//
you're reading...
Literary Ramblings and Thoughts, Non-Fiction, Other Musings, Why Not?

Missed Monday Musings and Motivations – Part Five – Simplicity

I didn’t post yesterday despite the fact that I’d made a resolution to do so every Monday.    Over a month ago, I vowed to write something inspiring/motivational at the beginning of each week.  I don’t really have any excuse except that I needed a break from this screen, so I decided to give myself a break from feeling guilty about that and post a “Missed Monday” one today.

I love writing most of the time, but there comes a time when I think it’s important to break the cord and unplug myself from technology.  I did that from Friday until now, only checking email sporadically to comment on a few blogs or to attend to a few inquiries that I needed to answer.  I left my phone at home when I’d go for walks or to get outside and enjoy the simple things.

I do that at times.  I turn off the television, don’t watch it for a day or two.  I try to listen to the “quiet,” instead of the nonstop, constant news that I’ve determined is there at times to distract us, anger us or keep us focused on what’s wrong with the world instead of what’s so right with it.  And there is so much right with it.  Despite what we see (and I often think we’re shown the absolute worst) instead of all the people out there that are doing great things, that believe in humanity and treating everyone fairly.  That good stuff doesn’t make for great ratings, does it?

The past few days have been spent walking very long distances and biking.  The sun was out (finally) and when that happens here, everyone soaks it up.  People seem nicer, I don’t notice the aggressive drivers or those who blow the horn when I hesitate for half a second at a light when it turns green.  It was Mother’s Day so I talked to my family frequently.  My husband cooked me a great dinner for my birthday.  We walked, laughed and played.

The older I get, the more I realize it’s the simple things that you remember and that matter the most.  I remember times when my sisters and I laughed so hard that we couldn’t stop — you know that laughter that just won’t let you go — you can’t catch your breath?  I remember the first time my husband told me he loved me.  It wasn’t some grandiose thing; we were just sitting in a bar in a small town, there was a lot of noise and everyone was having a great time.  I looked at him and amid all the noise, he said, “I love you.”

It’s usually those simple instances in life that are the most important.  I’ve moved around since I was eighteen, more times that I can count.  Every place I’ve left, I’ve had to let go of something, lighten my load.  I’ve given away furniture that wouldn’t fit into a UHaul to strangers and I always, always leave money in a drawer so that the new person that moves in finds it.  I picture him or her finding a few bucks and being happy about that.

Simple things.

I figure by the time I’m 80 or so, I’ll have a chair, bed, my husband and a few clothes.  Don’t get me wrong, I love nice things.  Money makes life easier.  But I’ve had it and not had it and the same thing holds true, despite the place or income — it’s the simple things that get you through the worst and the best times.  The most beautiful place in the world can be a hell and the most barren place can be a paradise.  It’s the who you are in that place and what you value the most while you’re there that makes all the difference.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.  Leonardo da Vinci

Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity.  Plato

Nothing is more simple that greatness; indeed to be simple is to be great.  Ralph Waldo Emerson

The simplest things are often the truest.  Richard Bach

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that’s creativity.  Charles Mingus

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. From Max Ehrmann’s Desiderata

About Brigitte

Writer/Editor/Wanderer

Discussion

16 thoughts on “Missed Monday Musings and Motivations – Part Five – Simplicity

  1. Well done honey! I wish I could step away from technology for a weekend 🙂

    Xx

    Posted by Vikki (The View Outside) | May 16, 2012, 3:35 pm
  2. Brigitte I have been trying to create a balance between writing and living since I started blogging and other writing projects. Think that is why I am such a sporadic blogger… I love being unplugged! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures and experiences.

    Posted by ailialana | May 17, 2012, 2:30 pm
  3. I adore the memory of the first time your husband told you “I love you.” Thank you for sharing that.

    Posted by iamzion | May 17, 2012, 5:54 pm
  4. Congratulations on giving yourself what you need and in the process encouraging others to do the same!!

    Posted by erinambrose | May 18, 2012, 2:15 am
  5. I really like how you format your posts, and how witty your titles are. Titles in general are definately not a strong point for me, I write poetry but it’s always the titles. Your post titles are humerous in their use of wonderfully blunt (I really don’t mean the connotations..) allusion and alliteration. It offsets the more serious wisdom of the content nicely, like blue and brown.

    Posted by danakorneisel | May 18, 2012, 1:55 pm
    • Hi Dana, thank you! I try and glad you like them. I can certainly tell from your beautifully-written comment that you are indeed a poet. Humor is a good thing and most of the time, we can find humor in just about anything. You’ve stated it perfectly and that’s what I hope to achieve. Many thanks!

      Posted by Brigitte | May 18, 2012, 2:00 pm
  6. Thank you so much for writing this wonderful piece! You have put into words something I have been searching for a way to explain to people for a very long time. I look forward to reading more of your work.

    Posted by Adrie_Newman | May 20, 2012, 10:06 am
  7. Nicely stated. Thoreau was spot-on when he said: “Our life is frittered away by detail… simplify, simplify.” ~ Kat

    Posted by travelgardeneat | September 26, 2012, 2:02 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Pingback: Musings: Other Faces of Beauty… | Mirth and Motivation - May 16, 2012

Leave a reply to danakorneisel Cancel reply

Join 1,794 other subscribers

Archives

For Monday Musings

Copyright Notice

Copyright 2012-Infinity/All Rights Reserved forever and always, unless noted

Words of the Day

sheesh
/SHēSH/
exclamation

INFORMAL
exclamation: sheesh
  1. used to express disbelief or exasperation.
    “Sheesh! Why can’t you talk to me, you know, like normally?”
Origin
1950s: probably an alteration of jeez.