writing fiction

This tag is associated with 11 posts

Two Steps Back, One Spring Forward

I don’t know about you, but when Spring begins peeking through the gray fog (I have that many days where I am), I get a renewed sense of purpose.  I begin thinking about all the things I had meant to do before now, wondering how they got pushed back down on my ever-present, ever-evolving “To-Do” … Continue reading

National Grammar Day Celebrates its Fourth Anniversary

Today is National Grammar Day.  Founded in 2008 by Martha Brockenbrough, writer and founder of National Grammar Day and the Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar (SPOGG), it’s gained popularity and according to the Chicago Tribune, warranted a letter from President Bush on the first day of its creation.  Read the article, “A toast … Continue reading

Make Racket and Wave Things

Writers have a way of describing people, places and things — an observant point of view —  that gives readers a new way of looking at those aforementioned nouns. Authors such as Dr. Seuss was a genius at bending words and phrases. All Alone! Whether you like it or not, Alone will be something you’ll … Continue reading

Time’s Running Out – Enter the Contest!

In case you haven’t heard or run across this great contest – 2012 Stella Kupferberg Memorial Short Story Contest, you still have time.  Deadline is March 2nd by 5 p.m. EST. Subject:  “Objects of Desire” – If objects could talk, what stories would they tell? Historical, religious, beloved, passed along, cast aside — every object tells a … Continue reading

I Dream of a Cottage in France…

The picture accompanying this blog is from a “poem” that I wrote over ten years ago.  I purchased an inexpensive plague from a craft store and wrote the passage on a piece of parchment paper. I then burned the edges of the paper, glued it on the wooden plague and shellacked it.  I’ve carried this … Continue reading