//
you're reading...
Fiction, Good Things, Humor, Literary Ramblings and Thoughts, Love and life, Motivations, News Worthy, Non-Fiction, Other Musings, Why Not?, Writing & Writers

Thanks

"But words are things, and a small drop of ink, Falling like dew, upon a thought, produces That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think." - George Gordon Byron I'm with George on this

“But words are things, and a small drop of ink,
Falling like dew, upon a thought, produces
That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.”
– George Gordon Byron
I’m with George on this.

As a writer I’m acutely aware of how much weight words carry. We fling them about these days, through various channels of social media, so many outlets of delivering what we feel, what we want to say.

I personally don’t Tweet, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and whatever else there may be.  I seriously don’t know how people have the time for all of it.

There are some things that we just need to leave in the basket, doncha' think?

There are some things that we just need to leave in the basket, doncha’ think?

That’s not to say I never will, but it took me a couple of years to even start a blog. I grew up with the adage of not airing your “dirty laundry” in public. I still agree to that, to a certain extent.

What I love about social media is that it has brought to light many subjects that were hidden for so long. Abuse, mental illness, human rights, cultural differences and how we can intelligently solve problems if we listen to each other.

We have the astounding capability to communicate with people who we never would have, if not for social media. In some cases, it’s nothing short of a miracle when we do “connect.” It seems God-like, karma beautiful, fate-driven goodness, as if it were meant to be. We’ve read and seen stories of people being reunited and ones where altruism is brought to a whole new level of giving and kindness. The good of social media knows no bounds.

As does the flip side of it, but I won’t give any words or weight to writing about that. We always have the right to decide for ourselves what we want to fill our minds and hearts with.

This Time of Year

Here I am jumping in a sun-dappled meadow. Because I'm happy.

Here I am jumping in a sun-dappled meadow. Because I’m happy.

I feel festive, holiday-like this season. Remember what that feels like? When I was a little girl, I remember it. Sometimes there was snow, sometimes there wasn’t. But there was family, food, movies, and more than that, a sense of wonderment, as if there really was some magic floating around. Miracles. Goodness. Kindness. That fluttery feeling in your stomach, as if you just can’t contain the happiness you feel.

That feeling of life, and how much was in store for you.  Just around the corner, was the next big thing that was going to happen to you and you would see this, do that. Exhilaration. Remember that?

Thank You

As I approach the end of another year, I’m so grateful for feeling good — it’s an overwhelming sense of gratitude. Grateful for my health, my husband, my kids (they both have paws), my family, this place I call home. This country and despite the differences, it’s still the best place in the world, in my opinion, to live, love and learn. And to be open to learning more and more — always.

I’m thankful to learn how this generation will take care of this planet, this country and maybe reveal too much, but at the same time, reveal enough that we will finally, hopefully, once and for all, discover that we’re all in this together. And really, we’re more the same than we are different. So thank you, next generation, in advance for that.

Thank you for reading.

I put this bunny picture in here because it's so freaking cute. It makes me happy. Hope it affects you the same way.

I put this bunny picture in here because it’s so freaking cute. It makes me happy. Hope it affects you the same way.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone — to you and yours.  I hope you’re feeling good and your stomach gets that fluttery feeling and not just from all that food. Much love and happiness.

***

Because I’m missing a place I once called home and there are loved ones who live there, here’s a song dedicated to that place and those people in it.

Photo creds: Thank you, Lord Byron (Wikipedia), Happy, Bunny

About Brigitte

Writer/Editor/Wanderer

Discussion

29 thoughts on “Thanks

  1. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Brigitte! May light and love be yours always.

    Posted by JackieP | November 26, 2014, 12:01 pm
  2. I don’t often get that exciting holiday feeling anymore. I miss that. The anticipation, the tingling from just thinking of what’s ahead. But now that I’m older, I’m more grateful for the things I have and the people in my life, so perhaps that’s the trade-off. I’ll take it. 🙂

    Happy Thanksgiving, Brigitte!

    Posted by Carrie Rubin | November 26, 2014, 12:56 pm
    • It’s not giddy childlike glee for extended periods of time but it does still happen to me. And like you, I’m very grateful for all the great things and people in my life. Happy, contented, at peace — now that’s something to be thankful for. Hope your Mom is doing well, and you and yours too, Carrie. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

      Posted by Brigitte | November 26, 2014, 1:19 pm
  3. Ah, it’s the perfect week for Lord Byron and a Bunny! I’m also with George. Falling like dew, indeed. Happy Thanksgiving, Brigitte!

    Posted by Theadora Brack | November 26, 2014, 1:14 pm
  4. I want to say yes, I recall that fluttery feeling kids have at this time of year, and I do recall looking forward to it in my youth, but I think I’ve always been a bit of a misanthrope, Brig. That said, I am very thankful for certain foods I only eat at holiday time. And it’s always nice to spend time with family and friends, but I can appreciate that company just as much in July as I do near a tree reeking of pine. It heartens me to know that you’re feeling good. And I much prefer seeing the bunny in the hand than in a stew. Happy Turkey Day.

    Posted by lameadventures | November 26, 2014, 2:19 pm
    • You seem very contented, V, in your writing. I’m not comfortable at all in large social situations myself though I once pretended I was. That fluttery feeling is fleeting (say that three times) but it feels good just the same. I know this will be a bittersweet season for you and I wish you so much goodness, V. And for the record, I never cared much for gamey kind of stews anyway. Happy Thanksgiving! Eat lots of good food and be well!

      Posted by Brigitte | November 26, 2014, 2:59 pm
  5. Happy Thanksgiving Brig! xoxox

    Posted by Maggie O'C | November 26, 2014, 7:08 pm
  6. You always post interesting and nice snippets tucked away on your blog…love the Byron quote and you frolicking in the blue sky. I was filled with joyful anticipation that my college gal came home for a few days AND of course, the wonderful meal that lies ahead. I’m one content woman tucked away in a nor’easter snow storm with my home full, fire burning and warm things baking in the oven. I don’t need much…and I have what I need. Family, friends and sweet love. ( coffee and chocolate) cheers and I’m damn grateful for you. Smiling, Audra

    Posted by UpChuckingwords | November 26, 2014, 8:07 pm
    • Yes, I do love to frolic. Ha! Thanks, A. Your evening sounds so wonderful. Warm house with divine smells and snow outside. So glad your sweet girl is home. We don’t have snow but we have a fire going as well. It’s a wonderful life, isn’t it? And I am damn grateful for you too. You are one in a million. Ten million. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, friend.

      Posted by Brigitte | November 26, 2014, 8:45 pm
  7. My fluttery feelings are slightly mixed in with some life ambivalence but I’m still grateful for them because after having missed three consecutive Thanksgivings, I can finally spend one with my family. Sadly, not everyone is able to make it home but nevertheless, being home after having been away for so long is a great feeling. As is knowing that I have friends now in even more parts of the world who think of me from time to time and have a presence in my life. A very happy and satiated Thanksgiving to you! 🙂

    Posted by lillianccc | November 26, 2014, 8:29 pm
    • LIllian, great to see you. I’m so glad you’re going to be with family and you’re feeling some joy. Your travels are magnificent to read about and lucky you with your global friends. Have a great Thanksgiving!

      Posted by Brigitte | November 26, 2014, 8:48 pm
  8. Happy Thanksgiving Brigitte – I love your positivity!
    Diana xo

    Posted by dianasschwenk | November 27, 2014, 12:22 am
  9. I’m Thankful for you as well. I love you and your insight. I have always enjoyed the depth and yet relaxed manner of your messages. They are little treasures. Thank you and happy thanksgiving.

    Posted by Jeff | November 27, 2014, 8:21 am
  10. I loved the sense of wonderment that the holiday season always brought when I was young and I still get glimpses of it today–to me Christmas always has been an unbelievable time of year–when I was little I could not believe my luck! Brigitte–Happy Thanksgiving and keep blessing us with your wonderful words of wisdom–you observe the world from a special place and I am glad you share it

    Posted by on thehomefrontandbeyond | November 27, 2014, 8:45 am
    • I know what you mean, Lou. Christmas is special as well and brings about that sense of magic and family. Your words are the same to me, Lou and what a lovely blessing I just received from you. Thank you and I hope you and yours are having a joyous holiday season.

      Posted by Brigitte | November 27, 2014, 8:53 am
  11. I’ve spent the last few weeks grumbling about the Christmas advertising that’s popped up on tv and radio, about the retailers who seem to be pushing holiday decorations earlier and earlier every year. But now, after reading your post, I’m thinking maybe this isn’t such a bad thing? Obviously I reject the consumerist motivations and the message that we need to be spending more money to be happier, but if I can ignore all that and focus on the holiday spirit and the magic and the “tingles” – I’m ok with feeling like a kid again for a few extra weeks out of the year. Thank you for your post and reminding me to be less Scrooge-like and more kid-like.

    Posted by Erin E. | November 30, 2014, 10:16 am
    • Hi Erin, so glad you stopped by. You’ve got a great point there. I’ve said the same thing about Christmas getting earlier and earlier but for whatever reason it didn’t bug me this year. I’m loving the decorations and the music. And I agree we don’t need things to make us happy but I am glad the economy is picking up and maybe some people that didn’t have jobs have work. I guess there’s an up and down side to most situations, it’s how we choose to look at it.

      And yes, I want to feel that kid-like excitement that you mentioned. Thank you for your wonderful comment. Happy holidays, Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, and every other thing that speaks to your heart and makes you feel good!

      Posted by Brigitte | November 30, 2014, 12:44 pm
      • I listened to 2 hours of Christmas music last night while cooking dinner and even though it was rainy and nasty outside, Frank Sinatra Christmas always puts me in a great mood. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you too! 🙂

        Posted by Erin E. | December 4, 2014, 6:30 am
      • Oh, Frank Sinatra and rain, now that WILL put you in the Christmas spirit! I love it when it’s cold and nasty outside and warm with good music/vibes inside. That’ll bring cheer most any time. Thanks, Erin.

        Posted by Brigitte | December 4, 2014, 7:34 am
  12. The bunny is adorable.

    “The Time of Year.” I’m really glad you’re feeling festive. That is such a GREAT way to feel, not only for you & your family (husband & kids w/paws), but everybody you come in contact with. Think about how you act when you’re feeling good; think about how you treat people when you’re happy. Now imagine all the good you can do if you’re spending a month (or longer–who knows?) in that state? Being happy is NEVER the wrong thing to do.

    I think it’s also good to be thankful–and it’s not just me who thinks that; studies show that grateful people tend to be happier, live better lives, make more money, marry more attractive people, etc. Those people were grateful people BEFORE those things came into their lives.

    Like so many technologies, social media is definitely a mixed bag. There are definitely downsides. I understand that social media can foster “lifestyle envy.” Recently, an old friend from high school drunkenly berated me on Facebook for being undeservedly fortunate. In some ways I AM undeservedly fortunate, but it wasn’t at any one else’s expense, least of all him.

    But social media can also be a great thing. It keeps me in easy touch with a lot of my friends, and has made me better friends with people whom I knew casually or perhaps not at all. I wouldn’t have known about my 20th HS reunion without FB, and even if I had known, without people talking it up on FB, I wouldn’t have gone.

    So it’s good and bad, like so many things. There’s a saying I like which I think applies here: “When you pick up one end of a stick, you pick up the other end also.”

    Posted by Smaktakula | December 3, 2014, 3:10 pm
    • Smak, you are like a wise yoda or something. You always have some thought-provoking comment and it inspires — thank you and glad you liked my bunny. I did marry an extremely attractive man so I believe there’s something to what you’re saying. I was always a very sensitive child but do remember being happy, for the most part, and being very grateful. When I do get off track or complain, I really try to just STOP, pause and remember how wonderful my life is. And I understand what you’re saying about social media — I do. My Mom Facebooks and she’s found much comfort from it.

      And yes, before hubby walked into my life, I was very happy. It made it all the sweeter. As always, thanks for dropping in and your comment.

      Posted by Brigitte | December 3, 2014, 4:09 pm
  13. There’s something about moving into adulthood for most of us that buries that childlike exhilaration. Sometimes I find it again when watching very young children have their turn with the season’s anticipation. Mostly, though, I find myself more reflective at this time of year as I get older. And more grateful for everything that’s gone well.

    I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Brigitte, and may the Christmas season continue to bring joy to you and your family.

    Posted by jmmcdowell | December 3, 2014, 6:18 pm
    • I know what you mean JM. Reflection is a good thing as is snippets of joy when they come. And they still do despite getting older. Like you, I’m very grateful for my life and those in it. It’s pretty exciting though to still imagine the next great thing that’s around the corner.

      I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving and I wish the same for you and yours. A very beautiful, blessed and Merry Christmas. Thanks, J.

      Posted by Brigitte | December 3, 2014, 7:17 pm

Leave a reply to jmmcdowell Cancel reply

Join 1,794 other subscribers

Archives

For Monday Musings

Copyright Notice

Copyright 2012-Infinity/All Rights Reserved forever and always, unless noted

Words of the Day

sheesh
/SHēSH/
exclamation

INFORMAL
exclamation: sheesh
  1. used to express disbelief or exasperation.
    “Sheesh! Why can’t you talk to me, you know, like normally?”
Origin
1950s: probably an alteration of jeez.