    Posted by howanxious | May 18, 2012, 12:36 am
    • I know what you mean. There are so many lovely blogs out there and people are very nice and encouraging. Thank you for your kind words and I’m amazed at the freshly pressed thing. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 8:55 am
  124. Good one!!! 🙂

    Posted by leadingwayahead | May 18, 2012, 12:49 am
  125. I have so much to seek after reading this blog !! thanks for taking out time to guide us on your experiences on blog writing and socializing with other fellow bloggers !! it was worth the read !!

    Posted by Aziz Ampanwala | May 18, 2012, 1:04 am
  126. Hi Brigitte, great write up, I enjoyed reading your post.

    You are quite right about the comments, negative ones do hurt, and the positive ones make it all worth while. It’s the power of energy either negative or positive that effects every single one of us, that’s why it’s important to try live your own life in the energy of Unconditional love, then nothing gets to us, because then we don’t judge, and we have compassion and we know everything is alright!

    Have a beautiful day.
    🙂

    Posted by palmtreelifestyle | May 18, 2012, 1:28 am
  127. great tips! thanks for sharing Brigitte! your blog is wonderful

    Posted by hotelgoddess | May 18, 2012, 1:33 am
  128. I actually thought it was extremely kind and gracious that you even thought to write this, and I thought “yeah–people really aren’t polite enough these days. I totally agree!” It seems like common courtesy, but the reminder was a nice nudge. Loved it!

    Posted by roadiescrolls | May 18, 2012, 1:37 am
  129. Great, positive post. Something to keep in mind.

    Posted by Healthy Demeanor | May 18, 2012, 1:49 am
  130. These are all true and must be heeded by everyone who wants their blog to have a place in this very big blogging world.

    Posted by J Besonia | May 18, 2012, 2:07 am
  131. Very nice article brigittebanter. I’m also a novice blogger. You just gave me wonderful tips to continue my blogs. Keep it up!

    Posted by jhonacabaltera | May 18, 2012, 2:26 am
  132. Thank you for this. I need to work out my blogging social skills more. 😀

    Posted by rNest | May 18, 2012, 2:44 am
  133. Wow! This is the first blog that ive read after joining wordpress n it has guided me a lot about the blogging world in just five points. Thank you.

    Posted by bhupeshmishra | May 18, 2012, 3:31 am
  134. I hope your words reach out to more people! While some of these pointers are pretty much common sense, it’s surprising how many people don’t actually do this stuff!

    Posted by drewpan | May 18, 2012, 3:31 am
  135. liked the post. thank you! 🙂

    Posted by neelimanair | May 18, 2012, 3:32 am
  136. Those are bloglife changing thoughts bro…. Awesome…..

    Posted by bhupeshmishra | May 18, 2012, 3:38 am
  137. Excellent post.
    Thanks for sharing and your tips. I like leave a comment and share the love please too….

    Posted by lijiujiu | May 18, 2012, 4:43 am
  138. Really liked this post, so true. Would have just “liked” but after reading felt rude unless I commented as well 🙂

    Posted by sabreenakaur | May 18, 2012, 5:00 am
  139. Nice and Useful tips 🙂

    Posted by tyogav | May 18, 2012, 5:06 am
  140. Well deserved for freshly pressed 🙂 Indeed there are some wonderful people who take the time to comment back…

    P.s That picture for “like” is so cool 🙂

    Posted by vandysnape | May 18, 2012, 5:17 am
  141. Thank you for the tips, I’m new at blogging so I can really use some tips! 🙂
    Beautiful blog by the way!

    Posted by w3loveyoga | May 18, 2012, 5:19 am
  142. Thank you for sharing this. I just started blogging a few months ago. I haven’t much time to post new things but I make sure to take the time to read and comment on the blogs that I follow. The best thing thing that I like about blogging is interacting with fellow bloggers. Great post you have here! 🙂

    Posted by ladywithabirthmark | May 18, 2012, 5:37 am
  143. A lovely short post. Thanks fo the tips, I enjoyed the read and will definitely follow your lead 🙂

    Posted by music4meez | May 18, 2012, 5:45 am
  144. It’s important to foster good will, no matter what the circumstances are. Blogging especially.

    Posted by Jbot | May 18, 2012, 5:54 am
  145. Hi Brigette,
    Beautifully worded. Thank you for re instilling some human qualities into the massive cyberworld. Brigette, you are perceptive, courageous and courteous!
    You have accomplished so much in just four months!
    Thanks to you i’m currently checking out all the fellow bloggers who have left a comment on this post!
    I hope they know where cabramatta is! LOL

    Posted by iheartcabramatta | May 18, 2012, 6:17 am
  146. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed! This post is a great guide to courteous blogging.

    Posted by Eagle-Eyed Editor | May 18, 2012, 6:32 am
  147. Great post Brigitte

    Posted by David Kanigan | May 18, 2012, 6:33 am
  148. Number Four is really important. Once a WordPress blogger friend was inspired by something I wrote to write a related post, and she reference me in the first paragraph with a link. Then, her piece got Freshly Pressed which meant a TON more traffic for me! Not only is it just common courtesy to reference inspirations, but it also really helps share the wealth around, and that’s why I’m always referencing and name-dropping other blogs that deserve more attention than they might be getting.

    Posted by The Waiting | May 18, 2012, 6:35 am
  149. Ok i think definitely you are going to reply me. Could you just comment in my blog…;)

    Posted by Prabaharan E | May 18, 2012, 6:59 am
  150. I agree 100% with everything you said there – it’s just common decency and manners.

    Posted by propagandaphotos | May 18, 2012, 7:05 am
  151. Reblogged this on KeepnUpWithJ and commented:
    I love her positive outlook on the way our little social community can and should work. I try to do all of these things… do you?

    Posted by keepnupwithj | May 18, 2012, 7:24 am
  152. This is a great piece. I really like it. You can be the Miss Manners of blogging! Thank you!

    Posted by jimmyandcha | May 18, 2012, 8:01 am
  153. Yes very good. Simple, true, makes sense.
    Thanks Brigitte. Carl SilverRiver.

    Posted by Carl SilverRiver | May 18, 2012, 8:14 am
  154. You are so right – it really works.

    Posted by welikethemoon | May 18, 2012, 8:38 am
  155. thank you for your advice, most useful!

    Posted by magicarganoil | May 18, 2012, 8:52 am
  156. I’m new to blogging and I love it when I get a comment – it is very exciting to know someone’s reading your stuff! Thanks for this one and I’m off to read more of your posts… x

    Posted by localfamilystuff | May 18, 2012, 8:55 am
  157. Like some of the other people here i am new to blogging, and I really do appreciate your insight here. It’s hard to think about being polite in terms of reading someone’s blog, but having good manners can really take you far in the virtual world as well as the real one.

    Posted by klynneduvall | May 18, 2012, 9:00 am
  158. Your I sights are very inspiring for me, in that you, give reinforcement, in an area, that is sometimes, and most often overlooked,

    Thank you, a very worthwhile reading,

    Lu kathy

    Posted by lilkathy | May 18, 2012, 9:02 am
  159. Congrats on being FP! I have mixed feelings about comments and likes. If I like something or have an opinion, I certainly say so, but sometimes, I just have nothing to say or, quite honestly, am not all that interested in a particular blog I’ve checked out. I won’t say something negative, but don’t feel obliged to comment. Even if I do like a blog, I don’t necessarily have anything to add to the conversation. We all have stat counters to tell us whether anyone has been there. I guess it all depends on your reason for blogging. Anyway, I see I’m out-numbered here!

    Posted by Sarah | May 18, 2012, 9:02 am
    • Thank you, Sarah. Your point is a good one and I think you’re right about that. Sometimes just a like (as I’m finding out) is as rewarding as a comment. Some blogs resonate with readers and that’s usually when she/he comments. Thank you for your nice comments. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:31 am
  160. Your blog inspired me just to start blogging again! I’ve been lazy the past few months. I must say, for someone who has only been blogging for four months, you sure have a lot of readers so you must be doing something right. The tips you offered were wonderful, and it’s so nice to hear someone just come out and say it. Leave comments! Click “like”! Say “thank you” when someone likes your blog or leaves a comment. Follow those who follow you. Seems like these should be common sense but in today’s busy blogging world, it seems as though everyone just rushes their way through reading a blog without taking the time to enjoy it or reflect on it long enough to leave a comment. So thank you for reminding us to slow down, leave a few kind words of inspiration or positivity, and help spread the word about others blogs 🙂 Have a great day!

    Posted by Neo | May 18, 2012, 9:10 am
    • Wow, thanks so much for your nice words. I’m stunned at the comments from so many talented and inspiring bloggers. It does take time, effort, patience and dedication. Like anything else, when one puts forth their best effort is shows. I think the key is setting a blogging schedule. I try to blog three times a week and also comment and reach out to other bloggers. Thanks so much for your very nice comments and you have a nice day!!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:29 am
  161. It is really well written. Someone commented on my blog when I was in middle of yours. I made it a point to reply back!

    Posted by Sohini Sarkar | May 18, 2012, 9:19 am
  162. hello, great post. i agree on the fact of liking other people’s post and leaving comment out of courtesy. I put so much hard work into to each post, yet no really comments. but never the less what u said is true. 😀 Btw congrats being freshly pressed 😀

    Posted by jenstar25 | May 18, 2012, 9:28 am
    • Hi Jenny and thank you. It is hard work writing these blogs and it feels as if sometimes no one is listening, but if you keep at it, you’ll gain a following. Thanks so much for you nice comment.

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:39 am
  163. I posted a link to this entry on my blog ’cause I like the thinking, the style, and the notion. Thanx, bgbg

    http://www.opinionsarefree.wordpress.com

    bgbg

    Posted by bgbgbgbg | May 18, 2012, 9:33 am
  164. “Gracious:” doesn’t seem to be a term often heard…thank you for defining it so clearly and reminding us that it doesn’t take much effort to be gracious!

    Posted by Margarita | May 18, 2012, 9:40 am
  165. I’m just starting out and found this post to be super helpful! THANKS! And congrats on Freshly Pressed.

    Posted by Lace | May 18, 2012, 9:41 am
    • Hey there — thank you!!! I wish you every success with your blog and so appreciate your stopping by to comment.

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 10:11 am
    • I’m fairly new to blogging, as well, and am not yet receiving many comments or “likes” on my site. I think that your blog helped me grasp the necessity of reciprocity. It really is about showing appreciation for relevant blogs. I am going to start doing more of this. Thanks for the insight.

      Posted by twocandobooks | May 18, 2012, 12:32 pm
      • Thanks so much. I think it’s like most anything else, what you give you get back in return. So nice of you to take the time to comment and have a great weekend!

        Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 12:54 pm
  166. Wow you have done amazing in only four months. I am impressed. This was great advise and very well put. I love the ending quote about a candle not losing it’s light. Isn’t that an inspiration in so many aspects of our lives. If we share our “light” the world will truly be a “brighter” place.
    Please do not feel obligated to reply to the comment. Today is one day you may need to cut yourself a break. The blogging world will understand.
    Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed.

    Posted by Sandra | May 18, 2012, 9:46 am
  167. Thank you so much for this! I think the blogging community does need the occasional reminder about “liking” and commenting, as I’ve noticed myself that I will often see a good number of views on a post, but no comments or very few likes. Its nice to get hits, and to see that people are coming to your blog, but the ‘likes’ and comments are what truly show how people feel about your writing.

    Posted by ElizabethGrace | May 18, 2012, 9:51 am
    • Hi Elizabeth, thank you and so glad your found the post interesting. You’re right, it is thrilling to get those likes and comments and truthfully, this is way beyond anything I ever imagined. I’ve got some blog exploring to do the next few weeks!:)

      Here’s to hoping many likes and comments to your lovely blog as well. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 10:08 am
  168. Hi Brigitte,
    These are truly great tips to blog by! I too am very new to blogging as only this week finally opened my personal rookie guitar player journal to the World as of May 15th, so have been curiously exploring this WordPress community ever since. I find the poetic enthusiasm of the talented writers, like yourself, in this community rather inspiring. The words of wisdom on writing really do help the transition in finally deciding to share the thoughts in my head with a wider audience.
    Looking forward to being rocked by more of your words, when your ‘rascally little muse’ next decides to come out to play!
    – Joel.

    Posted by Joel BB | May 18, 2012, 9:56 am
    • Hi Joel! Thank you, you going to find so many creative and funny souls out there. And yeah, that muse of mine takes some coaxing at times. :). Good luck — I’m sure you’re going to love exploring the world of blogging and good, great luck!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 10:06 am
  169. Good stuff! I’ve been trying to develop a habit of writing for my blog for quite some time now and this article serves as a little inspiration. You might be only blogging for four months but your content is ripe.

    Good work!

    Posted by Gabe Leal | May 18, 2012, 10:14 am
  170. Thank you for these tips. I just started blogging for two days and this helps me a lot especially blogging etiquette.

    Posted by wittymistee | May 18, 2012, 10:26 am
  171. Thanks, Brigitte. A week from now I’m giving a talk about the Soul of Blogging. Your article helps me to highlight an important blogging culture. Thanks again.

    Posted by Rem Tanauan | May 18, 2012, 10:27 am
  172. You obviously “walk the talk”. Thanks for the tips. I’m very new at this, but blogging is a great way to educate patients on a number of allergy conditions. Your tips will help me stick with it!

    Posted by lynnawiensmd | May 18, 2012, 10:59 am
  173. Great post! Thank you for the tips 🙂

    Posted by thenocturnalphilosopher | May 18, 2012, 11:05 am
  174. I’vebeen blogging for two months and I so agree … and hanks for sharing your insight. 🙂 And congrats on Freshly Pressed

    Posted by jensine | May 18, 2012, 11:21 am
  175. So you’re telling me this comment right here is gonna earn my blog a visit from you? =D
    But seriously, I agree with everything you said!

    Posted by eternalabsurdity | May 18, 2012, 11:22 am
  176. Definitely inspirational and great tips. Thanks for sharing. We are all entitled to our own opinions and ideas, but being respectful and courteous is something we need more of!!!!

    Posted by alisonkunefke | May 18, 2012, 11:23 am
  177. Reblogged this on Losing A Person and Finding Myself – Major Weight-loss Journey and commented:
    Loved this post. Thought I’d share it with you all if you haven’t seen it on Freshly Pressed.

    Posted by mye1212 | May 18, 2012, 11:36 am
  178. um, why am i not following your blog? ridiculous. i thought i was…anyhoo, this is much deserved and a great post on blogger quid pro quo that should happen all the time or that the very least as often as possible. well done, indeed, my friend. xo, sweet mother

    Posted by sweetmother | May 18, 2012, 12:02 pm
  179. A fellow blogger friend of mine and I were just discussing the other day if part of blog etiquette should be that if when YOU blog you try to not use your real name or location, shouldn’t commenters respect your privacy in the same way? She has had people write comments with her family’s real names and location. It easy enough to abbreviate real names with initials. Just something for people to maybe be mindful of:)

    Posted by funnygurl2 | May 18, 2012, 12:10 pm
    • I think it’s a choice and as long as your blog is “nice” and clean, it will portray you as that. Yes, commenters should respect privacy. I do. :). Thank you for the tip — it’s a good one and for your nice comment.

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 12:33 pm
  180. This is very helpful. I am pretty new to blogging and have found ways to follow and comment on fellow wordpress blogs, but I am having trouble figuring out how to do the same for blogs that don’t use wordpress. Any tips out there for that? Thanks for the helpful pointers! Also, do you know if there is a way to get rid of the “notify me of comments via e-mail” so that people will automatically get notified if they get a response I feel like some folks miss my response because they didn’t know to click that little box. Sometimes, even forget!

    Posted by newsofthetimes | May 18, 2012, 12:17 pm
    • I don’t know anything about other blog platforms other than WordPress, so not sure about commenting on others — ? I usually Google a subject and weed through until I find an answer. :). You could try a “gentle” reminder about “please click the notify button” so that they’ll be sure to know you responded. I think bloggers are pretty savvy around here,though. Thank you for your nice comment!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 12:37 pm
      • Yes, fellow bloggers definitely know to click the box – although as I said, sometimes even I forget. I was hoping to find a way to make it easier for friends and family to follow…Thanks again for a thoughtful post! I hope you are not getting too overwhelmed with comments!

        Posted by newsofthetimes | May 18, 2012, 12:44 pm
      • I think WordPress had it set up automatically to do that and people weren’t happy about it, so now it’s up to the person to click that little box. Hopefully, they will remember. ;).

        Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 12:47 pm
  181. Hey hi..
    Really liked your post. Have posted the link on my blog and am asking others to read it too. Am quite new too in blogging and even though i started my account long back, i just got to revive it and check on it quite often. Hoping to read and write some interesting and informative stuff..Hope it works .. Cool one though !!

    Posted by kavswitch | May 18, 2012, 12:18 pm
  182. I try to follow the rules you have listed here. But it’s still good to read them again and have them reinforced. I’ve only been commenting more on people’s blogs and I’m amazed at the connections I’ve made. It’s awesome!

    Posted by amelie88 | May 18, 2012, 12:22 pm
    • Hi Amelie (love your name BTW) and that you are “a chica from Nueva York living in Madrid.” How exciting!!! Hope you have a wonderful time exploring and thank you so much for your nice comments. It is amazing the feedback and the benevolent spirit of the blogging community. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 12:41 pm
      • Yeah I’ve been living in Madrid the past 2 years, but heading back to NY in September. And thanks for the name compliment–I got stuck with a French name because of my dad (he is from France). And your name is French too! 🙂

        Posted by amelie88 | May 18, 2012, 1:11 pm
  183. Well, if nothing else, this got you a lot of comments. More than likes I see. Your words must have hit home to everyone as much as they did to me. It’s a great set of rules. I’m a pretty new blogger, and getting a comment is so great that I always make sure to check out the blog that commented and if there’s anything good, I share a post on twitter or fb.

    Posted by EzraWontShutUp | May 18, 2012, 12:43 pm
  184. I love that quote by Anne Lamott. Thanks for the blogging etiquette – good thoughts to remember, that you don’t get anywhere without the encouragement and cheers of your supporters.

    Posted by Brooke | May 18, 2012, 12:54 pm
    • I do too! Love Anne Lamott. See that you are a creative writing major — how wonderful. I wish you happy blogging and writing. You’re right, encouragement and support go very far. C’est la vie, right? ;).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 12:58 pm
  185. Hey Brigette, Nice post… I started writing 2 weeks back and I am really happy to read the above blog. Thanks for the tips 🙂

    Posted by 22karine | May 18, 2012, 1:22 pm
  186. I have always been a fan of good manners. I think this new ‘social media’ changes the way people look at things and some might think that politeness doesn’t matter when it comes to blogs. You have reminded a lot of us not to forget our blog manners. Yes this time I actually agree with freshly pressed – really enjoyed!

    Posted by hattydaze | May 18, 2012, 1:38 pm
    • Hi Hatty! Respect and kindness always matter no matter what venue you’re in and thank you for saying so. The freshly-pressed has taken me by surprise, but it’s a very nice surprise. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 1:48 pm
  187. I know I know I know ; I have to comment 🙂 LOL Thank you so much for the remainder.I will start today. I will start NOW. 🙂 the tips will be applied by yours’ truly.

    Posted by MediaEatOut | May 18, 2012, 2:17 pm
    • Ha! Well, you don’t have to. There’s only bloggin’ love here at the Banter, but its sooooo appreciated. Glad you liked the post and thanks so much for the comment. (I’ll take likes and/or comments). 🙂

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 2:22 pm
  188. Nicely done! I do believe that in losing “face time” we can sometimes lose the realization that there are actual people behind (or in front of) the screen. Thanks so much for the reinforcement and reassurance.

    Posted by Jody | May 18, 2012, 2:25 pm
  189. I think your list is great. I would add, though, that you should only comment if you have really read the post. I’ve received comments before which are obviously from someone who just wants to say “I was here” rather than respond to what I actually wrote.

    Posted by Lisa Wields Words | May 18, 2012, 2:27 pm
    • I understand what you mean. But likes and comments are important and I think we’re all guilty of “scanning” at times. Hopefully when one does that they do get the general gist of the post, though. Thanks so much, Lisa for reading and commenting. ;).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 2:49 pm
  190. Great tips! As someone who is trying to build my blog audience, I’ve come to realize how valuable it is to support other’s blog endeavors.

    Posted by Ashley | May 18, 2012, 2:50 pm
  191. I just started my blog a little over a week ago – thanks for sharing this – great information.

    Posted by Hope | May 18, 2012, 3:06 pm
  192. I ‘like’, I agree, and I am commenting! Thanks for the very useful guidance, as a new blogger it’s very helpful 🙂

    Posted by Renée Starr | May 18, 2012, 3:47 pm
  193. Very well said. I can probably surmise the same in three phrases:

    Give credit where it’s due.
    Say nothing if you have nothing good to say.
    Take everything with a grain of salt.

    Posted by coffeebugg | May 18, 2012, 3:53 pm
  194. I am a new blogger myself and I found this guide to be quite useful. Thank you for taking the time to write this. I will be making more of an effort to interact in the blogging community, though it is a challenge sometimes when you have nothing to say that hasn’t been said before. It’s important for me to add my own creative spin on everything I do that is associated with my blog.

    Posted by nanashistudios | May 18, 2012, 4:20 pm
  195. Thanks for the tips! My blog is new and I’ve been trying to figure out how to get more views!

    Posted by youngandfreshlife | May 18, 2012, 4:47 pm
  196. I’ve been blogging for about a month and a half now and feel a bit as if I’m in a vacuum. I’ve only just come across this part of WordPress and perhaps that was my mistake. I see a lot of marketing and sales driven blogs, and as much as I can appreciate the ‘How to …’ and ‘Five ways to …’ type blogs, I like people having a bit of a ramble about what they think too. I like that you’ve managed to take the marketing/sales driven style and turn it into something about manners. There seems to be an awful lot of fighting on the Internet these days, so it’s nice to see something that reminds us to be gracious. Bravo!

    Posted by joewils73 | May 18, 2012, 5:13 pm
    • Wow, what a nice compliment and thanks so much for that. I think if you blog regularly and find what it is that makes YOU happy, it will come. Don’t you think? Thanks so much for your kind words — they are much appreciated.

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 5:16 pm
  197. Great tips! In a world as large as the internet it’s easy to get discouraged and think that no one will pay attention to your blog, but your positivity is very helpful!

    Posted by becomingelizabeth | May 18, 2012, 5:14 pm
  198. Good points to keep in mind. No reply necessary 🙂

    Posted by 5th Grade Teacher | May 18, 2012, 5:20 pm
  199. I am so happy to have found someone writing about positivity in the “blogging community”. Everything that you’re saying is true – there are people being the words that we all read who not only welcome but also look forward to feedback from other bloggers and readers alike!

    Getting back into blogging after a four year break has proven difficult but your words here gave me that extra little push that I needed to remember that starting out is tough but there are people out there reading every day.

    Today there are so many more blogs out there and getting hits on a new blog is not as easy as it once was. Getting feedback is even harder! I make a point to comment on the things that I read, whether they inspired me or not because it’s important to let someone know you’re out there, you’re reading and that their words have made you think!

    Thank you for your wonderful words and keep up the great work! I look forward to more posts!

    Posted by The Loose Ends | May 18, 2012, 6:01 pm
    • I can see why you appreciated a blog about “nice” — your comments certainly reflect that. I so hope you’ll blog more and if I’ve helped in any small way, then that makes me so happy. What a nice thing to say and your comments mean so much to me. I hope you’ll visit again soon. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:19 pm
  200. Thanks for the tips! I’m new to blogging, and this is very helpful! Good etiquette is never out of style!

    Posted by rabbittandwolf | May 18, 2012, 6:05 pm
  201. Thanks Brigitte 🙂
    It’s so refreshing to see someone encouraging manners, encouragement and positive interaction. Sometimes it seems people let fly in the internet world where they wouldn’t dare to face to face. At the end of the day, we are all still human.

    Posted by Duas | May 18, 2012, 6:34 pm
    • You’re very welcome and it’s amazing how many people have agreed with these sentiments. It’s easy to feel as if no one is reading and then boom — you realize that are so many kind souls out there that feel the same way. Thanks so much. ;).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:23 pm
  202. Excellent post…thanks for laying down some blogetiquettes…

    Posted by rp71 | May 18, 2012, 6:39 pm
  203. Brigitte – thank you for the post. Well said. Your post made me feel like I was standing in a room with you, talking, well, YOU were talking and I was listening… 🙂

    Posted by seapunk2 | May 18, 2012, 6:43 pm
  204. I am brand new to blogging myself and trying to make the time to read blogs by going through freshly pressed which is how I found yours. Great tips that I plan to put you use.

    Posted by crystallaurenabstracts | May 18, 2012, 7:24 pm
    • Hi Crystal — so glad you found me and welcome to the blogging world. You’ll find alot of kind people in the community and I hope you’ll stop in again. The very best to you as you start your blog adventure. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:28 pm
  205. I have to confess that I´ve stopped commenting on other people´s blogs so often, as many bloggers don´t publish my comments (even though I am always flattering, polite, etc. — I´m not a troll). It´s frustrating to write comments that never see the light of day. Other than that, I would agree with all your suggestions.

    Posted by Terpsichoral | May 18, 2012, 9:29 pm
    • Hi, glad you stopped in and took the time to comment! I so appreciate your comment and hope that the tips prove to be helpful to you. I hope you’ll continue to comment on blogs — it does work eventually! There are plenty of nice folks out there and I wish you the very best with your cool, tango blog. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 9:33 pm
  206. Thanks for sharing your helpful ideas. I’m new to the blogging community as well, but I already love the positive community I find it to be. Most people seem to want to help others, and in return it helps them as well. Congrats on getting Freshly Pressed!

    Posted by jessicajhill | May 18, 2012, 9:34 pm
  207. That are helpful tips Jessica. I just started blogging last November and I am still on my roaming around stage. But yes you are right, it will surely help if you leave your marks whenever you visit someone’s blog through most often than not Stats only shows traffic but I get no comment. Sad. Only a few were nice to provide me feedback if I am doing it right.
    You have extended some effort to write your thoughts on this matter and really I am one with you on this. This is my first blog here in wordpress and I am writing an installment novel, I stayed oftentimes at blogspot for random thoughts.
    Keep up what you have started. You are doing well..

    Posted by thirtytwoshells | May 19, 2012, 12:33 am
    • Hi, thank you! I think it’s a matter of when you’re roaming around to find/like/comment on those blogs that are akin to who you are, your interests and once you begin leaving comments and coming back, you’ll find others will do the same. Thanks so much for stopping by, your very nice comments and hope you’ll visit again. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:08 am
  208. Thank you for this post I’m just starting up so blogging is relatively new for me, but I’m going to keep these blogging tips in mind! For when I get better at it!

    Posted by nonikaye92 | May 19, 2012, 12:35 am
    • Good luck on your blogging adventure! Love the panda pics, BTW. We all are a work in progress and “get better” as we go along. Hope you found the tips useful and keep blogging and writing down those things you want. Thanks so much! :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:10 am
  209. I love that your post has generated so much dialogue and some very thoughtful comments. I think that the community aspect of blogging is what it is all about and comments are a big part of that — without them a blogger is just writing in a vacuum, not knowing if they are hitting the mark for any of their readers. I find comments and responses to posts helpful in thinking about other ideas for posts, even though my focus is food. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed!

    Posted by profiterolesandponytails | May 19, 2012, 12:46 am
    • Thank you! I’m a little stunned by it myself, but it’s very encouraging people find the rules of being kind so interesting and are taking the time to comment! Your blog looks delicious BTW and the pics are gorgeous. How nice you were able to take a cooking class in Paris!!! Bon Appetit! Thanks so much for your nice comment.

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:14 am
  210. nice tips… so after read it i should leave a comment now…. 😛

    Posted by lung2x | May 19, 2012, 1:09 am
  211. Thanks for reminding me of the blogging courtesies!

    Posted by Rajan Tande | May 19, 2012, 1:40 am
  212. Hello Brigitte!

    This is an informative post. You really pointed out some important stuff to take into consideration in blogging. I agree with you on leaving nice/positive comments. I just want to share something my opinion – when making comments and you cannot hold on to a negative one, give out the positive points first and give a constructive criticism. Or if possible and not laborious for you, send the person a private message.

    Even in our daily encounters, it would be better if we only acknowledge the positive in the obvious. Like for example, you meet a friend who seems to have gained weight. Instead of greeting her with “Hey! You look fat (or even if you politely say “You seem to have gained a little weight” it still sounds negative)”, I guess you can just praise her new haircut or her glowing skin or her flattering dress.

    I think that also goes with posting comments or even writing blog articles. We should spread positivity in this world! 🙂

    And thanks for sharing your ideas. Congratulations on being freshly pressed!

    Posted by Aubrey | May 19, 2012, 1:48 am
    • Hi Aubrey, you’ve made some wonderful points/suggestions and thanks so much for that. I so agree with you. Focus on the positive and be kind. So glad you are “dipping your toes in the water” of blogging and hope you’ll keep doing so. Thanks so much for your nice comments.:).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:18 am
  213. great post. reblogging it. i’m relatively new to the blogging world(not time wise but no. of posts wise). reading your post cleared a doubt that i’ve harboured for some time now. i thought that if i ‘liked’ or commented on too many posts i would be considered akin to a sort of stalker 🙂 hence restrained myself. won’t do so anymore..thanks for sharing..

    Posted by hemadamani | May 19, 2012, 1:51 am
    • Hi Hema! Thank you for the reblog. I don’t think people think of it that way. It’s nice to get likes and comments — either are nice. So glad this blog “sparked some feelings” for you as I see from your blog some lovely things do! Take care and hope you’ll visit again. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:20 am
  214. I have been blogging for many years, and just start a new one today. I found this article is relevant more now than ever. Thank you. Being polite is always nice.

    Posted by gpoovan | May 19, 2012, 2:24 am
  215. Reblogged this on S K Y ( हर कोई चाहता है एक मुठ्ठी आसमान ) and commented:
    To create a best blog who fulfilled our expectation as fame and perhaps money and satisfaction is a constant process. Here I found one more blogging tips and is much useful to me and may be proven to my blog visitors also.

    Posted by MG | May 19, 2012, 2:50 am
  216. How did you get the widgetty thing on what you’re currently reading? I like that…

    Right, to the post at hand, based on this, I think I’d like to take a little time to do write ups on the blogs I like and why I like them. If I take the time to blogroll someone’s blog, I might as well take the time to share why I follow them, if for no other reason than to share with my readers why they should look into those blogs. Er…that was a trifle convoluted.

    Posted by Sylvia | May 19, 2012, 2:56 am
    • Hi (Sylvia – ?) I love that idea and I ‘heard’ another blogger I follow and that follows me mention that as well. That would definitely be a great post, don’t you think?

      The widgety thing — do you mean the Goodreads? I did that some time ago and if memory serves, I think you’ll find that widget in your WordPress dashboard under Appearance-Widgets. You grab it and move it over to your sidebar once you go over to Goodreads and register. It’s cool, you can write short reviews on books as well. Thanks so much for your nice comments!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:47 am
  217. This is excellent advice. It is difficult to know what the blogging protocol is when you are a newbie blogger. I often wonder if I should be replying to likes, too? Have a great day! 🙂

    Posted by bigsmileu1 | May 19, 2012, 2:57 am
    • Hi and thank you! I’m learning as I go as well. I think it might be a bit difficult replying to likes — maybe just see who those folks are and visit their blog and “like” what they are doing as well. Love you 30 Days of Gratitude. Very nice and thanks so much for your comment!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:43 am
  218. An insightful post, I have been guilty of some of the ‘wrongdoings’. Keep writing!

    Posted by crimsondaisy | May 19, 2012, 3:37 am
  219. Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed. I think you said it all – concisely and perfectly organized. 😀

    Posted by Debra Kristi | May 19, 2012, 3:40 am
  220. Gosh, you ‘ve set yourself quite a task to reply to so many comments – but well done, your generosity of spirit and wise words deserve this huge response! Lots to take away and remember here, and I love the layout of your blog too – I much prefer photos integrated into the text rather than some people’s preference of having every picture taking up the whole width of the page. I try to do this with my own blog too (if you have time to take a look, you’ll see!) I am trying to get into the habit of taking photos with the camera on my phone whenever I’m in the middle of an experience that makes me feel I’ve got a new blog post coming on, though I love WordPress’s tool for finding free photos online too. That’s a great quote that you end with – applicable to life as a whole, not just to blogging!

    Posted by Debbie Young | May 19, 2012, 3:51 am
    • Hi Debbie, your photos are gorgeous and living in a lovely village like that, how great is that?? Love the Readathon charity you mentioned — what a beautiful charity that helps so many children — wonderful!!! I agree with you; I like pictures scattered within the text. I find I can read the blog a bit better when I don’t have to scroll down so much. You’ve taken some of those with your phone??? They are beautiful and thank you for taking the time to comment — it means so much. Hope you’ll visit again soon and I plan to be exploring lots of blogs over the next several weeks. Be well and happy blogging!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:27 am
      • Hi Brigitte! Yes, I’ve so much to be grateful for – and I’m glad to have the opportunity to “give back” by working for Readathon too. Yes, I take a lot of photos with my phone (I’m lucky enough to have a nice smartphone that I wouldn’t be without now!) – I have broken two digital cameras in the last two years and am trying to get away without buying a new one! Good luck with your blogging – you clearly have fun with it, as I do!

        Posted by Debbie Young | May 21, 2012, 4:36 pm
  221. I 2 have found the blogging community to be one of the most welcoming and kind communities I have had the pleasure to be a part of. Wonderful post, I love the comment, a candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. It’s beautiful yet simple and profoundly true.

    Posted by colee112 | May 19, 2012, 3:54 am
    • Hi there! Another blogger/friend from beautiful Australia! Hope you get to tick off all those things on your bucket list! I think some of the most beautiful things are the simple ones. Thanks so much for your nice comments and hope you’ll stop by again. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:30 am
  222. Great advice. I’m just starting out in the online art world and I find a lot of successful artists don’t reply to comments or follow back a newcomer. But I really appreciate it when they do! And I think that way you’re more likely to recommend them to others, too.

    Posted by Natasha | May 19, 2012, 5:30 am
  223. Very cool of you to write an article that hopefully will help others including myself out – I am very new to the blogging community but so far the people have been very supportive of one another….thank you again for such a great article. I am saving it as a favorite as I know I will want to refer back to it.

    Posted by addictmystory | May 19, 2012, 5:44 am
  224. Congratulations on being ‘freshly pressed’! 🙂 Love the tips and the overall positive vibe of your blog. 🙂

    Posted by Ink and Papyrus | May 19, 2012, 6:28 am
    • Thank you very much — it took me by surprise. Good luck with your burgeoning novel — they are a daunting task, aren’t they? So glad you enjoyed the post and glad you understand and like the vibe. ;).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:34 am
  225. Thank you for sharing these tips!

    Congrats on the freshly pressed as well and I am impressed by how much dedication you are putting in! (looking at all those comments you responded 😐 it’s astounding!)

    I am trying to follow as many of these tips you mentioned as someone who only just started blogging regularly 😀 Wish me luck! 😉

    Posted by JPanda | May 19, 2012, 6:33 am
    • You’re most welcome and thank you for taking time to comment. Your blog’s pictures are beautiful and good luck to you on your blogging journey. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:35 am
      • Thank you! I didn’t expect you to come and visit my blog as well 😀

        Good luck with your blog as well. With a lot of useful tips on your blog, I was more than happy to subscribe to your blog. 🙂

        Posted by JPanda | May 19, 2012, 10:09 am
  226. It does seem to be half networking doesn’t it. Question, how far does just liking a page get you? Sometimes I’ve read the article and enjoyed it but don’t have anything productive to ad to the discussion.

    Posted by madmark42 | May 19, 2012, 6:42 am
    • I guess everything is about networking, especially the blogging community. Not sure about how far a like gets you, but it does at least let the writer know that someone out there liked and appreciated what they wrote, so I think that’s a good thing. ;).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:36 am
  227. I hesitate to add to 466 responses, but since you’ve so stated in your very kind and gracious way, I will. Found you in Freshly Pressed. Congrats! Enjoyed this very much. Look forward to exploring your posts, and following you. :>

    Posted by Wandering Voiceless | May 19, 2012, 7:10 am
  228. This is a fantastic topic! The beginnings of a book, perhaps? 🙂
    On rule of etiquette I try to keep to with replies to posts, is I *try* not to write a longer comment than the actual post. hahahah! It gets away on me sometimes… hahaa!
    A huge congrats for being Freshly Pressed!! 🙂 Looking forward to reading some of your other posts here too.
    Love from Rach. 🙂

    Posted by purpleowltree1234 | May 19, 2012, 8:23 am
    • Thank you and you know, it could very well turn in to that! Seems there are so many people that are lovin’ the topic of spreading the goodness and being kind which is nice and very encouraging! All comments are welcome — even the lengthy ones. Thanks so much for your nice comment, Rach. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 8:27 am
  229. I loved all the tips that you mentioned! 🙂 And yes, I agree with you on the comments and likes point. It gives me so much of happiness to see someone comment on a post, far more than what a simple ‘Like’ can give! 🙂 Which is exactly why I thought I should take the time to leave a comment here. Loved your post. Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed! 🙂

    Posted by Roshni | May 19, 2012, 8:25 am
  230. Congrats on being Fresh Pressed – and welcome to blogging! I’m only a little more experienced than you are (I have 6 months blogging (sounds like sobriety!)) – but it is helpful to be reminded about good manners! In fact, I think Word Press should provide your article to all new bloggers as required reading!

    Posted by Laura Lamere | May 19, 2012, 9:20 am
    • Hi Rocker Mom Laura! Love your blog, BTW — do your kids love the movie, Schoolhouse Rock? I do and so do my nieces and nephews. I introduced them to that movie and they’ve watched it over and over. I know what you mean about the blogging thing…going on four months now myself (Ha! that’s funny how you’ve described it. :).

      Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. Wow, a required reading? Now that WOULD be great. You’re so nice to say that and I so appreciate your taking the time out of what seems to be a hugely busy schedule to comment on my blog. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 9:40 am
      • LOL – I think you mean “School of Rock!” and yes, we all love that movie – and Jack Black! (School House Rock was on Saturday morning TV between cartoons…remember?)

        Posted by Laura Lamere | May 19, 2012, 9:44 am
      • Yes, yes!! School of Rock. duh. Yep, that’s the one I meant. See, you knew what I was talking about. I’ve got that movie. :).

        Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 9:49 am
  231. Thank you for your suggestions. I have been blogging about as long as you and am still trying to get in the swing of things. Still lots to learn! My hope is that my blog turns out to be as good as I have envisioned it in my head. Now, if I can just make the time. Great job at how far you’ve come in such little time btw 🙂 fyi: MWF Seeking BFF was one of the first blogs I read when I started blogging… good stuff.

    Posted by MandaMichelle | May 19, 2012, 9:49 am
    • Hi Darby, a fellow Southerner! I am too. :). Thanks so much for your nice comments and love the dress you’re making, BTW. ;).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 9:52 am
      • hmm…. I would love to be able to say I could make a dress. I think Darby is a cool name, but it is not mine. The southern part is definitely me though! 🙂

        Posted by MandaMichelle | May 19, 2012, 10:48 am
      • Ooops! So sorry, thought I’d clicked on your blog, but must have inadvertently been viewing another. My sincere apologies, but do see that you’re Southern so I’d least I got that one right! :).

        Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 10:51 am
      • Seriously, when I click on your mandamichelle above, it takes me to a site called Scarlett’s Drapes, sewing in the South…really!

        Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 10:58 am
  232. Reblogged this on Carr party of five and commented:
    I really loved this♥

    Posted by Carr Party of Five | May 19, 2012, 10:04 am
  233. Thank you. Those are suggestions that everyone (not just bloggers) should adhere to.

    Posted by Lillian E Waters | May 19, 2012, 10:39 am
  234. Congratulations on being FP’ed! It’s how I found you 😉
    I agree with all your points – and have a similar post in draft form! On being kind and constructive, I would add: make your comments useful! We all take pointers better if we can see how to put them into action! I take my inspiration for this from Toastmasters International and their Evaluation guidelines. Evaluation is my favourite part of a meeting!
    I hope I can make time to read more of your blog…power to you!

    Posted by English Rose-C | May 19, 2012, 10:43 am
  235. You said it! I love your post and it’s nice to see someone else feels the way I do. I’m looking forward to seeing more of your posts. And congrats on being Freshly Pressed.

    Posted by france59 | May 19, 2012, 11:37 am
  236. All very good points….I will see if your theories work. if not you owe me starbucks. 😉 Happy Blogging!

    Posted by bbwraven | May 19, 2012, 11:46 am
  237. Thank you for the tips! I’ll make sure to keep these in mind

    Posted by Mae Silver | May 19, 2012, 12:15 pm
  238. Oh gracious post, so inspiring and very helpful reminder for some good manners at the blogosphere. I’ll note all of these.Thanks for sharing! Keep the love and optimism.

    Posted by Ninay | May 19, 2012, 12:50 pm
  239. Hi there. Thanks for your very helpful blog. I have to admit that I’ve been sort of doing my own thing and not visiting many other blogs. You gave excellent tips.

    Posted by thehealthywarrior | May 19, 2012, 1:08 pm
  240. I fully agree with everything you said. 🙂 I especially agree with your views on replying to comments. And it makes the commenter feel like he/she is not being ignored. Having said that, I can appreciate some bloggers are constrained by time and replying to EVERY comment takes a while. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed.

    Posted by Cultural Life | May 19, 2012, 1:53 pm
    • This is the most I’ve ever responded to readers! It’s incredible and if one has time, I do think it’s a great idea. So glad you enjoyed the post and hope you found the tips helpful. Your comment is greatly appreciated! :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 2:45 pm
  241. Hi Brigitte,
    I would just like to say that I am so greatful that I stumbled on your blog this morning in Freshly Pressed. Personally am brand new to blogging (like only one post on my page and still trying to figure out the layout kind of new) and I am devoting my blog to bettering myself as a writer, so your post was incredibley helpful. I’m excited to be part of the blogging community, and getting some ground rules down has eased some of my nerves about posting my own writing. So thank you! 🙂

    Mary

    Posted by megilmo1 | May 19, 2012, 2:25 pm
    • You know it’s like anything else worth doing/having — you just have to go for it and hope along the way, you inspire someone. So nice of you to take the time to comment and I wish you the very best with your blog and your writing. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 2:47 pm
  242. How synchronous, I just published a new blog post and it’s a tribute to another blogger who has inspired me. Your post is doing the same, being gracious and having gratitude is important. I’ve only been blogging for a few months and find that it can be hard to get out there and see what’s available let alone what I have to contribute. Thank you for your wonderful post, I look forward to reading more. ~Kristy

    Posted by Kristy | May 19, 2012, 2:27 pm
    • Hi Kristy, what a wonderful thing to say — always nice to inspire someone and you’re very kind to say that. I hope you have fun blogging/writing and you find more and more blogs that inspire you. Thanks so much for your nice comments. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 2:49 pm
  243. “share the love please”, a wonderful emotion and sharing is the key. Great post.

    Posted by Molecules of Emotion | May 19, 2012, 3:10 pm
  244. some sound advice thank you

    Posted by envisioningutopia | May 19, 2012, 4:10 pm
  245. WOW! So many wonderful comments on your blog. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many. It took me almost 4 days to scroll down to the comment box.
    Great tips for WP users. I need to comment on my followers blogs more often. It was a target of mine for this year and future years.

    Posted by jamieonline | May 19, 2012, 4:59 pm
    • Ha! Yes, it took me by surprise as well, but it’s nice to know there’s so many like-minded people that believe the same way. Thanks for YOUR comment and hope you’ll drop by again. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 5:22 pm
  246. Sounds like good advice. I have to work on some of these.

    Posted by danielwalldammit | May 19, 2012, 5:01 pm
  247. Brigitte, Wonderful tips and sadly needed, We are often inadvertently rude and iy has often become the norw instead of the exception. Congratulations on being “Freshly Pressed”!

    Posted by JT | May 19, 2012, 5:11 pm
  248. Hey! I enjoyed your blog – and you’re 100% right! Not only for the reason that you rely on commenting and links between blogs to a certain extent to get your own blog off the ground, but also because being courteous and polite is a nice thing to do! I write because I enjoy writing, and enjoy knowing that people have appreciated my work. So getting nice comments is always welcome and encouraging for the writer, and if everyone did it we’d all feel ace all the time! Anyway, keep up the good work and well done for getting freshly pressed! Matty

    Posted by mattymillard | May 19, 2012, 5:56 pm
    • Hi Matty — thank you! So glad you enjoyed my post. Seriously, I had no intention of anything but writing about what I thought was “right.” It turned out to be a freshly-pressed blog for whatever reason. I think that’s what happens when one writes or does something for the sheer enjoyment with no expectations. I so appreciate your taking the time to comment and good luck with your blogging adventure! :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:42 pm
      • Thanks, and to you! And good luck managing to reply to all the extra comments you’re going to get after being FP’ed!! 🙂

        Posted by mattymillard | May 20, 2012, 5:50 am
  249. Great post Brigitte, it never hurts to send out reminders of expected cyberspace behavior. I always try to leave a comment on blogs I visit; especially, because I make it a point to read posts to the end. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed!

    Posted by Marcia Clarke | May 19, 2012, 6:16 pm
    • Hi Marcia, thank you. It’s strange that such a simple, common sense post has resonated with so many people. You sound as if you get it. Leave a comment and hopefully, someone will do the same for you. Thanks so much for your nice comment — it’s so appreciated! :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:47 pm
      • Hi Brigitte, you said what many of us think, that’s why it resonated. Each time I visit a blog I hope to find something that piques my interest: humor, photography, similar life experiences, etc., once that’s established the rest is easier. Nice to meet you!

        Posted by Marcia Clarke | May 19, 2012, 10:18 pm
  250. Congratulations on being freshly pressed… and for replying to all the comments! You are quite right about etiquette and being mindful of responses. I’ve only experienced positive support on my blog but I have seen some discourteous comments on others and it must be hurtful.

    Posted by PJ Girl | May 19, 2012, 6:23 pm
    • I think, for the most part, the blogs out there are filled with great people – from all walks of life. I’m like you, only positive support, but I think there’s a reason for that. Like attracts like. Thanks so much for your nice comment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 19, 2012, 7:49 pm
  251. Congrats on being “Freshly Pressed”! Your points were very well made. I try to reply to comments as often as I can, even if it’s just to say thank-you. I am really impressed that with so many comments here, you’ve replied to everyone! Thanks for sharing with us!

    Posted by Vicky Leung | May 19, 2012, 8:43 pm
  252. great advice; doesn’t it just amaze you that people should need to be reminded of common courtesy? there is so much meanness on the internet these days, probably because people can remain anonymous. I appreciate reading blogs, etc where people use decent language and share decent thoughts.

    Posted by just1pennymore | May 19, 2012, 9:36 pm
  253. Reblogged this on WordPress Report.

    Posted by wordpressreport | May 19, 2012, 11:15 pm
  254. Thank you so much for your advice. Although I’m writing in Spanish, I will follow your suggestions. God bless you 🙂

    Posted by Michael J. Cantero | May 20, 2012, 12:36 am
  255. I just started blogging in wordpress a few months ago, and the reason why I decided to blog is because I want my message to be heard across. But how am I suppose to do that if I have few followers? So thank you for this article Brigittebanter. Because of you, I’ll make sure that my goal of inspiring people to goodness, and hopefully greatness, will be accomplished.

    Posted by Nurse Anj | May 20, 2012, 1:14 am
  256. Brigitte, I’m so guilty of the same ‘like-liking’ and not ‘comments’ each time I visit a blog …will do better. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed!

    Posted by WASIA J&L Simon | May 20, 2012, 1:17 am
  257. Thank you very much for sharing this. I was so motivated to make my first poem (You can take a read if you want to.) Thank you very very much! I can’t thank you enough!

    Posted by SmilingCat01 | May 20, 2012, 1:26 am
  258. What a fantastic article. Great way to spread some love around!

    Posted by alexbraum | May 20, 2012, 2:29 am
  259. This is worth the read, specially for new bloggers and a reminder for the others. Inspiring! 🙂

    Posted by Ann | May 20, 2012, 3:53 am
  260. Well said! Thank you for the tips. I, too , try to comment and love it when a conversation starts. Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed! Some honour, that! 🙂

    Posted by mybeautfulthings | May 20, 2012, 4:31 am
  261. Great post and congratulations on being freshly pressed.

    Posted by Lisa at fLVE | May 20, 2012, 4:37 am
  262. Great advice 😀 I agree that there are so many awesome people out there in the blogosphere that we need to show our support. So far I’ve found the blogging community a really great, supportive place with, at times, better etiquette then the real world!!

    Posted by Crazy Cat Girl | May 20, 2012, 4:54 am
  263. And I’d just like to add your 575th comment – this is some sort of blogathon! I’m new to the blogging world too, but read all your comments nodding my head in agreement. You’re spot on about manners and etiquette. Nice post 🙂

    Posted by Tiller's Tale | May 20, 2012, 5:37 am
  264. Thanks for the great introduction into blogging. Just got started and am still sorting through the tricks of the trade.

    Posted by Martine | May 20, 2012, 7:19 am
  265. Thank You Bridget for this post. This is my first day with WordPress.com and this is my very first comment. Thanks to you I’ve learned some new ways to build my ability to communicate with others. Thank you so much for these 5 tips. I Promise you with all my heart that I will apply these into my life

    Keith Weaver

    Posted by keithleslieweaver | May 20, 2012, 8:03 am
  266. Well said, and congrats on being FPed!

    Posted by Anita Neuman | May 20, 2012, 8:50 am
  267. ‘“Likes” are great, but if possible leave a comment and a “Like,” why not? ‘– i like this one, sometimes it’s easier just to give an online nod, but while that is just reinforcement, a comment is the one that could add richness to the tapestry. thanks for framing these tips in such a human way 🙂

    Posted by lampoondish | May 20, 2012, 9:57 am
  268. Dear Blogger,

    Thanks a lot for sharing these wonderful tips….

    And I loved the quote you quoted…
    “A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. — Erin Majors”

    One important step to increase our blog viewership….which probably most of us knows also…Pviewsut relevant “TAGS” with respect to your blog topic and content….os that people serching fr tat topic may hit urs blog also in the search list…

    ANd I hv one query too….- I have never seen my post on “FRESHLY PRESSED” Page….Is it fr paid members or something like tat…

    On my blog 99% of viewers are my own frend circle…..Bt my idea of writing my views here was to spread and discuss my ideas around the globe….to get views of people across other nations….Can u help me on tat…??

    Thanks again….

    Posted by erakanksha | May 20, 2012, 10:04 am
    • Hi, you’re very welcome and I love that quote as well. As far as Freshly-Pressed, that’s up to the WordPress geniuses and happiness engineers. Not sure how they pick those blogs but it’s not a paid thing, just a lucky thing for me. Keep blogging, be yourself and visit other like-minded bloggers so that you’ll build your readership. Good luck and thanks for the nice comment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 20, 2012, 10:38 am
  269. Congratulations on being freshly pressed! Only four months into the blog scene…and here you are! Excellent post! I have been adhering to the same practices…it is, after all, those best practices that help us all! Thanks for sharing your tips for success! Best wishes for continued success!

    Posted by Victoria | May 20, 2012, 10:45 am
  270. Some really great blogging info. There are many creative people out there who do not receive the recognition they so well deserve for their efforts. I’ve faithfully given a “like” to those who really have a put a lot of effort into their blogs, as well as leaving a comment. The greatest thing about writing a blog is that you do not need anyone’s approval to freely express your opinions or to follow whatever creative juices may be within you. For many years, as a former radio broadcaster, I was always under fire for my cutting edge humor because I personally knew what I did was funny, but the egomaniacs in charge would often censor me for obvious reasons. Their own egos. As I said, now I write with a sense of freedom, and humor, and with great satisfaction knowing that I, along with many other bloggers have the freedom to express our thoughts without restrictions or…. the almighty censor.

    Posted by misfit120 | May 20, 2012, 11:28 am
    • Hey I appreciate that. Blogs are a great way to express oneself and when people read and take the time to comment, it makes a difference. All of us have egos I suppose and I know what you’re referring to as far as egomaniacs — I think we all have had that experience (working with people ruled by their egos) at some point in our lives. I’m amazed at the conversation this blog has sparked and it’s a nice boost to my ego. But I also know, most wouldn’t have found the post if it hadn’t been Freshly-Pressed, so it’a all about balance, right? Thanks so much for your nice comment and for taking the time to do so. Here’s to writing with creative expression! 🙂

      Posted by Brigitte | May 20, 2012, 12:02 pm
  271. Why should I be nice when commenting?
    If everyone is nice to everyone, we’ll never have discussions, ergo no progress.

    Posted by Andreas Moser | May 20, 2012, 11:46 am
    • I’m certainly not saying one has to agree with everything and people can discuss issues without mean-spiritied comments or being rude. Really, it can be that way and progress can happen if people are at least courteous to one another. But that’s just my theory and everyone is entitled to their own. Thanks so much for your comment and the very best to you! :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 20, 2012, 11:55 am
  272. You’re quite right – leave comments, like the pages and follow like-minded bloggers. I’m hopefully linking into a great writing community.

    Posted by WomanBitesDog | May 20, 2012, 12:47 pm
    • Hi and thanks so much for stopping by. It takes patience, time and devotion but I think eventually, the people that like what you do and vice versa find one another, know what I mean? Love the title of your blog Thanks for taking the time to comment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 20, 2012, 1:06 pm
  273. I discovered this delightful blog when it was featured on WordPress, and was immediately taken with it. I appreciate the thoughtful advice on blogging…Many thanks!

    Posted by Randall Brink | May 20, 2012, 12:55 pm
    • Hi Randall, so glad you did discover it and wow, delightful blog — that’s a huge compliment — thank you so much. You’re very welcome for the advice and thank you for your kind comments. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 20, 2012, 1:08 pm
  274. just love how nice you are and I like the idea of leaving a comment.Miss manners would be proud.

    Posted by lexiesnana | May 20, 2012, 1:59 pm
  275. We so agree with everything here! This is a genius, true post that every blogger (some more than others) should follow. Great job & congtats on being Freshly Pressed.
    2chicgurls
    2chicgurls.com
    P.S- We liked, commented, and followed 😉

    Posted by 2chicgurls | May 20, 2012, 2:05 pm
  276. Thanks for your post. I agree with everything you said, and am frankly, glad that someone has outlined some rules to being a good blogger. I usually leave a comment to all the blogs I visit because I am usually so busy that when I actually have time to read a blog, I also have time to comment:)

    Again, thanks for the inspiring post. I am also new to WordPress and wish many bloggers extended this courtesy.

    Posted by aprincessespavane | May 20, 2012, 2:32 pm
  277. Congratulations making freshly pressed! Love all tips hope people read them and learn from your wise advise to be nice and help others.

    Posted by Donkey Whisperer Farm | May 20, 2012, 2:57 pm
  278. Good blogging tips. I’m going to break a commandment of my own (should have been Number 11 in this post), “Do not shamelessly promote your own blogpost in comments to others. If they want to check you out they will click on joeblowsblogatwordpressdotcom; you don’t need to beat them over the head to get them there”:
    http://trailertrashdeluxe.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/rules-for-blogging/
    I’m going to follow what should have been my Number 12, though: “Do NOT click ‘Notify me of follow-up comments via email’ when commenting on good freshpressed blogposts unless you want dozens or even hundreds of emails about it in your in-basket. Instead save the post in favorites for at least awhile to see if the person has kindly replied to you or if someone has posted an especially interesting comment about it.”
    Have a nice day.

    Posted by trailertrashdeluxe | May 20, 2012, 3:32 pm
  279. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and insight. I am new to blogging and appreciate what you shared very much.

    Posted by trust828 | May 20, 2012, 3:43 pm
  280. A fellow blogger and a good friend sent me the link for this post today, and I’m very grateful he did! I agree with all your points of view, and loved to see them so gracefully summarized.
    Thank you! 🙂

    Posted by Filipa | May 20, 2012, 4:13 pm
  281. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed. I’ve been blogging on and off for about 12 years now, and even with many years of exposure to the blogging community under my belt, your five tips are great ways to show common courtesy when blogging. As your readership grows, sometimes it gets more difficult to find the time to respond to every comment, but that is one of the things I’ve tried to keep consistent throughout my blogging years.

    Another tip: Comment on other’s blogs much more than you write on your own. I’ve recently had serious computer issues (dead computer for almost two weeks), but prior to that, I tried to keep at least a 10 to 1 ratio going all the time. For every new post I would publish, I would make it a point to have commented on at least 10 people’s blogs, which sometimes means that one day I would read other blogs and comment, and one day I would write a post. Maybe even sometimes two or three days of reading other blogs and commenting, to my one day of writing a post. Not only did I get to read some awesome blogs, but invariably it would inspire me to write about something fresh and new, and yes, I always make a point to give credit where credit is due. Not only is it polite, it’s just the right thing to do. Again, congrats on being Freshly Pressed. That kind of lightning doesn’t strike often, so good for you that you caught their attention after only blogging for four months. That tells me that I probably need to read more of your posts, which is why I’m now Following. Congrats!

    Posted by ntexas99 | May 20, 2012, 4:39 pm
    • Thank you for your great comments and helpful tips. It is indeed a lightening bolt!! Not sure if there’s a tried and true logic to blogging but I do think one should do it because they love it and do it for themselves. I think when you do that, success follows. Thanks and I’m glad you decided to follow and hope you’ll find past and future posts entertaining. So appreciate your kind comments. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 20, 2012, 6:22 pm
  282. Don’t want to seem “negative” here. Good observations as far as they go, but see my own recent post about how people seem to be using “blog” for “post”:
    http://kitchenmudge.wordpress.com/2012/03/08/the-grey-speaker-strikes-again/

    Posted by kitchenmudge | May 20, 2012, 4:45 pm
  283. Congrats on Freshly Pressed! You have nailed it on the head and learned it in such a short time! Good for you! It is funny to me how this blogging thing works sometimes. The posts that I pour my heart into and think are my best writing get few comments while the silly ones about the perfect banana or how to get a monkey to pass an undigested peanut get tons! But all in all I have found great bloggy friends and get a lot of satisfaction from all of it!!! Good luck and happy I clicked to read more today!

    Posted by Beth Ann | May 20, 2012, 4:47 pm
    • Know exactly what you mean. I seriously think the Freshly-Pressed thing has much, much to do with it. I’m glad you clicked more to read as well and hope you’ll be back soon. Thanks for your nice comment, Beth Ann. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 20, 2012, 6:17 pm
  284. I agree with your sentiments. I feel the same way about responding to those who leave comments. Sometimes I’m not as timely as I could be, but I still like to respond. They’ve acknowledged me and I’d like to do the same.

    Posted by Snicker's Mom | May 20, 2012, 5:06 pm
  285. Liked AND commented. It’s so succint and perfect! Congrats on being freshly pressed.

    Posted by jaymers | May 20, 2012, 5:25 pm
  286. Wonderful article. It’s truly sad that in our age of electronic wonders and instantaneous transmission of data, we seem to be forgetting how to truly communicate with one another, and that “common courtesy” is in fact, becoming less common. Thank you for the reminder.

    Posted by theurbanecowgirl | May 20, 2012, 5:38 pm
  287. You created a post which concerns us all, gave us fresh opinion and advice, and then fielded more than 630 comments, and still counting. A true success story. But please take some well-earned time off and don’t feel you have to answer this comment. I’m still catching up on the 600+. You have real stamina.

    Posted by whitt88 | May 20, 2012, 6:40 pm
    • I know, it is astounding the response! Thanks so much for taking the time to be yet another kind blogger to do the same. Loved your whale pics on your website — magnificent! Thanks again. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 21, 2012, 8:44 am
  288. Just hit it right. I love this article. Great job! 🙂

    Posted by louiseinbiz | May 20, 2012, 6:48 pm
  289. Excellent advice for all newbies! Thanks for sharing your tips with us!

    Posted by Silverfox | May 20, 2012, 6:51 pm
  290. yeah! i could agree with you more. on spreading the love. it is always great to know that someone is out there.

    Posted by D | May 20, 2012, 7:06 pm
  291. I as well liked AND will comment. I am new to blogging. I started last week and have really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, no one is “Liking” or leaving comments so I am not sure if it is due to the content or a lack of the graciousness you discuss above. Either way, I am enjoying this outlet from everyday life so I will keep chugging forward. Your post deserves to be “Freshly Pressed”!

    Posted by Tania Hotmer | May 20, 2012, 8:34 pm
    • Thanks so much, Tania. Welcome to blogging and you’ve just begun, so be patience with yourself and your talents. As you said so eloquently, “Sharing Stories to Grow Others.” Nice and thank you for the nice comment.:).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 21, 2012, 8:52 am
  292. As a newbie to the blogging community this was really timely thanks Brigitte. At the end of the day I think it’s all about having an authentic voice and authentic relationships with the people you interact with through your blog. I too appreciate people ‘liking’ my posts but the greatest compliment is when your post inspires a comment or even better, when people choose to follow you. That makes me feel like my posts are worthy of their time and in a busy world that’s very special. Having said that I won’t follow people just because they follow me. Their interests are often so different from mine. But I will certainly do them the courtesy of taking a look. 🙂

    Posted by Margaret Hogan | May 20, 2012, 9:14 pm
    • I’m a newbie myself, Margaret and you are correct. One can’t possibly follow everyone that follows them (I’m learning that very quickly!), but taking a look to see if something suits you or resonates you, when time allows, is great if time allows. You’ve made such a great point and I so appreciate it. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 21, 2012, 8:54 am
  293. haha well now at first I was daunted by the amount of words but then once I started reading the first sentence I really got into it. This has actually helped alot and i’ll keep this in mind when using wordpress and other such mediums. Thankyou for this blog 😀 and im amazed you have enough time to comment back too everyone haha thats quite alot of detication there 🙂 goodjob

    Posted by etienettejerome | May 20, 2012, 9:33 pm
  294. I was just going to say ‘common courtesy costs nothing and means an awful lot’ Enjoyed the read, wonderful to see generousity of spirit here. I too am new here. I am learning. Although yes on facebook, I have to sday I do not like the ‘like’ facility too much. But then I really only used FB to keep up with what my grandkids look like miles away…..
    This site is way more, dare I say, mature and meaningful. With all good wishes

    Posted by love1salluneed | May 20, 2012, 9:44 pm
  295. Good reading. Please keep writing and enriching.

    Posted by Dr. Afaq Ahmad Qureshi | May 21, 2012, 12:23 am
  296. Good one mate ! I’m sure this post will make quite a few bloggers benevolent !

    Posted by anandkumarrs | May 21, 2012, 2:24 am
  297. Great words for us all. I’m working on this idea of helping people recover their personal narratives, and I’m always looking for places to start–maybe with the recovery of common courtesy?

    Posted by nrcraddock | May 21, 2012, 2:26 am
  298. Very nice tips!

    Posted by Samir | May 21, 2012, 3:38 am
  299. Some good advise. Congrats on being Freshly Pressed.

    Posted by Connie T | May 21, 2012, 3:46 am
  300. Such a lovely blog post ^^ I’ll definitely be trying to stick to the suggestions (after all they just plain make sense!) Thank you for sharing!

    Posted by Arsonette Artworks | May 21, 2012, 4:00 am
  301. Great!!!!I have started blogging past 1 week and I found these tips really worthy…Thanks 4 this awesome post

    Posted by Genesis | May 21, 2012, 4:41 am
  302. Great tips, thank you. Helpful for a new blogger like me to ready simple and quick blog etiquette as we are starting to explore and find people and things to follow – and hopefully gain a few readers as well.

    Posted by Ashley Chase | May 21, 2012, 4:41 am
  303. Thanks for this, I’m here only a couple of days so you are. Senior to me, will follow your advice as much as possible. Any tips are always welcome:)

    Posted by Sasha Ashikhmina | May 21, 2012, 4:55 am
  304. I am utterly impressed that you managed to reply to every single comment here! A gracious blogger indeed! You’re setting a very fine example for other humble bloggers like myself to follow. Congrats on the Freshly Pressed, you deserve it. 🙂

    Posted by lillianccc | May 21, 2012, 4:58 am
  305. Thank you. This is useful.

    Posted by chuotsoc | May 21, 2012, 5:09 am
  306. Thank you … and yes I read the full page! Well done and thanks for the reminders, so gently written.

    Posted by holistic complications | May 21, 2012, 5:30 am
  307. Thank you for the inspiration

    Posted by Mr.Tod A.Parker | May 21, 2012, 6:31 am
  308. Well that certainly got you a few comments! ha! I completely agree with you! Well done for saying it! 🙂

    Posted by callmeabs85 | May 21, 2012, 7:13 am
  309. Likes and comments really are the measure of what we think of as ‘successful’ posts. Isn’t it odd how some posts get more attention than others? There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason which is one of the many reasons I love blogging. Thanks for ‘the rules’ again. There are some great suggestions throughout the comments.
    Congratulations on Freshly Pressed!

    Posted by Spoon Feast | May 21, 2012, 7:17 am
  310. I found so much of interest having started to blog and read other people’s – everyone is up to all sorts! Here’s a beautiful blog – (it’s not mine) at http://www.sarahcampbelldesigns.com. Those are very good tips to abide by.

    Posted by findyourdreamjob | May 21, 2012, 7:57 am
  311. Well said! These are points that many of us forget. Nice that you expressed it briefly and glad that this one got FPd.

    Posted by Bindu | May 21, 2012, 8:42 am
  312. We’ve only just started blogging, so when I saw the title, I thought to myself “Hmm, this should be helpful” – and it really was! But, I didn’t expect it to be so sweet! You have a lovely writing style, and this post made me smile… Thanks for giving us all your tips – newbies like us really need them 😀 ❤

    ~Kein

    Posted by keinandapril | May 21, 2012, 8:52 am
    • Hi Kein and April — thank you. So glad you took the time to read and glad you got something from it. So appreciate the sweet compliment about my writing and if it made you smile, even better. Good luck to you both and much success with your new blogging adventure! :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 21, 2012, 9:15 am
      • It took me a bit to find this, since I still haven’t figured out all the ins and outs of wordpress, but thank you! We’ll be keeping an eye on you, since your work is like a ray of sunshine and we have much to learn 😀
        ~Kein

        Posted by keinandapril | May 30, 2012, 7:21 am
  313. Thanks for the tips! I am new in blogging and I appreciate bloggers helping out.

    Posted by Rule-Bender, Bea | May 21, 2012, 9:45 am
  314. How lovely of you to give new bloggers tips. I’ve just started posting some articles, and found some great advice in yours 🙂

    Posted by Amanda Fried | May 21, 2012, 10:02 am
  315. When I started blogging a few Months ago, I didn’t realize I was embarking on a trek with an entire community. I now know that I’m not alone, and I consider this particular blog to be community service. Thank you.

    Posted by realcarpentier | May 21, 2012, 10:04 am
  316. Great Post! I too have been blogging for 4 months. Love doing it even if I dont get a ton of readers :o)

    Posted by Sarah @ DailyBottle.com | May 21, 2012, 10:07 am
  317. I really enjoyed reading your post :). I only started to blog in December on wordpress and sometimes it can get discouraging when you don’t seem to have any conversations with other bloggers, but reading this article helped to see everything in perspective. And I have to agree with Kein and April this article did make me smile and I’m going to share it on my blog, so new and old bloggers can also see it and gain valuable advice!

    Have a nice day Brigitte!
    Savindi

    Posted by ForTheLoveOfBooks | May 21, 2012, 10:07 am
  318. Hi Brigitte,
    Lovely post with some really good observations! I read it a couple of days ago but wanted to come back and leave you some words to say you inspired me to think of my blog as part of a community, rather than just an isolated place where I post my thoughts and images etc. I do make an effort to reply to all comments (I don’t get that many!) but I should also be more proactive about commenting/liking. Sometimes I get a bit shy when I really like someone’s work, and worry that I might come across a bit weird/stalkery… But I suppose the flipside to that is that I have never had a (friendly) comment I didn’t appreciate. Anyway, congrats on being Freshly Pressed after just 4 months and much more happy blogging to you in future! Towera

    Posted by towera | May 21, 2012, 10:16 am
  319. Thanks for this blog. This is the first comment I’ve left but felt inspired to do so. I’m new to blogging too. I’m a busy retired person and cannot blog every day but enjoy it when I can. This makes an encouraging read, especially for newcomers to the art.

    Posted by wordwaysnet | May 21, 2012, 10:17 am
  320. Reblogged this on 8BIT.

    Posted by John Saddington | May 21, 2012, 10:22 am
  321. Thank you Brigitte for this post. I was too inspired to write a comment and couldn’t agree more.
    Keep up the wonderful words of wisdom.

    Posted by dirtyblagger | May 21, 2012, 11:35 am
  322. As a new blogger, this was great. Basically, the Golden Rule is a good thing. Bit of a problem for me, however, with the “if they follow me, I follow them” thing. Many bloggers are so prolific, I would be sorting through an endless supply everyday. I just do like I did here, and selectively am notified when a specific post gets another comment (ie, one I am particularly interested in). Then when I go back and check that comment, I quickly cruise the site for new posts that might interest me. Just the way I do it for now. Thanks for a fine and spot on summation.

    Posted by John Paul McNeil | May 21, 2012, 12:18 pm
    • It is and just simple stuff — glad so many people could relate. I totally get one can’t possibly follow every blog that may be following them, but this was written when a was a real newbie at blogging; I’m beginning to grasp the enormity of that. Thanks for your nice comment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 21, 2012, 3:07 pm
  323. What a great post! I don’t have much time to either write my own blog or read others, but I do my best to comment where I feel I can contribute in a constructive manner. Negative blogging is neither big nor clever and will just get deleted by the owner of the blog, usually in quick time! Being positive is by far the better option and it’s great to see so many other people agreeing with you.

    I know what you mean about getting more followers being difficult – I now have 43 followers of my little blog and I’ve no idea where I got most of them from, so it’s always gratifying when I do get a comment on a post I’ve made.

    Posted by David | May 21, 2012, 3:47 pm
  324. Very well said. And congratulations on being Freshly Pressed. Now you have to respond back to all of us, haha. Just kidding. Great post.

    Posted by SzaboInSlowMo | May 22, 2012, 12:01 am
    • Thanks and your blog is so cool. Love “desperately seeking humor.” Aren’t we all? Thanks so much for your comment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 22, 2012, 7:51 am
      • I give you props! The traffic that being Freshly Pressed brings makes it really hard to keep it personal with readers, at least for a while. You’re better than I am, haha. And I do like your blog!

        Posted by SzaboInSlowMo | May 22, 2012, 7:41 pm
  325. Thank you! It really helps!

    Posted by fadhlanmahbob | May 22, 2012, 1:21 am
  326. What a lovely blog you have Brigitte. I love your use of quotes – I’m afraid my writing skills terminated at GCSE English for I chose to enter the world of science thereafter! Plus amen to your take on “manners” – it costs nothing to be nice and it touches someone’s heart to do so. My blog is still wee but I’ve just totally redesigned it and now am happy with it as a representation of “me”. So off I go to hunt down fellow like minded bloggers blogs and comment (nicely, of course!) 😉

    Posted by Jo Blogs | May 22, 2012, 1:25 am
  327. Could’nt agree more, (see, like and positive comment :D)

    Posted by Mohammad Ali Bandial | May 22, 2012, 2:28 am
    • Hi and thank you. Love, love, love your post on Baz Luhrmann‘s ‘Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen). GREAT! And thank you. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | May 22, 2012, 7:46 am
      • 😀 thanks! its one of the surest pick me ups for me whenever things arent exactly going according to plan:P

        Posted by Mohammad Ali Bandial | May 22, 2012, 2:03 pm
  328. “Find otherr blogs that you like and comment”. Еhis is exactly what I were advised to do if I wanted to be a good blogger and that is how I found your blog. It has inspired me to leave my first comment! 🙂

    Posted by vlaaady | May 22, 2012, 10:46 am
  329. Brigitte!!!! I’m all flushed, my heart is racing, and I don’t know what stone I was under but I have crawled out and here you are, all freshly pressed and shiney and new…waow… with a huge trail behind you…I knew they would find you sooner or later but I found you first and I freshly pressed you ages ago when I first checked follow…I knew I was on to a good thing! I just love your style, your thoughts, your wit and words not to mention this whole professional thing going on. I am so delighted for you. I know you know about my love/hate relationship with technology but you are one of the reasons why I love my computer…You’re in it! Big hug. So delighted they picked you. Keep rockin’ Aox

    Posted by ailialana | May 22, 2012, 1:21 pm
    • Aileen, I’m overwhelmed by your sweet, sweet sentiments. I’m glad I found you as well. I am delighted for you as well. I do have “professional” thing going on but, as you probably know the freelancing thing can be booming or be just trickling along…right now, I’m in that trickling phase so I’ve more time to devote to this little blog that I hesitated to ever start in the first place. So glad I did. You are on my blogroll, lady — many people need to find your wisdom as well. And they will. Thanks, friend and you keep rocking too. :). xxoo

      Posted by Brigitte | May 22, 2012, 1:34 pm
      • I had a real ‘blue’ day on Monday and hadn’t been online over the weekend. Long story..bit of exhaustion I think so just needed to rest. My energy levels are better today and I genuinely had palpatations when I read you were freshly pressed. Couldn’t happen to a nicer lady. I think all writers struggle with the trickling thing and it also can be very isolating so it is really nice to turn on the PC and know you are in the company of friends. You are so kind to give my blog a shout. I am still learning but the bottom line is to inspire others to live authentic lives…what I strive to do myself…even though like Monday I can fail miserably at times…but blogs like yours help me to get up and dust myself down and rock on lolll 🙂

        Posted by ailialana | May 22, 2012, 1:50 pm
  330. Oh…I also wanted to say great post and thank you for adding me to your blog roll. This post is full of great tips, most of which I do and I love the connections with other bloggers because I don’t feel like I am talking to myself, not that there is anything wrong with that,(is there? I do it all the time :)) but it is a wonderful feeling to know my words touched someone on their journey. Now, I must learn to create a blog roll! Thank you Brigette for sharing your thoughts and words and encouraging others to make the blogging world a really nice place to be. Aox

    Posted by ailialana | May 22, 2012, 1:33 pm
    • Thank you! We must be crossing in cyperspace. You’re awesome. Go to your dashboard and find your “links” box and drag it on over and then put those blogs up. It’s time-consuming, but worth it. Be well, friend. xx

      Posted by Brigitte | May 22, 2012, 1:36 pm
      • Thanks so much Brigitte. That’s what I love.’ How too’s’ in plain English! I will sort this soon Aox

        Posted by ailialana | May 22, 2012, 3:25 pm
      • Thanks so much Brigitte. That’s what I love.’How to’s’ in plain English! I will sort this soon Aox

        Posted by ailialana | May 22, 2012, 3:25 pm
  331. Just starting out…enjoyed your post.

    Posted by upclosetoronto | May 22, 2012, 11:24 pm
  332. Like, like, like, and like some more. In the blogosphere I often feel like I’m shouting into an abyss… it’s so nice to see a word or two from someone who actually read your post!

    Posted by lytlejoc | May 23, 2012, 1:17 am
  333. This is great! I needed it! I try my best to keep in touch with everyone who’s is commenting on my posts. I’ve also realised that during days when I don’t visit other blogs, I have a very, but very small amount of views, unlike days (like this) when I just spend time reading stuff.

    Posted by LexoKat | May 23, 2012, 5:27 am
  334. Reblogged this on Lex'sThoughts and commented:
    We all need to pay attention to this! 🙂

    Posted by LexoKat | May 23, 2012, 5:29 am
  335. Just the type of blog I needed to read this morning. Thanks for sharing!

    Posted by Martine | May 23, 2012, 10:00 am
  336. Great advice! 🙂

    Posted by Krystiana Stacy Kelly | May 23, 2012, 10:57 am
  337. Great advice, you must be a very nice person! Thank you for sharing,
    Artphalt (http://artphalt.wordpress.com)

    Posted by C.D. | May 23, 2012, 11:19 am
  338. This is nice! This would be very helpful for me since I just recently started updating my blog again. Btw, this is also the first time I commented on a blog post. I like reading a lot of blogs and got interested with their posts but never clicked that “like” button or put a comment. Haha. Thanks to your advice!

    Posted by viasioson | May 27, 2012, 3:25 am
  339. thanks for this post! I am pretty new to blogging so it’s good to get some advice as I start out

    Posted by somegirlfromboston | May 28, 2012, 1:44 am
  340. Congrats on the “Freshly Pressed” after four months of blogging you say?! Good job!

    Posted by Justin | May 28, 2012, 6:58 pm
  341. Thank you fOr the tips!! I’m just starting blogging, still very unsure of this. Lol

    Posted by mumblesnjumblesofacrazymom | May 28, 2012, 7:53 pm
  342. I see what you did there, and I like it! Thanks, B!

    Posted by mabukach | May 30, 2012, 12:00 pm
  343. Well said and great suggestions. Thank you!
    Carol

    Posted by Carol Leynse Harpold, MS, AdEd, OTR/L, ATP | June 1, 2012, 7:54 pm
  344. Noob here. Thanks for the pointers!

    Posted by Recovered Baptist | June 1, 2012, 11:13 pm
  345. Great post and advice! Keep up the good work!

    Posted by The Quiet Borderline | June 2, 2012, 6:23 am
  346. Thanks for the tips. I’m new to blogging (still haven’t taken the leap to public blogging — scared of the security issues as I have small children) but I love to read others’ blogs and I appreciate the thoughts about courtesy. It’s always good to be nice and courteous no matter your viewpoint.

    Posted by Sydney | June 2, 2012, 11:04 am
  347. 4 months and 795 comments? Girl, you are doing something right. Congrats!

    As always words of wisdom. I will try to put them to good use.

    Posted by reptilesintheicecream | July 24, 2012, 11:05 pm
  348. I absolutely adore this! You are so right about all of your rules. I’ve found that the blogosphere is a pretty friendly place, and it’s because the people I’ve met pretty much follow this list to the letter.

    I’m sharing this tomorrow on my fan page!

    Posted by Jen and Tonic | October 16, 2012, 1:04 am
    • Hi Jen, why thank you! This was my first FP’d post and I think you are correct — the blogosphere is very friendly (that’s been my experience) with talented and thoughtful people in it — you included! So appreciate your sharing this on your fan page — I’m honored. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | October 16, 2012, 10:25 am
    • Sometimes (okay, all of the time) the simplest lessons are the hardest to learn. Thank you Brigitte (and thank you Jen) for sharing what we all should know… by making us feel like it was okay if we didn’t… till now.

      Posted by Bill Friday | October 16, 2012, 4:25 pm
      • Hi Bill — thank you for your kind comment and Jen is great for promoting this post on her fan page. She’s good people so you must be as well — many thanks and I hope you’ll visit again.

        Posted by Brigitte | October 16, 2012, 5:02 pm
  349. How thrilling to come across a link to this post from reading something that was freshly pressed (http://somethingfathappened.wordpress.com/2012/10/15/bloggomunications/) – you’re EVERYWHERE Brigitte!! And then see the next post is linked to Le Clown from “Someone Fat Happened”

    Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | October 16, 2012, 4:18 pm
    • Ruta, thank you my friend — so glad we found one another and glad you enjoyed the post — I was only a baby blogger back then but was thrilled when this was the post that was selected for the WP honor. Thanks again for stopping by and reading!! Jen is so nice to post this on her fan page and she’s hilarious.

      Posted by Brigitte | October 16, 2012, 5:01 pm
  350. I believe I first found your blog after you were Freshly Pressed. I began “following” upon my first visit. I feel very uplifted and inspired by every post. Thank you!

    Posted by notedinnashville | October 16, 2012, 8:38 pm
  351. Your suggestions are dead-on. Isn’t that how we should treat others every day? You have outlined blog courtesy so well. Great post .

    Posted by Overwhelmed By Joy | October 16, 2012, 9:39 pm
  352. WOW. “Share what you know; you never know when you may need a little help to inspire you.” “A candle loses nothing by lightning…” Thanks for some wonderful thoughts.

    Posted by G | October 16, 2012, 11:23 pm
  353. Hi, Brigitte, just from the “Someone Fat Happened” and came here. found that you are Freshly Pressed too 😀
    I’m a new blogger and thank you for your sharing 🙂

    Posted by sheedon | October 17, 2012, 2:47 am
  354. Thank you for your tips. I started my blog just a few months ago kind of by accident, and have enjoyed writing enormously since then (albeit with a very limited readership!). But I have only recently discovered the world of amazing blogs (and bloggers) here on WordPress and am having such fun stumbling upon my favourites. I think it’s great that you spent the time to provide these tips to others, and I want to congratulate you on your 573 followers. Wow. I look forward to reading more of your work…

    Posted by charlotterose | October 17, 2012, 6:31 am
  355. I was browsing Freshly Pressed and came upon the blog Something Fat Happened which mentioned this post on blogging etiquette. As a very new blogger with a virtually non-existent following, this was encouraging to me. Thank you for sharing!

    Posted by janacrouch | October 17, 2012, 10:07 am
    • Jana, thank you! I was a very new blogger myself and that post you read happened four months (became freshly pressed) after four months of blogging, so please keep doing what you do and the followers will come. Word Press is a very warm community with many kind people. Thank YOU for stopping by and leaving me such a sweet comment.

      Posted by Brigitte | October 17, 2012, 10:10 am
  356. Thank you for sharing your tips and learnings with us! 😀 I try to comment if possible but am guilty of just liking posts and I always believe that comments should be nice in content, supportive and not negative or derogatory! 😀 xx

    Posted by artreviewed | October 17, 2012, 6:22 pm
  357. Thanks for the great tips! Some of these I have been doing, others not so much. :/ My blog is also about 4/5 months old, so I think these will help me out a lot! Best, S. L.

    Posted by S. L. | October 18, 2012, 2:40 pm
  358. Thank you for this blog 🙂 It’s really useful for a newcomer like myself. Having done a few things in the YouTube world, I find the WordPress community to be a very friendly and constructive one. Your third point doesn’t really work in the youtube world, though. I tried responding to everyone who commented on one of my videos, even the bad ones, and it just made the “trolls” more vitriolic. So, I only respond to the nice ones, or the ones who’ve taken the time to make a constructive criticism. But, like I said, I found the WordPress world to be such a friendly, supportive world. It’s one of the things that keeps me coming back to post my little blogs. Best 🙂

    Posted by Hamish Downie | October 20, 2012, 3:35 am
    • I’ve heard this about the YouTube thing so I’ve never been in that community. I think you’ll find that most people, at least that’s been my experience, so far are very nice people. As far as very negative comments, I don’t think there’s any point to giving responses to that. But that’s just my humble opinion. Thank you for your nice comment!

      Posted by Brigitte | October 20, 2012, 9:22 am
      • Thanks for responding to me 🙂

        I think the thing about youtube is the mindset of the people when they visit it. This is just an observation of me and my friends, but I’ve noticed that many people seem to go to youtube straight after work, they’re tired and grumpy, and usually have had a bad day. I think that’s where all the vitriol you get on youtube stems from.

        Posted by Hamish Downie | October 20, 2012, 7:29 pm
  359. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle

    What a beautiful sentiment!

    Posted by thedottydentist | October 23, 2012, 2:34 pm
  360. I just started blogging, so this was really helpful! Thanks!

    Posted by Alessandra | October 26, 2012, 3:09 am
  361. Reblogged this on BarePsyche and commented:
    For a newbie like me in the blogosphere, this insightful blog helps…

    Posted by hazelmbaste | November 6, 2012, 3:52 am
  362. Great post Brigitte, and we couldn’t agree more. We’ve been blogging for 18 months, and over this time, we pretty much came to these same conclusions. We love being part of the larger community that blogging provides. Also, we’ve discovered many nice, helpful and interesting people in the blogosphere, and it’s been lots of fun. This post is great advice, and it’s nice to see someone write these ideas down for distribution. (And from the # of comments, it seems to be working well.) Well done! ~James & Terri @ gallivance.net

    Posted by gallivance.net | April 12, 2013, 4:01 pm
  363. Once again Brigitte, excellent post. We’ve found the blogosphere just as kind & supportive. And just so you know, we read to the end of every one of your posts that we liked. But we love your blog!! 🙂

    Posted by Inion N. Mathair | November 22, 2013, 6:24 am
  364. A bit late to the comment party here, but I have been following you for some time. Now, I am blogging in earnest and appreciate your advice.

    Posted by enkimoz | April 2, 2015, 3:11 pm
  365. Thank you for the mention!

    Posted by Brigitte | January 18, 2013, 5:47 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Pingback: The Road to Freshly Pressdom is Paved with Good Vibrations | Carr party of five - August 16, 2012

  2. Pingback: Second Punch « libertarianinmind - November 10, 2012

  3. Pingback: 365 Posts… | Serenity in the City - April 25, 2013

  4. Pingback: Welcome to Broke 101 — Tuition Is Free | (Re)Creating Carly - May 4, 2013

  5. Pingback: Souvenirs from my Internet Travels May 6-19 | wrapped up in books - June 22, 2013

Talk to me, tell me what you think....

Join 1,794 other subscribers

Archives

For Monday Musings

Copyright Notice

Copyright 2012-Infinity/All Rights Reserved forever and always, unless noted

Words of the Day

sheesh
/SHēSH/
exclamation

INFORMAL
exclamation: sheesh
  1. used to express disbelief or exasperation.
    “Sheesh! Why can’t you talk to me, you know, like normally?”
Origin
1950s: probably an alteration of jeez.