Good Things, Humor, Literary Ramblings and Thoughts, Love and life, Motivations, News Worthy, Non-Fiction, Other Musings, Why Not?, Writing & Writers

Two Days Before Christmas

As I sit here at my desk rejoicing in the fact that it’s sunny out, my family is safe and healthy and my husband has the holiday off, it makes me take stock of what I have. How great  life is and how fortunate I am to live in a country that allows me to take all that in and celebrate it.

Sunshine on my shoulder and on this bird makes me and him happy. During the holidays or anytime, really.

Sunshine on my shoulder and on this bird makes me and him happy. During the holidays or anytime, really. Beach, waves, sunshine. Good gifts.

As we all move forward into a New Year with both anticipation and trepidation, I hope that we’ll take this giving and kindness spirit along with us. I don’t get political on my blog, but I often get nostalgic, sentimental and philosophical because, well that’s just how I roll. Instead of hiding that fact as I have in the past, feeling sensitive or different or strange or thinking I must be the only person who feels things the way I feel them, I take comfort in the fact that, a) That’s absolutely not true; and, b) I have blessedly and finally reached a point in my life where I have to be true to who I am.  As the saying goes, those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

My husband said to me a couple of months ago when I was beginning to feel the holiday anxiety/blues/sadness stuff I’ve felt for the past few years: “You’ve always been a middle-of-the-road kind of person. You nearly always look at the bright side, but not overly so. But, you never were the half-empty kind of person that you seem to think you are now. You’re not, you’re still you, the woman I love, the woman I fell in love with and the holidays will get better. It will. I promise.”

One year when pigs were flying, it snowed her and I made a snow woman. I snow mermaid kind of woman. In the snow.

One year when pigs were flying, it snowed here and I made a snow woman. A snow mermaid kind of woman. In the snow.

He’s said this in some form or fashion every year. His wisdom, compassion and patience has allowed me to feel what I needed to. This year, I’m turning a corner and my glass is half full far more than it’s empty. I’m very grateful I have a glass.

This time of year we all look back on what we’ve done or not done. What we hope to achieve in the coming year. I am excited about 2017 for no other reason than I feel hopeful that I can now temper any anxiety or sadness with wisdom, compassion and patience.

The way in which we learn things is to first take care of ourselves, lovingly and with non-judgement. Only then, can we give that to others.

If we use wisdom gleaned from experience, be patient with someone who may be going through something we don’t understand and do so, with compassion, it’s powerful. It extends into the Universe and the ripple effect can be magnificent.

I wish all of that for anyone reading this. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and the very best wishes to you and yours—warmly, compassionately and with love.

Now, please give that to yourself or to someone—it’s the best gift there is.

Peace. Love. Light.  Pretty good gifts to give.

Peace. Love. Light.
Pretty good gifts to give.

16 thoughts on “Two Days Before Christmas

  1. So glad you’ve reached this point in your Life’s journey, Brigitte. As the poet said, “…the best is yet to be…”

    Merry Christmas, dear friend! 😉 xoxoM

    Posted by Margarita | December 23, 2016, 12:44 pm
  2. Wishing you a holiday filled with love and peace, Brigitte.

    Posted by Sally | December 23, 2016, 7:21 pm
  3. Youre a good soul ( with a very wise and loving husband)
    Merry Christmas and thanks for the pure goodness, Ms. B.

    Posted by UpChuckingwords | December 23, 2016, 8:54 pm
  4. Merry Christmas Brigitte to you and yours. I sense the positive side of the middle. 🙂 … Keep smiling!

    Posted by aFrankAngle | December 24, 2016, 10:11 am
  5. I love what your husband said to you. He’s a wise man to be so insightful. Merry Christmas to you, Brigitte!

    Posted by Carrie Rubin | December 24, 2016, 12:26 pm
  6. Wise thoughts that remind me of one of my favorite quotes — be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Cheers to 2017!

    Posted by Kat at travelgardeneat | January 14, 2017, 2:49 pm

Talk to me, tell me what you think....

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture

Facebook photo

Google+ photo

Connecting to %s

A Gracious Guide To Benevolent Blogging

Word of the Day:

harmony
noun har·mo·ny \ˈhär-mə-nē\

the combination of simultaneous musical notes in a chord

the structure of music with respect to the composition and progression of chords

the science of the structure, relation, and progression of chords

pleasing arrangement of parts : congruence

agreement, accord

internal calm : tranquility

an interweaving of different accounts into a single narrative

a systematic arrangement of parallel literary passages (as of the Gospels) for the purpose of showing agreement or harmony

Copyright Notice

Copyright 2012-2017/All Rights Reserved unless noted
%d bloggers like this: