Literary Ramblings and Thoughts, News Worthy, Other Musings, Why Not?

A Testament to Dads

My Dad in Germany.

Father’s Day is in two days and I’m a really a horrible daughter because I did not get my Dad’s card in the mail.  I’ve been so busy since we returned from visiting them (just last week) and it kind of snuck up on me.

Excuses, excuses.  I’m a horrible daughter.  (This is what I do to myself — this self-deprecating thing that’s cute for my protagonist in my novel, but in real life, it is TIRING.)

Anyhoo, I did get my Daddy (yes, I still call him Daddy) a Sam’s Club Card.  My mother who knows this man of few words better than anyone told me, “Don’t get him a shirt or pants or a movie.  Just get him a Sam’s card so he can get what he wants.”  So I did and left it with her.  I was SUPPOSED to get him one of those mushy Hallmark cards and send it but I didn’t.

I called my Mom earlier so she could absolve me of my guilt.

“No, you’re not a horrible daughter, it’s okay, just send it later and when you call him on Sunday, tell him time got a way from you.  He’ll be fine.”

“Seriously, Mom what does he do with the cards anyway?”

“He puts them on his dresser and looks at them and reads them for a long while.

I. AM. A. HORRIBLE. DAUGHTER.

Some of my Dad’s favorite things that he’ll get NEXT week after Father’s Day.

To make up for my grievous gaff, I’ve already planned to not only send a card, but a goody box of popcorn, nuts and chocolate kisses and possibly one of those old John Wayne westerns which he probably already has.  Every weekend he and my Mom go to Sam’s Club where there is a plethora of John Wayne selections.  He’ll get a hot dog and a coke. Mom just goes along with it — she doesn’t like cokes or hotdogs, but she loves him.  It’s their thing.

My Dad is not a social person and my Mom, very social.  He is a very handsome man, even now, he’s handsome.  He’s like one of those strong, silent cowboys.  He doesn’t say much but when he does, it’s usually something that MEANS something.  When I was growing up, he KNEW every guy that was a jerk (and I dated a few), before they ever opened their mouths and he was very intimidating.  He’d just sit and stare, maybe grunt if they dared to say anything.  He made guys that wanted to date his girls uncomfortable.  It was intentional so that they showed their mettle (or lack of).

And, he was right — every single time.  My first date, he gave me a quarter before I left (this was before cell phones) and told me, “You remember you’re a lady.  If you need to, call me and I will come get you.”

He has very simple needs and wants.  He can built ANYTHING.  He’s an artist and he notices little things — like birds’ nests in trees (and he can name any tree) and they have a gorgeous garden, always have.  I think they call that organic now.

I grew up organic because of Daddy and because of my Mom.  Anyway, I’m getting all misty here.  He’s not perfect my Daddy, but he’s mine and though he doesn’t read blogs or anything, I’m sending this out there anyway:

Happy Father’s Daddy.  I Love You.

(I think that’s a good as any Hallmark card).

And, for all the DADS out there, the same to you – HAPPY FATHER’S DAY.

Have a great weekend everyone.

31 thoughts on “A Testament to Dads

1. I loved this! You’re not the only one who forgets to put cards in the mail. I do it (or don’t do it) all the time. Your dad sounds wonderful! Have a great weekend!

Posted by char | June 15, 2012, 3:08 pm
  2. Wow… lots there that reminds me of my Dad, too… especially the part about making the potential boyfriends shake in their shoes. It was the running joke in my neighborhood that if you wanted to date one of us girls, you’d have to go through our Dad first, and that involved knocking on the door and being met with a rifle. (‘course, there was no rifle, but the boys firmly believed there was… that’s Dad for ya!)

Posted by finally_write | June 15, 2012, 3:32 pm
  3. Your Dad does indeed look a very handsome man. Treasure him, I lost mine when he was only 58. I still think of him a lot. You are not a horrible daughter. I’ll bet he’d be real proud to think you’ve done this for him even if he isn’t into blogging or all things computer. Happy Father’s Day Brigitte’s Dad. 🙂

Posted by floatingwiththebreeze | June 15, 2012, 4:30 pm
  4. Loving your post – Have a Great Weekend:)

Posted by cravesadventure | June 15, 2012, 4:51 pm
  5. Really, really beautiful.

Posted by Fish Out of Water | June 15, 2012, 5:06 pm
  6. (smiling) great post. Dad’s are awesome eh?

Posted by dianasschwenk | June 15, 2012, 6:23 pm
  7. Brigitte, I love, love the photograph of your dad in Germany. Dashing!! What a lovely nod to your dad. Talk about a gift!! I also dig the John Wayne and Robert Mitchum poster, of course! T. (Confession: I gave up sending Hallmark card dance years ago, and I’ve never looked back. Or felt a twinge of guilt. I’ve replaced the “ritual” with little email messages, trinkets and gift cards. Also, I think birthdays and holidays are week-long events. The staggering of gifts, cards, and phone calls is a win-win in my little book. Great post!!)

Posted by Theadora | June 15, 2012, 7:00 pm
  8. Brigitte what a great homage to your dad in this post! God bless our strong and good fathers. I’m misty eyed and thinking of mine now, far away in India : )

Posted by Brinda | June 15, 2012, 8:28 pm
  9. A wonderfully sincere reflection about your Dad and Father’s Day, I really enjoyed it!

I know you’ve got a bunch of awards but I’m saying this anyway: I’ve really enjoyed your blog and have nominated you for a couple more! If you’re interested, please visit: http://ltclifeonhigh.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/more-love-to-be-passed-around/

Posted by lillianccc | June 16, 2012, 4:15 am
  10. Lovely, heart-felt post!

Posted by adiaryofanewife | June 16, 2012, 10:39 am
  11. My dad called me yesterday and said, “Hey, remember that music cd you said you were gonna send? I never did get it and I wondered if the letter carrier lost it. She’s not always reliable. I think she drinks”
    Bad daughter syndrome….looking for a Father’s Day eCard now. : )

Posted by Honie Briggs | June 16, 2012, 12:33 pm
  12. Brigitte,
    I’m browsing the blogosphere on this Father’s Day morning, reading FD posts, with my FD coffee, as my wife is FD taking care of the kids, and I must say, this is one of my favourite FD post read so far.
    Le Clown

Posted by clownonfire | June 17, 2012, 7:44 am
  13. This is really sweet Brig. Your dad is a looker!

Posted by Maggie O'C | June 19, 2012, 7:36 pm
  14. Brigitte speaking of Dad remember when he saw you some place you weren’t suppose to be and , when you came home and walked in the door. He was sitting in his recliner ,he put his hand out and you didn’t say a word, just walked over and dropped the keys to your old Mustang in his hand? The silent Dad!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Mom | June 24, 2012, 3:23 pm

Talk to me, tell me what you think....

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s