//
you're reading...
Humor, Literary Ramblings and Thoughts, Love and life, Motivations, News Worthy, Other Musings

Social Media Sharing — Are We Over-Sharing?

After coming off my Freshly-Pressed high/ride I’ve been on lately, I thought I’d write this post to offer up a big WELCOME to my new followers and to try and write something, anything of value. An inspiration, a laugh or some snippet of wisdom to pass along.

Instead I’ve found myself lacking any original ideas of what to write about. I don’t know if it’s the cloudy days that have been around for well, a few days now or the fact that I need to get back on some normal schedule of exercise or that thing you get when you’ve written something, that for whatever reason, was deemed worthy of being on that Freshly-Pressed spot for a few days. What now, I keep asking myself — what now?

Share and Over-Share Alike  — Inspiration from Another Form of “Watching”

I watched a television program (Dr. Oz) yesterday (work is slow for me these days) and it was about social media. About “over-sharing.” There were people on the program that were dubbed over-sharerers — those that blog and tweet about EVERYTHING — from bowel movements (yeah, I’m serious) to sex to whatever popped into their heads — stuff about their kids, complaining about their teenage children and then their children seeing it up on Facebook and them being humiliated. Is it me or have we become a little too familiar with each other?

Ooh! Guess what I did last night? I know…let me tweet/blog about it!!!

According to a study conducted by the Harvard Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience Lab the reason why we share is because it just feels so good — like having sex or eating chocolate or having sex while eating chocolate. They hooked people up to machines and found that two areas of the brain were perking up with orgasmic glee when we share intimate details about ourselves on a world-wide web scale — the same regions of the brain that perk up, well when you’re actually having orgasmic glee. Only it’s just you, typing or texting or tweeting away and no Marvin Gaye or Barry White playing in the background. No candles or soft lighting or anticipation. We get it all instantly without all the fuss, muss and foreplay.

I thought we did this already in the 80s.

Seems we like to talk about ourselves way more than we like to talk about anything else. It’s that little narcissistic thing we all have inside us. Not only do we get to share our little secrets, we get validation from a huge group of people and they share their secrets and pretty soon, we realize that we’re more alike than we thought.

A good thing, right? Maybe — kind of like therapy but you’re not sitting on a couch with a person across from you asking you — “And how did that make you feel?” Plus it’s cheaper, right? I dunno about this.

Obviously we’re feeling pretty damn good. Is this the new therapy?

Share and Share Alike — Just Not Everything

During the same program, they polled the audience about whether this or that person should have or shouldn’t have shared. Apparently there’s some stuff we shouldn’t share. Seriously, don’t we know what those things are? One was a woman who got in a sticky situation while trying to give herself a bikini wax. It wasn’t pleasant and it was far more than I would want to know. But that’s just me. Another was a woman splattering all over her Facebook wall about what she told her hubby when he wanted to get frisky. Her daughter wasn’t too happy about that. No, really?

There is a blogger that has over 50,000 followers but it’s about being a “domestic diva.” She celebrates being a Mom in her mid-30s and she does it by displaying videos of herself, sometimes dressed up in silly garb. This was deemed okay because she was celebrating her body — getting a message across to women in her same situation that it was okay to be “not so perfect.” I’m okay with that — she was funny, ridiculous and it resonated, obviously, with a large group of women. Dr. Oz said this was “very good thing.”

Oh M. Gee. Did I really just post that?

Call me old-fashioned but there are some things that I personally won’t ever share. I like sharing with all of my blogging buds some life stuff — overcoming tough periods in my life, giving out whatever pearls of wisdom I have from living on this earth for awhile and hoping someone takes something with them (after reading) that may help them reflect, pause or give them hope, a laugh or a “I’ve been there” kind of moment.

I follow some wonderful bloggers who’ve shared some pretty painful memories, but they did it in an intelligent and thoughtful way. I’m sure they helped others who may have had a similar experience — that’s a wonderful thing, a universal sharing that can make a difference in someone’s life. I applaud their bravery and their vulnerability.

Call me crazy, but some stuff’s just sacred.

But to each her/his own, right?

What do you think? Are we going too far? What’s your definition of over-sharing? And, since you’re in the mood already, think on this awhile and leave me a comment while listening to some Marvin Gaye.

C’mon, you know you want it.

What the heck — eat some chocolate while you’re at it.

About Brigitte

Writer/Editor/Wanderer

Discussion

68 thoughts on “Social Media Sharing — Are We Over-Sharing?

  1. It will be entertaining to see how many people click on your post IMMEDIATELY upon seeing the title, Brigitte!

    That’s interesting, the info about how the parts of the brain light up when sharing uber-personal info. I don’t really see why that’s such a turn-on for people. I’m not ever going to share that sort of stuff myself. I’m happy to share other details, but not the really really personal stuff. That’s why it’s called “personal.” And yeah, shouldn’t this ME ME ME stuff have been finished after the 80s were over? Sigh.

    But I like your offerings of chocolate and Marvin Gaye. 😉

    Posted by Madame Weebles | September 27, 2012, 1:00 pm
    • You know, Weebs I just had one of those moments and I think I will change the title — what was I thinking???? I don’t get it either and I won’t share that kind of stuff either. Glad you enjoyed the MG and chocolate though. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 1:04 pm
  2. Of course we are over sharing – our society has absolutely no filters when it comes to social media and reality TV…I know someone that had a miscarriage and posted “baby bye-bye” for her FB status – it was apalling. I’ve posted things that I’ve gone and removed b/c I realized it was horrifyingly too personal but not in a thoughtful way.

    Your post struck a chord with me b/c many of my postings are about personal stories in my life – and I have to keep in mind that my family reads them and knows who “The Mercenary Researcher” is – so that keeps me in check. I try to be thoughtful or funny in my posts as opposed to divulging too much information or posting something that would hurt someone else’s feelings (if it was about them) and get a laugh just b/c it’s mean spirited. Sometimes it’s a fineline to draw.

    The more we divulge to the world via computers the less intimate it seems – it’s a weird juxtaposition, right?

    Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | September 27, 2012, 1:08 pm
    • Hi Ruta, yes I think all of us have had those moments (like I just did with the original title) and then changed it. I always think that — would I care if someone in my family read something? Would I be proud of it? I try to be thoughtful and funny as well and I hate mean-spirited stuff. It is weird and sometimes I just wonder what the effects will really be…

      Thanks for your kind and thoughtful comment. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 1:18 pm
      • I’d be a lot funnier if I didn’t care about people’s feelings…
        But to what you’re saying about being proud of what we write…
        For example, my mom was horrfied that I shared with everyone that I’d had a breast reduction at age 18…(it was a tidbit for a blog award) but I’m sure she fell over the cliff when I posted about my fear of losing my nipples. But to me, that was a story with meaning and I don’t mind if people know that about my history…and everyone that knows me already knows about the operation. So it’s sometimes hard to know. But I do know that I have a somewhat scathing wit that I only share vocally and not in writing b/c I don’t want to humiliate people in writing…just when I rant to my husband 🙂

        Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | September 27, 2012, 1:23 pm
      • Yes, I’m the same way. I care very much about people’s feelings because that’s how I want people to treat me. Your sharing this probably helped someone going through the same thing…I get that. It’s those very, very personal things I don’t get — like the FB thing you mentioned and yes, I could probably be “funnier” I guess but I save that for the people that I know, face-to-face and that most definitely includes my darling hubby. :).

        Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 1:27 pm
      • thanks for the great post – I love talking about this stuff

        Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | September 27, 2012, 1:31 pm
    • Well said. I’m shocked that someone wrote baby bye bye on fb. It’s so sad things like this are the ‘norm’ now.

      Posted by hannah meiklejohn | September 27, 2012, 2:57 pm
  3. It’s really hard to answer your questions while listening to Marvin. Hold on…okay that’s better. I know I’ve shared some things that have been very personal, but I think it was the type of topics where it helps to share. There is a difference. Talking about some things helps us get over them or get through a situation. I think if it’s in a general since it’s okay. It’s when you start sharing day to day personal things is when problems arise.

    Posted by Brother Jon | September 27, 2012, 1:17 pm
    • MG rules and should be nice background music while reading. :). I think it’s fine to share somewhat personal things in order to give someone else a boost or a feel-good kind of thing. I’ve read your posts and I’ve never thought that about you, BroJo. It’s those way too intimate things I’m referring to and like you said when one does that….is when problems arise. Thanks for the comment!

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 1:21 pm
  4. Like Weebs, I got caught up in the Marvin Gaye and the idea of chocolate.

    I also agree that there are some lines that should never be crossed. Bathroom hygiene, etc. just seems so unnecessary. I’m pretty sure we all know what it is to live in and maintain the human body. Thanks, but no thanks. Keep it to yourself.

    I think there are a lot of boundaries that get crossed with all this social media. Putting yourself way out there wreaks of insecurity. That sort of need for attention and approval could be seen by some as a red flag, marking a deeper issue. That’s a well that never gets filled. I think getting your ego stroked can be pretty addicting and when the adoration stops for those people, they tend to get demanding, needy and sometimes depressed.
    I think it’s much healthier like you said, Brig, to learn to validate yourself, to self-approve, to ponder things and arrive at your own conclusion. Maturing and becoming a healthy confident adult is an ‘inside job.’ No amount of adoration and popularity will ever equal a quiet and confident self-love.

    Once again, great post. Your new peeps are in for a treat! : )

    Posted by A Gripping Life | September 27, 2012, 1:25 pm
    • Two of the good things in life I think — good music and dark chocolate. I agree with you. There are things you share (even with real, human relationships) with those close to you and things you don’t share with just acquaintances — those who don’t know you well. As always you understand and express yourself so intelligently and with great insight, Grippy. And thank you for your nice comment. As you said in one of your thoughtful comments, “Bird of a feather…” So true. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 1:45 pm
  5. Very interesting! There are several things that I have to consider when sharing to FB or my blog etc…I know that any of my family, friends or coworkers could see it at any moment. I try to be very considerate and not put anything up that I wouldn’t say to someone’s face or that I wouldn’t be embarrassed to say in a group. so many people don’t think about the repercussions of what they write on social media.

    Posted by dockfam | September 27, 2012, 1:29 pm
  6. My personal life and my blogging life are two different things, and I treat them as such. I definitely don’t share a ton of information on Facebook or Twitter about myself. You’d know what kind of music I liked or beer I drink from the pages I fan, but I don’t talk about every detail of my life. I broke up with my boyfriend months ago and have not said ONE peep about it. That’s not my style.

    On my blog…I tend to be outrageous. I overshare without it being personal…if that makes sense. I talked about how I had a water enema done to me, but refuse to talk about my family. I think we all draw a line somewhere.

    The people I can’t stand are the chronic complainers. What is UP with that? Seriously. Let’s look at the silver lining once in awhile.

    Posted by Jen and Tonic | September 27, 2012, 2:04 pm
    • Hi Jen — nice to see you here! I understand what you mean. Some writers/bloggers have different and very entertaining “personas” on their blogs — you’re one of them. Some funny, slice of life stuff. Your outrageous stuff is your brand and everyone, whether they mean to or not, develops their own unique “brand.” And I’m with you — I don’t talk about my family and I don’t understand the constant complainers either. If I want to feel badly, I can just turn on the news or catch one tiny snippet of a reality show and that’ll get my bad mood going pretty quickly. Thanks for stopping by and your nice comment.

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 2:20 pm
  7. Hmmm and my post today was a bit personal. Actually I’m a very private person. I have shared a few things that are very personal to me. Experiences in my life, but in the attempts to help others and let them know they aren’t alone and even an old woman like me has issues. Really do think people on fb and twitter share way to much most times. I really don’t want to know if you got to pee or not. I do think for myself though, the little bit I do share is helping me in a few ways and I do hope helping others in more ways. Great post though and I enjoyed it a lot! 🙂

    Posted by changeforbetterme | September 27, 2012, 2:10 pm
    • Hi Jackie, I don’t think your posts are “too personal” at all. Those experiences to help others are beneficial I think — for you and for others that may have experience the same thing. I wouldn’t know what to tweet about. HA! I’m so glad you enjoyed the post and thank you so much for your kind comment.

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 2:22 pm
  8. No MSG, FB or Twitter for me, thank you very much. This is a great post!!

    Posted by Honie Briggs | September 27, 2012, 2:11 pm
  9. Hey, Brigitte, I didn’t realize you’d been Freshly Pressed again. Congrats! And well-deserved, I might add. 🙂

    I definitely agree–there’s some overshare out there. But then again, many of us soak it up, so I guess as long as people keep reading or watching, others will continue to overshare. And perhaps we learn from them as a result? (Well, maybe not from the bikini wax thing…)

    Posted by Carrie Rubin | September 27, 2012, 2:11 pm
    • Why thank you, Carrie. I don’t know, I don’t read blogs that go wayyyy too personal. Same reason I don’t watch “reality” shows (really, that’s reality??). If anything I guess we can learn what not to do. Just my humble opinion,though. And yeah, I really don’t want to know about a bikini wax gone wrong, but that’s just me — I think this lady tweeted or wrote something or FB or blogged about that — I don’t know but it didn’t make me want to read more about it, that’s for sure. As always, Carrie, thank you for stopping in and reading my ramblings…

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 2:26 pm
      • Yes, I’m not one for that “reality” stuff either. I don’t even like my husband in the room with me when I’m flossing. Some things are best kept secret.

        Posted by Carrie Rubin | September 27, 2012, 2:28 pm
      • HA! You are so funny and I soooo agree with you.

        Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 2:30 pm
      • there was only one reality show ever – and that was candid camera. on that show, it was reality because the “stars” did not know there were cameras around. when the people on “big brother” or those other shows are aware of the cameras, they become “actors” because they know they’re being watched and they’re vying for attention. they want to be noticed and remembered, so they do not behave as they normally would. not reality.

        Posted by rich | September 27, 2012, 2:38 pm
      • I think many of those “reality” shows are actors or people trying to be actors. Or actors acting. I don’t know, I don’t watch them. Ew. Nice to see you here, Rich and thank you. And yes, I guess candid camera did start the whole thing, huh?

        Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 2:45 pm
  10. Oh Brigitte I am so jealous of your freshly pressed status!! Congrats!

    Umm, am I the oversharer of which you speak?

    I will say, I don’t remember any orgasmic glee in the recent weeks, but before then…. so gleeful I pee glitter.

    Posted by reptilesintheicecream | September 27, 2012, 2:37 pm
  11. I got to this one earlier!
    Yes, I think people definitely share too much. It’s not confined simply to social media but in real life. I’m not talking about intimate friends or spouses (who perhaps don’t share enough), but acquaintances. I sold insurance for many years and would occasionally hear things about people that I didn’t need to know. The problem with sharing a “confidence” like that is that once shared, you don’t have any control over where it goes. This is ESPECIALLY true of social media.

    I sort of remove myself from a great many of the things I write online (Tardsie’s True-Ass Tales being an exception), although I have posted personal photos on my blog. In real life I am a very friendly, outgoing–but intensely private–person. I’m much more likely to share my joys than my sorrows. Fortunately, as does most everybody, if they think about it, I have more joys than sorrows.

    I think I agree with Dr. Oz regarding the woman who takes pictures of herself in kooky outfits. No, that’s not for me, either, but I do think that’s empowering. She’s showing off, but in a good way.

    Posted by Smaktakula | September 27, 2012, 2:58 pm
    • I agree, Smak. I’d like to think I’m a friendly and outgoing person myself, constantly being told I’m too sensitive but I’ve learned to embrace that instead of fight it. I’m a private person myself and when I’m in large groups, I usually listen way more than I talk and/or reveal. Yes, I don’t get the Domestic Diva thing either but then I’m not a 30-something Mom and don’t live that kind of lifestyle so it doesn’t resonate with me so much. I guess it’s a good thing for empowering a certain group of people and as long as it’s not mean-spirited or horrifically personal, I’m guessing that’s okay. Like I said, to each her/his own, right? Thank you.

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 3:13 pm
  12. Yeah, I really couldn’t stand the incessant stream of mundane updates on FB. I really don’t care if your kid is constipated or you had a tuna sandwich for lunch. Oh, and the “my day is awful, but I’m not going to tell you why” posts! Good grief.

    Posted by Fish Out of Water | September 27, 2012, 3:53 pm
    • I’ve heard other people say that, Fish — about that constant stream. Maybe I’m wrong since I’ve never been on FB, but you’re not the only person to say the thing about “mundane” updates. Thanks for the comment!

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 4:02 pm
  13. I am a very private person. Very. But I have shared personal things (my daughter and parents) on my blog. Very unusual for me. The first time I did it, I was apprehensive and tentative about doing so. Who would care?!? BUT, when I saw the positive response, I thought, “Hey, this feels pretty good!”

    I have a Facebook account but it annoys me. I really don’t want to know that so-and-so is,”Leaving for the grocery store! Wish me luck.” “Back from the grocery store in one piece!” Ugh.

    Posted by robincoyle | September 27, 2012, 3:58 pm
    • Hi Robin, since I’ve been FP’d twice, I’ve had the good fortune to be introduced to many great and talented bloggers who take the time to read and comment on what I have to say. I hope that I’m not over-sharing. As I mentioned in my post, I think it’s a good thing to share those things which strike a chord with people — those universal things — such as what you’ve experienced. I certainly wasn’t referring to those kind of things, more to, like I wrote in the post, highly intimate and very personal things — bodily functions, sex, etc., how “awful” you think your teenage child is — those things that you’d share with friends, close friends.

      But it’s a different era now, so what the heck do I know?

      But again to each her/his own. I don’t have any knowledge of FB or Twitter so this was just an observation on my part. I think FB would annoy me too! Thank you for taking the time to comment — it’s much appreciated!

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 4:06 pm
  14. Interesting! I was thinking along similar lines today 🙂 My worst ever experience of an over share was my partner’s younger sister sharing her first experience of anal sex on facebook. Yep. It’s such a new communication this ability to share your business worldwide, it’s not surprising we’re making mistakes.

    Posted by sarafoley | September 27, 2012, 7:07 pm
  15. Well for someone who says she’s been lacking for post ideas, I think you came up with a great one here. 🙂 So much of what people put “out there” is definitely oversharing and too much information. I don’t ever want to hear about some stranger’s wax problems.

    Even public cell phone conversations reveal far more than I need to know. I don’t want to know that someone’s tests came back positive and she’s contacting everyone she’s slept with! (True story, I’m afraid.)

    Posted by jmmcdowell | September 27, 2012, 7:17 pm
    • Well thanks, J. I’m with you. There are certain subjects better left kept — well, quiet. And that is so annoying — those very loud personal cell phone calls in public. I find myself getting angry and then getting angry because I do. After all, I can walk away from them. Which I do! Your true story doesn’t surprise me though. Sigh. Thanks for the comment, J.

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 8:37 pm
  16. I don’t think most people ever really think about how what they post online is kinda up there forever!

    Posted by dianasschwenk | September 27, 2012, 7:45 pm
  17. A very thoughtful post! I guess the excess sharing on social networking sites has to do a lot with their insecurities and a sense of ‘fitting-in’ with their peers. It’s a cry for attention. We all like it. But, some overstep the line of decency. I personally do not like people sharing intimate details of their relationships—share whatever you want about yourself, but laying someone else’s life out in the open is where I draw the line.

    Posted by aparnauteur | September 27, 2012, 8:04 pm
    • Thanks Aparna, someone else mentioned that and I think you’re right. But I thought that was high-school stuff and eventually I think we need (especially adults) to move past that. Yes, we do want to fit in and it feels good to be validated for one’s efforts. You know how these blogs take time…and it’s nice to have someone say something you wrote resonated with them. I guess I’m just old-school about some things. There’s just some stuff you don’t need to share — on a world-wide scale. Thank you!

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 8:41 pm
  18. First of all, what a great follow up post to your Freshly Pressed piece! Love this, Brig. I think the question of whether we overshare is so integral to the whole blogging experience. Finding that balance is hard, especially if we want to make strong bonds with our readers and the people we interact with. You and I both run around in the same blogging “clique” (for lack of better terms), but I’m also part of a large group of women who blog about their kids, and one of the first parenting decisions I had to make for my daughter was deciding whether or not I would call her by her real name on my blog. I opted for a nickname because sometimes sharing too much information can be dangerous. I trust most of my blogging friends (you among them) but I don’t trust the other weirdos out there. It’s a big scary world and I want to protect my child. When I write about her, I use pretty broad strokes.

    Posted by The Waiting | September 27, 2012, 8:33 pm
    • Hi Em, thank you. Yes, you and I do move in the same circles. :). I think your posts don’t go past that line and I’m sure you connect with many Moms out there that deal with the same issues that you do. I think that’s a great thing and one of the best things about the blogging community.

      Others we gravitate to are humorous and some deal with deeper issues. Some of my posts have. It is difficult to find that balance and you have to put some of “yourself” and who you are out there in order for people to connect with you. I think we all know what “lines” we’re comfortable with. I was just surprised to find out some of things that people were sharing — very, very intimate things. You know from reading my posts I’m very non-judgmental but where do we draw the line between decency and well, the other stuff? But, you know if you don’t like something, you don’t have to read it, right? C’est la vie!

      As always, thank you for your insightful comments, Em.

      Posted by Brigitte | September 27, 2012, 8:47 pm
  19. I think someone already mentioned this but it upsets me when people post sad things like RIP so-and-so. I understand they might be looking for support but to me, it somehow feels disrespectful and rather flippant to put something like that online in a short status update. I’m all for sharing experiences but some things are better left unsaid (and that includes stuff we’d all rather NOT know about). Great post as always and congrats again on the FP!

    Posted by lillianccc | September 27, 2012, 9:56 pm
  20. Reblogged this on monologue.

    Posted by ulricalzr | September 28, 2012, 1:34 am
  21. what a grand follow up to your fp post! Wow.. way to get the dialogue running woman. I would say I WAY over shared this week but it felt good to write it, awful to post it. I ended up pulling it off the blog.
    You are thought provoking and a wonderful writer Brigitte. You are like the anchor that keeps us all balanced here at WP.( I hate reality shows too but MG and chocolate..mmm)

    Posted by unfetteredbs | September 28, 2012, 5:58 am
    • Hi Audra, thank you. I don’t think you did. Like I said I understand those type of “memory” posts and they may can be helpful to someone else — I thought you expressed yourself beautifully! So nice of you to say that — it means so much to me coming from one of my favorite bloggers/friends. And yeah, you can never go wrong with MG and chocolate, right? ;).

      Posted by Brigitte | September 28, 2012, 11:06 am
  22. Brigitte,
    So you did change your title…. Are we over-sharing. I think this is a personal thing, a bit like the exchange we had on the F word. With social media, we often get a false sense of familiarity with our audience, Facebook being one, but even much so on the blogosphere. What I want to stress out is that we all have a chance to set different privacy settings – on FB, you can set some pics to “private”, to restrict an audience, etc. On WordPress, we can set a password to some private posts, etc… But more than anything, as authors and bloggers, we have the freedom of choosing the information we decide to put out there…
    Le Clown

    Posted by Le Clown | September 28, 2012, 7:36 am
    • Hi Eric, yeah when Weebs mentioned it, I got a bit paranoid and really, it didn’t matter anyway! :).Yep, I agree with you — it is a personal thing. Just from watching what other people were talking about is what sparked the idea for this post. Obviously, the people who were “over-sharing” weren’t using those filters/privacy settings and it’s always a choice as to what one reads anyway, right? I’m not implying censorship in any fashion and those who wish to express themselves — in whatever way — as long as it’s not damaging/hurtful to others have the freedom to do so. Thank you for your input, Eric — it’s always so appreciated.

      Posted by Brigitte | September 28, 2012, 11:15 am
  23. Brigitte,

    I so agree here. I think that some people feel free to share anything and everything. I know there are some on the blogosphere who feel the need to give out TMI, not ones I follow. Here, I’m looking for either inspiration or community or entertainment and over-sharing is none of those for me. Great post, as always.

    Cathy

    Posted by Cathy Ulrich | September 28, 2012, 9:10 am
    • I understand exactly what you mean, Cathy and I agree. That’s the circle of bloggers I follow (and you and I are in the some of the same circle of some enormously talented peeps — yourself included) who give me inspiration AND entertainment. Thank you, friend.

      Posted by Brigitte | September 28, 2012, 11:16 am
  24. Great post! All i could think about while reading it was how glad I am to be following your blog! You are modest yet confident about yourself and I admire bloggers, people in general, with qualities such as these 🙂
    I completely agree about handling issues in an intelligent and thoughtful manner. It is healthy to share especially when there is a lesson to be learned or relevant so others can read it and hopefully do one of two things; a) don’t make the same mistake and or b) be able to handle a similar situation just as well or better with their new found perspectives.
    Whatever we encounter I think it is wise to handle without judgements or egos so we can deal with what is at hand logically. This is something I personally have had to learn. I believe if we all were exposed to more people who handled situations in this manner than the only thing that would come of it would be making the world that much better!
    Again great post! You have exercized my mind 🙂 and not in the “oh man I hate exercise” kind of way! Lol

    Posted by hezalyte | September 28, 2012, 9:49 am
    • Hi H, what a great comment — thank you! You’re so kind to say that and you’ve summed up beautifully what I was trying to summarize in this post. So glad you enjoyed and thank you for taking the time to read and following my musings here. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | September 28, 2012, 11:18 am
  25. What people choose to share is a matter of choice, but often that choice questions the chooser’s sanity. If someone wants to reveal their rate of intercourse, that’s their decision and I’m free to think my own thoughts about that, probably something along the line of, “What an idiot, do I need to know this and why am I reading this?” I agree with Le Clown that the people often get a false sense of familiarity with the audience; they can lose their heads. For me, Lame Adventures is my brand, but it’s not the entire story of my life. That’s much lame-er.

    Posted by lameadventures | September 28, 2012, 10:20 am
    • Hi V, you are right of course. I’m not judging at all! If that’s your thing, that’s your thing. As long as one doesn’t invade the privacy of another then whatever, right? The same reason I’m not interested in watching “reality” shows (yeah, right) is the same reason I’m not interested in reading intensely private accounts of what you mentioned! I love your brand and you are not in any sense of the word, “lame.” Thank you! :).

      Posted by Brigitte | September 28, 2012, 11:20 am
  26. Mart and I were driving back from Philly today, and had a conversation about ‘over sharing’ and the concept of one’s virtual avatar.
    Some people I know use social media as a forcefield to reality, and expose shit that doesn’t shock, but pisses me off. I’m with you -don’t need to know about everything. If you have some serious materials to write – spend time with it before tweeting, facebooking, or blogging – else it comes off as sympathy seeking.

    So I’ve been working/traveling non-stop, just wanted to say congrats on your 2nd Pressing. You deserve it. While I don’t always comment, your Monday Musings have become as ritualistic as my morning tea.

    Hope you had a great weekend, B!

    Posted by mabukach | September 30, 2012, 6:32 pm
    • Hi Mike, yes I agree with you. I know how busy your schedule is and thank you for taking the time to give me some congrats. I never pictured you as a morning tea kind of guy, but I’m glad you dig my Monday musings and thanks so much, Mike. Tell your lovely Marti I said hi and hope you guys are doing great. :).

      Posted by Brigitte | October 1, 2012, 9:15 am
  27. Tell you one thing, if that guy you have up there offered me a candy bar like that, half naked, I’d start sweating, breathing really rapidly then I’d collapse, die of a heart attack maybe 🙂

    Posted by Sword-chinned bitch | October 3, 2012, 7:36 pm
  28. I’m not sure if there is a statute of limitations for commenting in proper blogging etiquette (I’m really still learning and breaking out of my comfort zone), but I did want to compliment you on this post.

    I have a love / hate relationship with Facebook especially. I rarely even go on to it much these days. I find a higher level of authenticity, of genuinity, here in the blogging community.

    Just wanted to say thank-you for this. You and I are very like-minded.

    Posted by runningonsober | October 18, 2012, 2:02 am
    • I think we’re all learning, Christy. I know sometimes I doubt before I hit that publish button but I try to ask myself — Am I proud of this? Does this represent me as the person I am? What’s my purpose in posting this info? I’ve never been on Facebook. I’ve heard some not so great things about it but I have no personal experience with it.

      You’re so kind and thank you for reading!

      Posted by Brigitte | October 18, 2012, 8:37 am

Leave a reply to Brigitte Cancel reply

Join 1,794 other subscribers

Archives

For Monday Musings

Copyright Notice

Copyright 2012-Infinity/All Rights Reserved forever and always, unless noted

Words of the Day

sheesh
/SHēSH/
exclamation

INFORMAL
exclamation: sheesh
  1. used to express disbelief or exasperation.
    “Sheesh! Why can’t you talk to me, you know, like normally?”
Origin
1950s: probably an alteration of jeez.