motivations for writing

This tag is associated with 14 posts

Make Racket and Wave Things

Writers have a way of describing people, places and things — an observant point of view —  that gives readers a new way of looking at those aforementioned nouns. Authors such as Dr. Seuss was a genius at bending words and phrases. All Alone! Whether you like it or not, Alone will be something you’ll … Continue reading

A Writer Takes The Challenge — This Time in Beguiling Prose

At the end of January, I challenged my fellow writers/readers with a writing prompt.  In my January 30th blog, Two Twenties and a Ten, I put forth my interpretation of a short story using the word, “jejune” and the phrase from Steven Wright, the comedian — “You can’t have everything.  Where would you put it?” … Continue reading

Getting Out of My Comfort Zone

Since I’ve been actively writing and submitting work, I’m more aware of getting out of doing what I’ve always done and that’s mainly writing in first person point of view (POV).  That mainly comes from decades of journaling so it’s easiest for me.  That’s what my 120 pages plus of my novel is —  so … Continue reading

I Dream of a Cottage in France…

The picture accompanying this blog is from a “poem” that I wrote over ten years ago.  I purchased an inexpensive plague from a craft store and wrote the passage on a piece of parchment paper. I then burned the edges of the paper, glued it on the wooden plague and shellacked it.  I’ve carried this … Continue reading